I believe we will need to win all 3

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Re: I believe we will need to win all 3

Post by RicketyCricket »

BigDaddyO wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:19 pm Fylde 2-0 remember ?

Only 6 games ago.
OK sure, Fylde 2 0 aside we haven't won by more than one goal since Maidstone back in January, inluding lower teams in the trophy.

We have won most of those so it's not that important, but I'm just a little concerned re: our actual quality right now, I think we've been pretty lucky to get the win (or draw) in a lot of relatively average performances. I really hope we can continue winning for the last 3, just a tad concerned we aren't easily beating anyone right now.
[/quote]

Like you said I don't think it matters much, as long as we're grinding out results. It's a miracle that we've been able to pick up points recently given the injuries/fatigue. And saying that, the two second half goals vs Eastleigh were among the best we've scored this season, so the quality is there along with the spirit.
Pilsbury
Fresh Alias

Post by Pilsbury »

Good Friday’s results could be massive. Salford and Solihull both have tricky away games on Plastic while we have a tricky home game Harrogate, if we can get 3pts and both Salford (they are unlikely to just carry on winning imo) and Solihull Fail to win, then one win or two draws would be enough for us from the last two games, or even just one draw from the last two games might be enough. The trouble is............we are talking about Leyton Orient so I’m sitting tight and expecting it all to be decided in the final moments of the Braintree game....in our favour!
COYO’s !!!
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I agree with the OP., the only way to be sure is to win all three .
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

The good thing is we are scoring goals again
7 in our last 3
Good to see .
Just need to tighten up at the back .

Jobi should be fit & ready.
Josh is back on fire & macca has found his.shooting boots again.

3 wins 9 points & Cham....s it is .
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:22 pm
BigDaddyO wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:44 am I don't think we will win all 3.
The character in the squad is immense, but we haven't beaten a team by more than 1 goal for ages and the results against Bromley and Halifax were particularly poor. I think we will do Harrogate and Braintree at home, but moors away is going to be tough.
Not being negative but I think there's a real question about how good we actually are right now, especially given all these injuries.
Just hope $alford don't win all their remaining games, though I have a nasty feeling they will.
Then again, if it does go to the playoffs, I fancy this orient team to smash them (for once!).
Fylde 2-0 remember ?

Only 6 games ago.
But we only ever need to win a game by 1 clear goal and three points are ours. Remember the old Arsenal side under Graham what was the chant they used to sing one nil to the arsenal. It’s all you need to win a game of football.

Plus I’d add in the character of the team takes a lot to beat.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

One game at a time. Win on Friday and afterwards look at what happened elsewhere.
All of the top three could slip up this weekend, none have got easy games. Wrexham could even be back in contention.
Theoretically, Orient could lose last three and still be top on goal difference. Though I don't think that is likely.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

I don’t think I could do this every season
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:26 am I don’t think I could do this every season
I could. Better than dropping down divisions or the threat of doing so. Relegation battles are more stressful. I remember last game in 1983 against Sheffield United when it looked like Os would drop into division 4 after just dropping out of division 2 the year before. Fortunately they won 4-1 and everyone was on the pitch at the end.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

RientO wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:34 am
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:26 am I don’t think I could do this every season
I could. Better than dropping down divisions or the threat of doing so. Relegation battles are more stressful. I remember last game in 1983 against Sheffield United when it looked like Os would drop into division 4 after just dropping out of division 2 the year before. Fortunately they won 4-1 and everyone was on the pitch at the end.
Not arguing with your main point - I agree that this is preferable to a relegation scrap - but I do think it's more stressful. And that's because there's more pressure on every match. I remember this feeling from 2013/14, especially towards the end of the season, when you really had to win most of the matches you were involved in. Whereas fighting relegation, typically you only need to win 1 in 4, with a few draws thrown in... my point being that losing matches is generally more impactful when you're in a hell for leather race for the top - and the closer to the absolute top you need to be (like in the first or fifth tier) then the more intense that situation is.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Thor wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am
tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:22 pm
BigDaddyO wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:44 am I don't think we will win all 3.
The character in the squad is immense, but we haven't beaten a team by more than 1 goal for ages and the results against Bromley and Halifax were particularly poor. I think we will do Harrogate and Braintree at home, but moors away is going to be tough.
Not being negative but I think there's a real question about how good we actually are right now, especially given all these injuries.
Just hope $alford don't win all their remaining games, though I have a nasty feeling they will.
Then again, if it does go to the playoffs, I fancy this orient team to smash them (for once!).
Fylde 2-0 remember ?

Only 6 games ago.
But we only ever need to win a game by 1 clear goal and three points are ours. Remember the old Arsenal side under Graham what was the chant they used to sing one nil to the arsenal. It’s all you need to win a game of football.

Plus I’d add in the character of the team takes a lot to beat.
Orient haven't won a league title since 1970. Which means that none of our fans under the age of 60 really remembers what is required to do it. The small handful of recent seasons where someone has won the Premier League losing only 1 or 2 games in the process are anomalous. Historically, even the champions of that division lose up to half a dozen matches over the league season.

And the pattern we've seen this season is pretty typical: cream everyone senseless from August to November, have a wobble over the winter months, then get over the line through spring by clawing your way through injury crises and scabby narrow wins, mainly through character and will to win. It's the stuff of champions.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

OyinbO wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:43 am
RientO wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:34 am
Not arguing with your main point - I agree that this is preferable to a relegation scrap - but I do think it's more stressful. And that's because there's more pressure on every match. I remember this feeling from 2013/14, especially towards the end of the season, when you really had to win most of the matches you were involved in. Whereas fighting relegation, typically you only need to win 1 in 4, with a few draws thrown in... my point being that losing matches is generally more impactful when you're in a hell for leather race for the top - and the closer to the absolute top you need to be (like in the first or fifth tier) then the more intense that situation is.
Since losing to Bromley it has been edgy, but I enjoy that. I tend to look at it from the perspective of everything to gain and nothing to lose. I didn't expect Orient to do any better than making play offs, so right now this is better.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

3 wins and we are champs

The team are quite capable of doing this.

But 2 wins and a draw are Ok

And I can't see Salford winning their last 3 games -
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

just hope we don't have to win our last game and then have to rely on other results.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

greyhound wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm just hope we don't have to win our last game and then have to rely on other results.
As long as Orient end up on top, I could live with it. Looking at the games, neither Salford (@ Hartlepool) nor Solihull (@Dagenham) have a gimme on the last day, whereas I would expect Orient to beat Braintree at home. But as you wrote hopefully it won't be like that and Orient are at least two points clear as is currently the case.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

RientO wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:06 pm
greyhound wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm just hope we don't have to win our last game and then have to rely on other results.
As long as Orient end up on top, I could live with it. Looking at the games, neither Salford (@ Hartlepool) nor Solihull (@Dagenham) have a gimme on the last day, whereas I would expect Orient to beat Braintree at home. But as you wrote hopefully it won't be like that and Orient are at least two points clear as is currently the case.
hope you are on the money friend, don't think the old ticker could stand it ;)
Milo_T
Fresh Alias

Post by Milo_T »

Not sure why everyone's writing off Braintree as a done deal. If you forget their table position and look at results against some of the top teams they are more than able to pull off a shock
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Milo_T wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:31 pm Not sure why everyone's writing off Braintree as a done deal. If you forget their table position and look at results against some of the top teams they are more than able to pull off a shock
would be classic Orient to win at Solihull, then lose at home to Braintree in front of a packed house.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

OyinbO wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:48 pm
Milo_T wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:31 pm Not sure why everyone's writing off Braintree as a done deal. If you forget their table position and look at results against some of the top teams they are more than able to pull off a shock
would be classic Orient to win at Solihull, then lose at home to Braintree in front of a packed house.

does not bear thinking about it. :o
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Braintree beat Fylde last Saturday and have beaten Salford home and away this season so on a given day, they can play.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Worth saying that Fylde are pretty poor away from home though, which also doesn't bode well for their game at Salford.
Leyton Green
Fresh Alias

Post by Leyton Green »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:09 pm
Braintree beat Fylde last Saturday and have beaten Salford home and away this season so on a given day, they can play.
Plus the spanking we gave them at their place earlier in the season, they will be well up for it.