Migrants crossing the channel

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Migrants crossing the channel

Post by faith1234 »

Send them back or my best view is borrow a submarine or uboat and torpedo the lot
E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

Seems to me that 'Migrants' are not the problem. They are people who want to work and earn a living (unlike many of the indigious population who have aspirations for wealth, expecting wealth as their entitlement but have no skills or talents or interests). Following the devastation of WW2 this country was desperate for migrants (from Commonwealth and other countries) to build infrastructure and serve for the social and economic good. Their work and input is still essential, an integral part of our society.
The current demonisation of channel crossing migrants is just the latest manifestation of the Enoch Powell mode with the added benefit of demonising the European Union.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

I don’t really understand this argument. Of course they want to work. a) I would like to work in Australia but am not allowed because countries have things called borders and b) how many people is too many in this country and if we took in everyone that wants to work, what would the quality of life be like?. There is an infinite supply of people that would like to work here.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

As I see it the main issue in the country is there’s too many people in relation to infrastructure/ services not having kept up. Just look around: hospitals & waiting lists, lack of dentists, roads are more clogged than they used to be, potholes, shortage of housing, young people struggle to get on the housing ladder, schools over-subscribed, prisons full, etc etc.

It’s about quality of life, and our quality of life has dropped as a result as per all the above. The influx of illegal migrants on boats, predominantly male, predominantly not qualified doctors/ dentists/ builders would be my guess, ain’t helping, but is costing us a significant sum of money and drags us down further.

I was brought up with the belief we look after our own first, if we have spare then fine & good to help others, and that logic not only applies to within the family, it applies to within the country too. Others may disagree, that’s fine, we are a free country and we can all have differing opinions, but from opinion polls I have seen, I suspect the majority think enough is enough with the illegal migrants, and are exasperated at the government’s repeated failure to deal with the issue.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

P 8 - Article 19:

"The parties shall make arrangements for the United Kingdom to resettle a portion of Rwanda`s most vulnerable refugees in the United Kingdom, recognising both Parties commitment towards providing better international protection for refugees".

Does this mean that 200 asylumseekers will be send to Rwanda, and then 200 vulnerable refugees will come to the UK from Rwanda?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Absolutely crazy deal that's more expensive than keeping people here.

Can only see it stopped by doing something Trumpian.