Strong Squad but Underperforming

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Strong Squad but Underperforming

Post by Max B Gold »

This is a myth.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Strong Squad but Underperforming

Post by Long slender neck »

Underperforming average squad imo
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I remember this one from the Sven-era England team.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

I think we have the nucleus of a strong squad, with some decent players, but there are too many others who I just don’t think are good enough and they need moving on come the summer.

Summer dealings will be key if we’re to mount a promotion challenge next season, recent signings have on the whole been fine, so more of the same needed.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I think the squad is Ok for this League. But they just need motivating IMO and I think Jobi can do that. At least, I hope against hope that he can.

COYOs
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

It’s an average to good squad that had an average manager. We now have an unknown and the same squad so will be interesting to see the Jobi effect.

Unfortunately a lot of our better players are out of contract in the summer.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Agree with max. It’s a bit of a worry to me that Jobi has made Clay captain. Sure, he does a job but if there was a player that encapsulates league two it’s him. Lots of huff and puff but little quality and I can’t see a situation where he is leading a team into league one.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Beradogs wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:39 pm Agree with max. It’s a bit of a worry to me that Jobi has made Clay captain. Sure, he does a job but if there was a player that encapsulates league two it’s him. Lots of huff and puff but little quality and I can’t see a situation where he is leading a team into league one.
It is a myth that he is any good. NL at best and struggled there too.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:42 pm This is a myth.
Incorrect, with the right leader we would have easily this season been in the top 3 in my opinion.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:19 pm
Incorrect, with the right leader we would have easily this season been in the top 3 in my opinion.
Therefore, there is only one solution. Sack the owners for wasting their own money.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 pm
Beradogs wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:39 pm Agree with max. It’s a bit of a worry to me that Jobi has made Clay captain. Sure, he does a job but if there was a player that encapsulates league two it’s him. Lots of huff and puff but little quality and I can’t see a situation where he is leading a team into league one.
Harsh and also incorrect. One of the things players know about each other it is who is good and who is crap, stick will be given out accordingly. One thing about Jobi is he don’t need to massage anyone’s ego having played at the top level so his eye and knowledge will be above most players and he won’t be carrying anyone.

Clay is a good player, underrated by people on this forum as he does not hit 50 yard cross field passes to someone’s foot, or beats five men before squaring it for someone to tap in. He grafts, he puts players under pressure, he leads and what we need now is others to follow him, his work rate is first class and a lot of what he does most fans don’t get nor understand.

Yet a 79 cap international and former premier league player hails him and you’re saying he is not very good. Glad Jobi is in charge and not you. He would be one of the first names down on my team with the squad we have.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:22 pm
Therefore, there is only one solution. Sack the owners for wasting their own money.
If you listen to Travis’s recent interview you would have heard him say that the board raised the expectations of the team to promotion, he also said we have a top three squad something which Jobi has said as well. The one questionable point you could make is that they waited too long to remove Ross as now the opportunity to get in to a play off position is that little bit harder. Like they say they are still learning.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:25 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 pm
Harsh and also incorrect. One of the things players know about each other it is who is good and who is crap, stick will be given out accordingly. One thing about Jobi is he don’t need to massage anyone’s ego having played at the top level so his eye and knowledge will be above most players and he won’t be carrying anyone.

Clay is a good player, underrated by people on this forum as he does not hit 50 yard cross field passes to someone’s foot, or beats five men before squaring it for someone to tap in. He grafts, he puts players under pressure, he leads and what we need now is others to follow him, his work rate is first class and a lot of what he does most fans don’t get nor understand.

Yet a 79 cap international and former premier league player hails him and you’re saying he is not very good. Glad Jobi is in charge and not you. He would be one of the first names down on my team with the squad we have.
Work rate, seriously? He's got bags of energy but achieves little.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

Thor wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:30 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:22 pm

If you listen to Travis’s recent interview you would have heard him say that the board raised the expectations of the team to promotion, he also said we have a top three squad something which Jobi has said as well. The one questionable point you could make is that they waited too long to remove Ross as now the opportunity to get in to a play off position is that little bit harder. Like they say they are still learning.
Lets be kind and say Nigel has got this one wrong.
There are at least 5 players in tonight line up that are borderline Non-League.
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

Craig Clay always gives 110%. Jobi will have seen him in training for a few years & how professional he is. In Jobi we trust
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Is it really a strong squad? Widdowson,just doesn’t know what to do with the ball when he receives it and is not strong in the tackle (a weak left back) Orient have no out and out right back.Happe although young lacks pace. Wilkinson lacks pace and can be lazy. Angol and Turley are injury prone. Johnson is often played upfront on his own more often than not against 2/3 CB’s(good luck with that one) McAnuff has been thrown in the deep end and been given very little time to make his stamp on things due to the amount of games being played and is also under a bit of pressure to do well. The team does lack a little pace and creativity but hopefully this may be put right in the summer. Meanwhile we should all get behind the team after all we all want the best for the O’s
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Is it really a strong squad? Widdowson,just doesn’t know what to do with the ball when he receives it and is not strong in the tackle (a weak left back) Orient have no out and out right back.Happe although young lacks pace. Wilkinson lacks pace and can be lazy. Angol and Turley are injury prone. Johnson is often played upfront on his own more often than not against 2/3 CB’s(good luck with that one) McAnuff has been thrown in the deep end and been given very little time to make his stamp on things due to the amount of games being played and is also under a bit of pressure to do well. The team does lack a little pace and creativity but hopefully this may be put right in the summer. Meanwhile we should all get behind the team after all we all want the best for the O’s
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Monkey Boy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:35 pm Is it really a strong squad? Widdowson,just doesn’t know what to do with the ball when he receives it and is not strong in the tackle (a weak left back) Orient have no out and out right back.Happe although young lacks pace. Wilkinson lacks pace and can be lazy. Angol and Turley are injury prone. Johnson is often played upfront on his own more often than not against 2/3 CB’s(good luck with that one) McAnuff has been thrown in the deep end and been given very little time to make his stamp on things due to the amount of games being played and is also under a bit of pressure to do well. The team does lack a little pace and creativity but hopefully this may be put right in the summer. Meanwhile we should all get behind the team after all we all want the best for the O’s
It is a long standing myth that all of the people on this sad excuse for a message board want the best for Orient.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Don’t mind me asking Max B Gold but what makes you say that. Surely football is about opinions.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Monkey Boy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:54 pm Don’t mind me asking Max B Gold but what makes you say that. Surely football is about opinions.
I say it for one reason only. It's true.

Well maybe two reasons. It's controversial.

I hate to break the bad news to you but football isn't about opinions it's about winning on the park everything else is just so much hot air mostly spouted by IMBECILES on here. That's why I avoid football threads and pile into the political threads.

I trust that answers your questions. Toodle pip I've got a hire off the 17.38 train. Speak soon.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Monkey Boy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:37 pm Is it really a strong squad? Widdowson,just doesn’t know what to do with the ball when he receives it and is not strong in the tackle (a weak left back) Orient have no out and out right back.Happe although young lacks pace. Wilkinson lacks pace and can be lazy. Angol and Turley are injury prone. Johnson is often played upfront on his own more often than not against 2/3 CB’s(good luck with that one) McAnuff has been thrown in the deep end and been given very little time to make his stamp on things due to the amount of games being played and is also under a bit of pressure to do well. The team does lack a little pace and creativity but hopefully this may be put right in the summer. Meanwhile we should all get behind the team after all we all want the best for the O’s
It's deceptively strong in some areas, but not balanced as a whole.

Our keeper is L1 standard easily and has saved us so many times this season most clubs in the league would be ecstatic to have him as #1. Seeing him extend contract for next season would be a big boost.

Our CBs are strong, and bringing Turley back into the fold gives is options (sadly now reduced after loss of Thompson). We all know the issue at RB, not so cut and dried at LB and Widdowson coming back frees up our best winger further up the pitch. Need some cover / competition there though.

Our CM is pretty average, individually the players are OK but there's no standout performer. Perhaps Jobi can get that extra 10% out of Clay and Freeman to elevate them into that category. Brophy and Kemp out wide are both decent players and used correctly are assets, lacking in depth there though.

Upfront is probably the most difficult one to call. Johnson was lethal before injury, lets hope he can rediscover that touch. Need to get a lot more out of the likes of Wilkinson, Abrahams, Sotiriou (who seemed to have the confidence drained out of him this season) and Angol (although doubt we'll see him in an Orient shirt again).

Seems like Jobi has made a start on taking the square pegs out of round holes which was great to see but still a lot of work to be done on the tactics and squad before you could say we're really strong from back to front.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

I take your point on board Max and to a certain extent your correct however it doesn’t stop people from having an opinion that’s what democracy is all about. But yes it is on the park that maters.Would just like to see the club get it right for a change.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

gshaw wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:47 pm
Monkey Boy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:37 pm Is it really a strong squad? Widdowson,just doesn’t know what to do with the ball when he receives it and is not strong in the tackle (a weak left back) Orient have no out and out right back.Happe although young lacks pace. Wilkinson lacks pace and can be lazy. Angol and Turley are injury prone. Johnson is often played upfront on his own more often than not against 2/3 CB’s(good luck with that one) McAnuff has been thrown in the deep end and been given very little time to make his stamp on things due to the amount of games being played and is also under a bit of pressure to do well. The team does lack a little pace and creativity but hopefully this may be put right in the summer. Meanwhile we should all get behind the team after all we all want the best for the O’s
It's deceptively strong in some areas, but not balanced as a whole.

Our keeper is L1 standard easily and has saved us so many times this season most clubs in the league would be ecstatic to have him as #1. Seeing him extend contract for next season would be a big boost.

Our CBs are strong, and bringing Turley back into the fold gives is options (sadly now reduced after loss of Thompson). We all know the issue at RB, not so cut and dried at LB and Widdowson coming back frees up our best winger further up the pitch. Need some cover / competition there though.

Our CM is pretty average, individually the players are OK but there's no standout performer. Perhaps Jobi can get that extra 10% out of Clay and Freeman to elevate them into that category. Brophy and Kemp out wide are both decent players and used correctly are assets, lacking in depth there though.

Upfront is probably the most difficult one to call. Johnson was lethal before injury, lets hope he can rediscover that touch. Need to get a lot more out of the likes of Wilkinson, Abrahams, Sotiriou (who seemed to have the confidence drained out of him this season) and Angol (although doubt we'll see him in an Orient shirt again).

Seems like Jobi has made a start on taking the square pegs out of round holes which was great to see but still a lot of work to be done on the tactics and squad before you could say we're really strong from back to front.
No evidence this is a top 7 squad.
I agree it is it is very unbalanced.
Last night we had at least 4 players who are borderline Non league.
Cisse has not come to expectations and Johnson is looking like a flash in the pan, although he could come good again.
So Jobi has got a job on his hands and I think if gets us to 62 points then he has done well.
Any talk of the playoffs is ridiculous.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

So glad you’re not in charge still wrong cos it seems like you’ve given up already. Glad Jobi is in charge cos he is up for the fight and challenge, just back him while he gives it his best shot in the limited time he has.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

Thor wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:03 pm So glad you’re not in charge still wrong cos it seems like you’ve given up already. Glad Jobi is in charge cos he is up for the fight and challenge, just back him while he gives it his best shot in the limited time he has.
I think he is a good choice, but the fact remains that to win 11 out of 16 is not possible.
The players are not good enough.
Ross lost his way but he still had major weaknesses all over the team.
Also none of the much heralded 4 signings have come up to scratch.
The fact is there is a lack of creativity and pace in the side and is reflected in the lack of goals.
A new manager is not going to wave a magic wand and change all that, the same problems remain.
We will improve but not by much. Season finish we will be about 12th with 62 points.