Migrants crossing the channel

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Migrants crossing the channel

Post by Max Fowler »

Dunners wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:47 am
It’s going to take hard work, money, resources, international cooperation and a long-term commitment from Western countries towards reducing global instability and inequality.
Commie.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Lineker tweeted on Wednesday: "I'll continue to try and speak up for those poor souls that have no choice."
I think this is a bit naive. Hes taken the bait and turned this into the media frenzy the Tories wanted.
faldO
Fresh Alias

Post by faldO »

Lineker is right to speak up for those who have no voice, just like he did when he spent a month in Qatar enjoying hospitality at taxpayers expense.

The media are even questioning his tax affairs now, which has more than a whiff of racism about it.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:21 pm
Lineker tweeted on Wednesday: "I'll continue to try and speak up for those poor souls that have no choice."
I think this is a bit naive. Hes taken the bait and turned this into the media frenzy the Tories wanted.
Maybe he just feels he's right and is speaking out for the silent majority who don't want refugees treated like common criminals.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Of all the angles and possible headlines this whole sorry mess could create, the content of Gary Lineker's Twitter account is the least important.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Part of the naivety is that the left wont admit many of these people are not refugees.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:39 pm Part of the naivety is that the left wont admit many of these people are not refugees.
That's one of your stupidest posts since about yesterday.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:39 pm Part of the naivety is that the left wont admit many of these people are not refugees.
Won't they?
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Dunners wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:38 pm Of all the angles and possible headlines this whole sorry mess could create, the content of Gary Lineker's Twitter account is the least important.
At least it's got Suegrey and Sirkier off the front pages.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Dunners wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:38 pm Of all the angles and possible headlines this whole sorry mess could create, the content of Gary Lineker's Twitter account is the least important.
But its the one the white Right Wing Footy fan will Jump on
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

That's not entirely true. I admit to it.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

The Mindsweep wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:38 pm
Fadger looks proper happy doing that !!
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Dunners wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:56 pm ...
As for why this approach is being taken... it serves two purposes:
1. The Tories have identified that amplifying "culture war" issues is one of their best hopes of washing their record from the minds of thicko voters. It's a great wedge issue for them.
2. It's a precursor for a populist campaign to exit the ECHR.
Here it comes. :roll:

Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

The people coming here in their droves, in small boats, is a direct result of Brexit. They hate the EU so much they will do anything to get out of the EU. Anyone tried to put that spin on this topic? Just look how the figures have spiralled since Brexit!
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

I think the Tories have gone too earlier on the only areas where they feel they can get votes at the next election, immigration, culture & gender. We are a long way off and those who already have or have come to a progressive liberal view aren’t going to change that view. However the more information and chatter there is on these subjects and the more enlightened people become, could result in more taking a compassionate view.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

There are nearly 200 missing children due to how severely this government has f*cked up in its handling of asylum applications, and it's barely spoken about in the news. If any of those right wing drones meant a word of what they said when they talked about the real issue being the human suffering caused by traffickers, they would be up in arms about this. But they don't give a toss. It's all about winding up lefties and performative nastiness.

If this law passes, a Jewish person fleeing Europe by boat in the 1930s would have been arrested and jailed indefinitely. It's disgusting and shameful.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Lineker's parallels with the 1930"s should also include the headlines and editorials of The Daily Mail
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

Lineker's parallels with the 1930"s should also include the headlines and editorials of The Daily Mail
But the Daily Mail was openly supporting the Fascists in the 1930's!
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Friend or faux wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:01 pm Lineker's parallels with the 1930"s should also include the headlines and editorials of The Daily Mail
But the Daily Mail was openly supporting the Fascists in the 1930's!
Exactly my point!
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:57 am There are nearly 200 missing children due to how severely this government has f*cked up in its handling of asylum applications, and it's barely spoken about in the news. If any of those right wing drones meant a word of what they said when they talked about the real issue being the human suffering caused by traffickers, they would be up in arms about this. But they don't give a toss. It's all about winding up lefties and performative nastiness.

If this law passes, a Jewish person fleeing Europe by boat in the 1930s would have been arrested and jailed indefinitely. It's disgusting and shameful.
Hundreds of thousands of Jewish people seeking asylum were denied entry to the UK and US in the 30's. It's always been the way of the right and now extreme far right in this country.

As an aside - re the Daily Mail. I regularly pick up one of their Propogandists who works on the online version.

Every time he gets in I always start the conversation with "so tell me what lies have you been publishing today?"

We had a discussion about Lineker the other night unsurprisingly he thought the BBC management were right and I explained why he was 100% bang wrong. I still got my £3 tip.

The next night he was standing at the station rank waiting on his taxi and the look of despair on his face as i pulled in was a joy to behold. Luckily he wasn't my fare but rest assured I will continue to grind him down on all future hires.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Max B Gold wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:00 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:57 am There are nearly 200 missing children due to how severely this government has f*cked up in its handling of asylum applications, and it's barely spoken about in the news. If any of those right wing drones meant a word of what they said when they talked about the real issue being the human suffering caused by traffickers, they would be up in arms about this. But they don't give a toss. It's all about winding up lefties and performative nastiness.

Hundreds of thousands of Jewish people seeking asylum were denied entry to the UK and US in the 30's. It's always been the way of the right and now extreme far right in this country.

As an aside - re the Daily Mail. I regularly pick up one of their Propogandists who works on the online version.

Every time he gets in I always start the conversation with "so tell me what lies have you been publishing today?"

We had a discussion about Lineker the other night unsurprisingly he thought the BBC management were right and I explained why he was 100% bang wrong. I still got my £3 tip.

The next night he was standing at the station rank waiting on his taxi and the look of despair on his face as i pulled in was a joy to behold. Luckily he wasn't my fare but rest assured I will continue to grind him down on all future hires.
Tell him Katie Hopkins pays a £5 tip .
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Is there a safe route to the uk for asylum seekers?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Long slender neck wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:08 am Is there a safe route to the uk for asylum seekers?
From the Commons library:

The UK currently operates several safe and legal immigration routes:

1 - The UK Resettlement Scheme, Community Sponsorship, and the Mandate Scheme are refugee resettlement programmes.

2 - Refugee family reunion visas are available to people who were immediate relatives of people granted refuge in the UK, before they left their country of origin (known as pre-flight relatives).

3 - Nationality-specific bespoke immigration routes are available to some Afghans, Ukrainians, and people from Hong Kong.