Migrants crossing the channel

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Migrants crossing the channel

Post by Long slender neck »

StillSpike wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:51 am It doesn't really matter if some blowhard keeps on bleating "they're all economic migrants". If 75% are granted asylum, then that rather indicates that they're not all economic migrants. Also, that 75% is the number granted asylum on the first go. A proportion of those refused asylum then win on appeal - I believe it's around 10% but can't remember whether that's 10% of the 25% (i.e. 2.5% of the total number) or 10% of the total number (i.e, about 40% of those who appeal)

If only there was a decent, and timely, way of processing applications so that the minority who are not deemed genuine asylum seekers can be refused entry and the majority who are genuine can be brought into the country properly to start getting on with their lives and contributing to society - rather than being banged up forever awaiting the pen pushers.
I know what the rules are, but it doesn't make sense that a person can travel halfway around the world and still be considered an asylum seeker and not a migrant.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:16 am Image
Of all the positive decisions on adult Albanians’ asylum applications in the year ending 30 June 2022, 86% were for women.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

The chart is from gov website, other sources that are more up to date say this

Where do asylum-seekers in the UK come from?

Amongst adults, Albania was the top nationality claiming asylum in the UK in the year ending September 2022 with 13,650 asylum claims. Iran is now second, after being the first every year since 2016.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:20 am
StillSpike wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:51 am It doesn't really matter if some blowhard keeps on bleating "they're all economic migrants". If 75% are granted asylum, then that rather indicates that they're not all economic migrants. Also, that 75% is the number granted asylum on the first go. A proportion of those refused asylum then win on appeal - I believe it's around 10% but can't remember whether that's 10% of the 25% (i.e. 2.5% of the total number) or 10% of the total number (i.e, about 40% of those who appeal)

If only there was a decent, and timely, way of processing applications so that the minority who are not deemed genuine asylum seekers can be refused entry and the majority who are genuine can be brought into the country properly to start getting on with their lives and contributing to society - rather than being banged up forever awaiting the pen pushers.
I know what the rules are, but it doesn't make sense that a person can travel halfway around the world and still be considered an asylum seeker and not a migrant.
Then you don't understand (seemingly deliberately) the concept of asylum. It's been said about a billion times that they don't have to stop in the first "safe" country. Please indicate that you understand that.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:22 am The chart is from gov website, other sources that are more up to date say this

Amongst adults, Albania was the top nationality claiming asylum in the UK in the year ending September 2022 with 13,650 asylum claims. Iran is now second, after being the first every year since 2016.
If asylum claims from Albanians are accepted there appears to be a problem in Albania allowing them to live there lives freely and without persecution. Why have you got it in for them?
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

UK takes a piddling number of refugees compared to other rich European nations, and even worse comparatively to poor nations that share a border with conflict zones.

That said, the deals the EU has with Turkey and particularly Libya are appalling in their own way. The issue is only going to get worse as climate changes makes more and more parts of the world uninhabitable and the idea we can cut ourselves off from the problem of mass displacement is an absolute fantasy.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

StillSpike wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:23 am
Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:20 am

Then you don't understand (seemingly deliberately) the concept of asylum. It's been said about a billion times that they don't have to stop in the first "safe" country. Please indicate that you understand that.
"I know what the rules are", doesn't mean I have to agree with them.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:24 am
Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:22 am The chart is from gov website, other sources that are more up to date say this

If asylum claims from Albanians are accepted there appears to be a problem in Albania allowing them to live there lives freely and without persecution. Why have you got it in for them?
Is it not a safe country?

I don't understand your question as you've written it very poorly.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:35 am
Max B Gold wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:24 am

Is it not a safe country?

I don't understand your question as you've written it very poorly.
If it is, why are people from there being granted asylum in the UK? Is that any better?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Better. If what is?

"Why are albanians granted asylum" was what i was asking.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:25 pm Better. If what is?

"Why are albanians granted asylum" was what i was asking.
Why not?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Because as far as i know, its a safe country.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I get the feeling that many on the left do not care about the difference between a migrant or asylum-seeker as they just want open borders.
faldO
Fresh Alias

Post by faldO »

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:40 pm Because as far as i know, its a safe country.
It is. That's why people from there are being granted asylum in the UK.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:42 pm I get the feeling that many on the left do not care about the difference between a migrant or asylum-seeker as they just want open borders.
we dont have open boarders. Thats why Migrants use airports & Passports. Assylum seekers move mainly to escape dodgy regimes & wars dont they ?
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:42 pm I get the feeling that many on the left do not care about the difference between a migrant or asylum-seeker as they just want open borders.
Can't see any other way in solving this. Always felt just as much akin to people from other lands as well as this one. In the case of those who have inherited land and wealth throughout history, I have less in common.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Started this thread over two years ago and still no solution.

Will the Rwanda bill pass?
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:51 pm Started this thread over two years ago and still no solution.

Will the Rwanda bill pass?
I think it will and get further ‘tweaked ‘ along the way.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

It wont work though.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I still find it funny how, what was so obviously a joke policy, has ended up having to be taken so seriously by the government and could even end up as a full-blown crisis for them.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:06 pm I still find it funny how, what was so obviously a joke policy, has ended up having to be taken so seriously by the government and could even end up as a full-blown crisis for them.
Already a crisis, but you know if it went ahead and was put in action , crossing will more or less stop.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Still at least the Rwandan PM has offered us our money back if we don't send any lucky recipients of a lifetime in the sun. Even John Lewis won't do that after 2 years.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Daily Express bot wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:12 pm
Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:06 pm I still find it funny how, what was so obviously a joke policy, has ended up having to be taken so seriously by the government and could even end up as a full-blown crisis for them.
Already a crisis, but you know if it went ahead and was put in action , crossing will more or less stop.
Wow - and you can prove this?
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

BoniO wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:15 pm
Daily Express bot wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:12 pm
Wow - and you can prove this?

Proof of pudding will be in the eating. If it gets voted through we will see but some of the interviews shown on TV clearly showed economic migrants put off about any possibility of ending up in Rwanda. What is certain these boats cannot keep arriving illegally.