China...A real threat to the World

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: China...A real threat to the World

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:21 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:42 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:31 pm Boring
Dunners will love it.
I did.

I do think the term "American imperialism" is misused and misplaced by people when they talk about Bretton Woods, the Plaza Accords and the role of the US across the world. Especially in the context of the aftermath of WW2.

Take Japan as an example. Here was a brutal imperialist regime that wrecked havoc, death and destruction across the territories it invaded. It over-reached itself when it tried to take on the Americans, who subsequently nuked them into unconditional surrender.

And how did they Americans punish the Japanese for their conduct? By providing the global trade and security framework that enabled them (and those other great war losers, the Germans) with the means to trade their way to a level of prosperity beyond what they would have achieved had they actually won the war. Not a bad punishment, that.

Sure, it wasn't a free meal ticket (it was essentially a bribe to prevent further expansion of the Soviets). It wasn't perfect. But why should it be?

And if it was such a bad deal, why have the Japanese negotiated with both the Trump and Biden administrations for closer strategic partnerships to the point where they are now paying the Americans for trade access and to maintain a military presence? It's because they have concluded that, for better or for worse, the Americans are a better bet than any of the other options.

Anyway, I'm not sure any of this historic stuff is going to matter for too much longer.
I'm just going to assume you never actually read the article.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:55 am
Dunners wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:21 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:42 pm

Dunners will love it.
I did.

I do think the term "American imperialism" is misused and misplaced by people when they talk about Bretton Woods, the Plaza Accords and the role of the US across the world. Especially in the context of the aftermath of WW2.

Take Japan as an example. Here was a brutal imperialist regime that wrecked havoc, death and destruction across the territories it invaded. It over-reached itself when it tried to take on the Americans, who subsequently nuked them into unconditional surrender.

And how did they Americans punish the Japanese for their conduct? By providing the global trade and security framework that enabled them (and those other great war losers, the Germans) with the means to trade their way to a level of prosperity beyond what they would have achieved had they actually won the war. Not a bad punishment, that.

Sure, it wasn't a free meal ticket (it was essentially a bribe to prevent further expansion of the Soviets). It wasn't perfect. But why should it be?

And if it was such a bad deal, why have the Japanese negotiated with both the Trump and Biden administrations for closer strategic partnerships to the point where they are now paying the Americans for trade access and to maintain a military presence? It's because they have concluded that, for better or for worse, the Americans are a better bet than any of the other options.

Anyway, I'm not sure any of this historic stuff is going to matter for too much longer.
I'm just going to assume you never actually read the article.
I didn't even read the article from which I copy and pasted my reply.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Classic Dunnerism.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Interesting to see some of what was discussed here 18 months ago is coming true
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eport-says
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

The BRICS nations have already started using the Chinese Yuan for cross border trade . Obviously it will take time but the Dollar is on its way out . In years to come I wonder what a Chinese lead world is going to look like .
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

It wont be a Chinese-led world. It will be a multi-polar world but the USA will still be the prime heavyweight. China will be a significant power however, albeit one that will be in the throws of demographic collapse.

The Chinese Yuan will not overtake the dollar in terms of global trade. Even the Chinese don't trust the CCP with the Yuan, hence why its trading is so restricted. The dollar may decline in dominance to some extent, but it is certainly not on its way out.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:23 pm It wont be a Chinese-led world. It will be a multi-polar world but the USA will still be the prime heavyweight. China will be a significant power however, albeit one that will be in the throws of demographic collapse.

The Chinese Yuan will not overtake the dollar in terms of global trade. Even the Chinese don't trust the CCP with the Yuan, hence why its trading is so restricted. The dollar may decline in dominance to some extent, but it is certainly not on its way out.
I hope that's the case because despite its faults I'd still prefer an American lead world .
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:31 pm
Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:23 pm It wont be a Chinese-led world. It will be a multi-polar world but the USA will still be the prime heavyweight. China will be a significant power however, albeit one that will be in the throws of demographic collapse.

I hope that's the case because despite its faults I'd still prefer an American lead world .
I'm not saying it will be US-led. Just that the US will remain the most powerful of all the regional powers, but with a diminishing interest in continuing it post-war foreign policy.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:31 pm

Well yes, although if to say its either China or the USA leading the world, in my book anyway, it really comes down to a bit of a toss up.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

It's getting closer...

“Xi Jinping bluntly told Biden during their recent summit that Beijing will reunify Taiwan with China but the timing has not yet been decided, according to three current and former U.S. officials.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/xi-w ... rcna130087
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

If China is going to do this I reckon they will do it before the 2024 US election . Exploit Biden’s weak leadership . If we can all see Biden doesn’t know what day it is or where to exit a stage then so do our enemies
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

This could go badly...

Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:22 am This could go badly...

The priest is doing Japanese eyes, not Chinese eyes, in the picture you've posted. But I suppose that's all the same to you? :(((
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I hear you're a racist now, Dunners?
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

China is a threat only insofar as it's insecurity might cause it to lash out. But the depth of their internal problems is such that they will likely have their hands full managing their decline over the rest of this century. In an ageing world concurrently suffering the effects of climate change, their insularity will accelerate their decline relative to the West - our ability to absorb immigration will sustain our populations and dynamism rather better than the totalitarian ethnonationalists in China, Russia, Iran etc can
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

OyinbO wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:24 am China is a threat only insofar as it's insecurity might cause it to lash out. But the depth of their internal problems is such that they will likely have their hands full managing their decline over the rest of this century. In an ageing world concurrently suffering the effects of climate change, their insularity will accelerate their decline relative to the West - our ability to absorb immigration will sustain our populations and dynamism rather better than the totalitarian ethnonationalists in China, Russia, Iran etc can
Suella's heid is going to go on fire (along with those of her target audience)

I thought we (the UK) were aiming for the "totalitarian ethnonationalist" badge ourselves. Well, this is awkward.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Here we go...

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Maybe they need some Irish immigrants?

RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Expanding their Belt and Road initiative to Ireland .?
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:03 pm Maybe they need some Irish immigrants?

China doesn't do immigration. They seem to prefer genocide.

Anyway - their own population is on course to be roughly half the size it is today by the end of this century.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Why’s death rate up? Lowering of standards, health care, etc…?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:43 pm Why’s death rate up? Lowering of standards, health care, etc…?
All the olds dying off?
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:43 pm Why’s death rate up? Lowering of standards, health care, etc…?
Death rate isn't up, particularly. Absolute number of deaths is up, because there are more old people.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

OyinbO wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm
Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:03 pm Maybe they need some Irish immigrants?

China doesn't do immigration. They seem to prefer genocide.

Anyway - their own population is on course to be roughly half the size it is today by the end of this century.
Those estimates are now accepted as outdated. Based on the UNs revised figures, their population could reduce from 1.4billion to 750million as early as 2050. The last time a human society experienced that level of rapid decline was the Incas.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

A bit of that, but the inevitability of an ageing society is that your older demographic swells until the dying-off begins. And then the death rate begins to ratchet up.