Woke watch.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Re: Woke watch.

Post by CEB »

I think I’ve finally got the distinction.
“PC gone mad” is when right wing people have mad ideas about what they think left wing people might do
“Woke” is when left wing people have mad ideas about what left wing people should do
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:19 am West end theatre running black only nights so audiences can be “free of the white gaze”

Surely this is illegal?

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 04074.html
Some people will genuinely be upset by necessary but radical initiatives like this, won't they? :cry:
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Going back to the theatre thing, I don't even understand why you'd use the phrase "white gaze" here unless the production was a 100% black affair, with only black actors. As much as that would be contentious, you could possibly get the logic. But it's got the f*cking Game of Thrones fella in it so imagine he wouldn't be too affected by people of his own ethnicity watching him perform.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

Thinking back to the late 90s, the first time i worked for a charity.
“PC gone mad” was my dad being a bit like “and I bet they don’t celebrate Christmas!” (they did) when there was a Diwali celebration I was going to be working on.

“Woke” was that a project worker actually banned snakes and ladders on the grounds that it was competitive but arbitrary and so could be distressing to the loser
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:18 am Going back to the theatre thing, I don't even understand why you'd use the phrase "white gaze" here unless the production was a 100% black affair, with only black actors. As much as that would be contentious, you could possibly get the logic. But it's got the f*cking Game of Thrones fella in it so imagine he wouldn't be too affected by people of his own ethnicity watching him perform.

I think the answer is “so you get a glowing story about it in the guardian”
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Dunners wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:26 am :D

Obviously, that was never going to be enough. So just to take it to an extra level of lunacy, they state that these nights are for "black-identifying" audiences.
Rachel Dolezal sighs in relief.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:18 am Going back to the theatre thing, I don't even understand why you'd use the phrase "white gaze" here unless the production was a 100% black affair, with only black actors. As much as that would be contentious, you could possibly get the logic. But it's got the f*cking Game of Thrones fella in it so imagine he wouldn't be too affected by people of his own ethnicity watching him perform.
Yeah, but they make him wear a blindfold for these performances. And, just for added protection for the black-identifying audience, he blacks-up, wears a dread wig, and delivers his lines with a patois accent.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

Seriously though, all of that stuff is just culture eating itself. If I sat down and wrote a YA novel (I’m sure I’d go down well in that genre, I hear that that section of society LOVES terfs) and had “how to navigate being a white guy writing”, I’d never get past the decision “do I include black characters because writing as if white is default is regressive, or do I not include black characters because their stories are not mine to tell and I should not put white mens words in black character’s mouths”?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

CEB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:24 am Seriously though, all of that stuff is just culture eating itself. If I sat down and wrote a YA novel (I’m sure I’d go down well in that genre, I hear that that section of society LOVES terfs) and had “how to navigate being a white guy writing”, I’d never get past the decision “do I include black characters because writing as if white is default is regressive, or do I not include black characters because their stories are not mine to tell and I should not put white mens words in black character’s mouths”?
Is this specific to YA novels? Writing about someone who is unlike yourself in one way or another seems a genuine dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation in any case these days.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

YA in particular is highly policed for this sort of thing, and the culture around it could pretty much be seen as the epicentre of “cancel culture” (though publishing as a whole probably isn’t far behind)
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Only just noticed dammed instead of damned. Ouch.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The most under-represented cohort in the media is state educated, non-university educated, younger people, regardless of ethnic background. But that ESG rating needs boosting so...

Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

You ok, dun?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Just annoyed that, once again, I'm excluded from a non-paid opportunity to be exploited as a wannabe Guardian journalist, is all.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Woke Mistress General, Dr Charlotte Proudman, has just launched her campaign to demand a change in the law to require that men obtain a clear "yes" to sex before proceeding.

Here's the poster.

(To be fair, as the intention is to get the campaign noticed, then this could be very successful.)

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Out of interest, how would one verify that you'd obtained a 'clear yes'? Do you need witnesses, or to pause your pashing in the back of the cab/on the living room sofa to get someone to sign a contract or waiver? Otherwise, while the intentions may be admirable (if misguided), everything still comes down to he said/she said.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

That's the problem, and the campaign fails to address it (probably because there's no simple solution).

The closest we get is in the FAQs on the campaign website: https://cpblondon.com/affirmative-consent-uk/#FAQ
WHAT ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF AFFIRMATIVE CONSENT?

Affirmative Consent requires the presence of a “yes” rather than the absence of a “no”. This can be expressed verbally, which is the safest and clearest form of consent. Examples of giving verbal consent include “Yes” or other affirmative statements such as “I’m open to trying”.

If you are not sure you are getting a clear and enthusiastic yes from your partner, it is your responsibility to ask. Consent cannot be inferred from silence or lack of resistance.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Who says "I'm open to trying" ?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Shame the quality ain’t great

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:19 am Who says "I'm open to trying" ?
I'm having more fun thinking of the kind of questions you'd need to be asking to even get that response.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

I immediate thought of these:

Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

So I guess we men have had a good laugh and decided this is a nonsense. Um....is there even one female boarder left on here?
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

The only people who will adopt such obviously unworkable ideas are those who are already enthusiastically very aware of their moral code around this stuff.
Like most stuff like this it won’t penetrate (so to speak) those who actually need to understand consent better
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:40 am Out of interest, how would one verify that you'd obtained a 'clear yes'? Do you need witnesses, or to pause your pashing in the back of the cab/on the living room sofa to get someone to sign a contract or waiver? Otherwise, while the intentions may be admirable (if misguided), everything still comes down to he said/she said.
I think the aim is to stop the 'I thought you were up for it/you didn't say no' defence. At least people would have to outright lie rather than saying it was a misunderstanding. I know someone who didn't report what they considered to be rape because they decided in the moment that the quickest and safest way out of the situation was to put up with it.