Are Lings days numbered?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Are Lings days numbered?

Post by cockhat »

With Kenny Jacket and now Joe Galen (his own choice), where does this leave Ling?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Are Lings days numbered?

Post by Sid Bishop »

cockhat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 pm With Kenny Jacket and now Joe Galen (his own choice), where does this leave Ling?
As Director of football at Leyton Orient FC, well he is for the time being anyway !
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

cockhat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 pm With Kenny Jacket and now Joe Galen (his own choice), where does this leave Ling?
Hopefully shuffled to one side to look after the peripheral functions like academy, overseas camps and women's team.

His vision of Embleton leading an inexperienced coaching team was indulged for far too long, along with those awful tactics.
Loyal_Supporter
Fresh Alias

Post by Loyal_Supporter »

gshaw wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 pm
Hopefully shuffled to one side to look after the peripheral functions like academy, overseas camps and women's team.

His vision of Embleton leading an inexperienced coaching team was indulged for far too long, along with those awful tactics.
As a DOF role should be, as he did under JE.
Kimpon
Fresh Alias

Post by Kimpon »

Hopefully where he should have been long ago, he , like his son carried along for far too long. The man is a spent force. He has the personality of a turnip, we need someone who at least looks and sounds enthusiastically positive.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Why does Gallen joining change anything relating to Ling?
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 pm Why does Gallen joining change anything relating to Ling?
Think about it!
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Gallen is assistant manager , Ling is Director of football , can't see why Ling would leaving any time soon , maybe the powers that be reckon we can afford both 🤔
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

In short, yes.

The whole blue print has been ripped up. Lings vision was of him as dof dictating the style of play that the whole club from first team down to the kids. If any member of staff needed to be replaced, form head coach down, they could be without the need for wholesale changes.

I suspected it was going to change with the appointment of Jackett, but the sacking of Senda and replacing him with Jacketts right hand man has confirmed it.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:32 pm In short, yes.

The whole blue print has been ripped up. Lings vision was of him as dof dictating the style of play that the whole club from first team down to the kids. If any member of staff needed to be replaced, form head coach down, they could be without the need for wholesale changes.

I suspected it was going to change with the appointment of Jackett, but the sacking of Senda and replacing him with Jacketts right hand man has confirmed it.
Lings role will probably change to General manager.
Looking after the paperclips etc.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Jacketts appointment signalled a change in Ling’s role as I don’t think he would have taken the job if Ling was allowed to have any input in First Team matters.
At least if things don’t go well initially then fans should leave ML alone.
Now we need some more incoming signings ASAP hopefully of the quality of Darren Pratley.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

When Embleton was here, we had Ling saying he hardly ever went down to the training ground, only popping his head in to have a look around and show his face.

Gallen has made it pretty clear the training ground is his domain. Jackett will only be popping along to have a look around and show his face. Ling is done.
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

I would imagine Ling is pleased we have a quality 1&2 in through the door. The pressure is off him for now and he can concentrate on whatever DOFs do.

Ling is here for the ling term. Accept it and embrace it.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

A good post that.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

But why has the situation changed today just because Gallen was announced? Surely it changed when Jackett was recruited, because this would all have been part of the plan and something that he'd have stipulated in order to join us. It's not something that has just randomly come about.

Had we wanted to clear Ling from the decks completely we'd have done it by now so I don't think his days are numbered. That said he was clearly shunted back (whether through choice or more likely performance) earlier this year when it was announced that McAnuff would be interim manager but is still here.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Doesn’t his contact end in a few weeks? Or has it got another year?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Ling has brought in all the quality players we are currently losing and i trust he will help find new ones.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:44 pm When Embleton was here, we had Ling saying he hardly ever went down to the training ground, only popping his head in to have a look around and show his face.

Gallen has made it pretty clear the training ground is his domain. Jackett will only be popping along to have a look around and show his face. Ling is done.
Fake news. Thats not what Gallen says.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:14 am Doesn’t his contact end in a few weeks? Or has it got another year?
Well this may be a clue, BBC news report dated 26th June 2019.

Martin Ling: Leyton Orient director of football signs two-year contract extension
26 June 2019.

Martin Ling has signed a new two-year contract as director of football at Leyton Orient.
The former Orient midfielder and manager, 52, returned to the club in June 2017 following a takeover.
Orient gained promotion back into the English Football League in May, just weeks before head coach Justin Edinburgh passed away aged 49.
Ling was involved in the decision to appoint Ross Embleton as interim head coach following Edinburgh's death.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48775874
Last edited by Sid Bishop on Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:40 am Ling has brought in all the quality players we are currently losing and i trust he will help find new ones.
I thought he was only responsible for all the crap players we signed. The good ones were signed by someone else.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:10 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:40 am Ling has brought in all the quality players we are currently losing and i trust he will help find new ones.
I thought he was only responsible for all the crap players we signed. The good ones were signed by someone else.
Very true, give praise where praise is due.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:03 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:44 pm When Embleton was here, we had Ling saying he hardly ever went down to the training ground, only popping his head in to have a look around and show his face.

Fake news. Thats not what Gallen says.
Yeah, it is.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

I hope I'm wrong but I thought in recent appearances he didn't look very well.

Add that to the palpable grumpiness at the press conference, the removal of the need to support son-of-DOF, and the apparent new broom touching everything (management, investors, ground etc) and this might be a good time for him to call it a day.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:32 am

But why has the situation changed today just because Gallen was announced? Surely it changed when Jackett was recruited, because this would all have been part of the plan and something that he'd have stipulated in order to join us. It's not something that has just randomly come about.

Had we wanted to clear Ling from the decks completely we'd have done it by now so I don't think his days are numbered. That said he was clearly shunted back (whether through choice or more likely performance) earlier this year when it was announced that McAnuff would be interim manager but is still here.
But until Senda was sacked and Gallen appointed today, it was only guesswork on our part. The ripping up of Lings blueprint is only confirmed once these changes are announced.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

I thought this thread was going to be about the pressures of Irelands national airline in the face of Covid restrictions and the threat of Ryan Air.