Captain Tom Dies

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Re: Captain Tom Dies

Post by CEB »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:06 am Let me guess - her views on trans people differ to yours?

Lol, look into Jack Monroe if you like, it’s not something I care enough about to try to convince you. But she’s a batshit crazy compulsive liar making a living off of convincing middle class patreon subscribers that she’s actually doing something worthwhile, and her poverty origin story is utter bollocks.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

CEB wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:15 am
TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:06 am Let me guess - her views on trans people differ to yours?

Lol, look into Jack Monroe if you like, it’s not something I care enough about to try to convince you. But she’s a batshit crazy compulsive liar making a living off of convincing middle class patreon subscribers that she’s actually doing something worthwhile, and her poverty origin story is utter bollocks.

lol. Her patreon got hacked. Turns out that last year, when she wrote the sequel to her “Hunger Hurts” blog, in which she talked of using solar outdoor lights indoors to save on electricity, and of for some reason boiling down soap to make shower gel, she was bringing in £10k per month in patreon donations for rewards she never sent out. Since her patreon got hacked, she’s… deleted the blog in question

:D

As with Captain Tom’s family, it’s easy to dismiss scrutiny as rooted in cynicism, or hatred (and with Jack Monroe, there absolutely were a lot of right wing people who hated what she claimed to stand for, particularly if it was genuine) - but grifters know where to grift, and presenting herself as the guardian’s dream, despite being a thick as pig sh*t compulsive liar, was never particularly convincing, but a lot of people found her very useful as the acceptable face of poverty, and so buying one of her books or chucking her a tenner was an easy way to avoid actually doing anything of substance
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

LOL

CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

They really stitched her up with that photoshoot.
What was even funnier was that she went on twitter being like “lol I was NUDE in a bath totally full of coins!! They were going in my mouth and they were so heavy!!” then the photographer posted a photo of her in a beige swimsuit getting into an empty bath, with some coins sprinkled on top of some towels or something with the rest done in photoshop
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

The whole patreon and kofi thing kind of mystifies me a bit. I understand you might want to support people with whom you agree and whose content you like but it mainly seems to be based on vibes and essentially paying people to do stuff they were doing on social media anyway, for very little return, with people not really giving any thought to how much some of these guys must be raking in. Think it was arch-melt SuperTanskii who had a package available for £50 a month or something absolutely insane. Not too dissimilar from Sugar Baby dynamics.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

I like those platforms as a way to help people monetise content creation that otherwise isn’t sustainable - niche podcasts, portrait/figure drawing references etc - but yeah, they’re almost like entrapment for people with a grifting mentality. With people like Supertanskii, Jack Monroe and any number of others who put themselves in the frontline on divisive issues, you can see the marks, absolute idiots who are like “oh, so you are saying X person is a liar?? Well guess what, I’ve just donated to her patreon, and will do so happily! I win, somehow!!”

(Again, I’d also bracket the glinners and related gender critical hangers on alongside those, too. Anyone monetising an opinion is compromised and motivated towards hyperbole and catastrophism IMO)
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Agreed. Once you're taking people's money so directly like that, you've just got to double down and get ever more extreme. They get egged on, essentially. No-one's going to continue to 'chuck you the price of a coffee 🤗' if you ever say "actually guys, I've been thinking about this and...".
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

This thread was bumped on the two year anniversary of this. Good times.

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

CEB wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:01 am
CEB wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:15 am

lol. Her patreon got hacked. Turns out that last year, when she wrote the sequel to her “Hunger Hurts” blog, in which she talked of using solar outdoor lights indoors to save on electricity, and of for some reason boiling down soap to make shower gel, she was bringing in £10k per month in patreon donations for rewards she never sent out. Since her patreon got hacked, she’s… deleted the blog in question

:D

As with Captain Tom’s family, it’s easy to dismiss scrutiny as rooted in cynicism, or hatred (and with Jack Monroe, there absolutely were a lot of right wing people who hated what she claimed to stand for, particularly if it was genuine) - but grifters know where to grift, and presenting herself as the guardian’s dream, despite being a thick as pig sh*t compulsive liar, was never particularly convincing, but a lot of people found her very useful as the acceptable face of poverty, and so buying one of her books or chucking her a tenner was an easy way to avoid actually doing anything of substance
An odd caveat added to her cook book that I can’t say I’ve seen in Gordon Ramsay’s
The publisher and author disclaim all responsibility for damage, loss or injury of any kind resulting from tips or instructions contained in this book.”
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

£29,000 for a life-size statue of Captain Tom, anybody? You could buy a few hot tubs with that.

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

"Commissioned artists in Indonesia" - wonder what their hourly rate was?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

:(

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Boring. I want to see a wrecking ball.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Preferably with the old witch strapped across the front of it.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

I think this is my favourite grift/scandal of all time
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Takes a lot to beat the Jussie Smollet attempted grift
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

That was mental. I just saw the top of this page though and remembered Jack Monroe, too.
E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

I wonder whether Captain Tom had an awareness of being used by his family for their personal motives? I suspect he didn't.
Did he really want to travel to the Caribbean where those family members (who set up the fundraising scheme) took him as soon as Covid restrictions allowed such travel? His death came very soon after. Maybe HE would have been quite happy to stay in his backyard?
Glad the LA ordered the demolition of the swimming pool Capt. Tom's daughter had built without planning permission with some pathetic attempt to make it sound 'charitable' as 'some local oldies could be allowed to use the pool'.
Will we ever see a full account of where the many £millions donated by caring members of the public have been spent?
On reflection: Capt.Tom's daughter and her husband may well have a good career in the party politics if they so wish. :clown Greedy and good at fooling/ exploiting the public. :evil:
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

E10EU wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:26 amMaybe HE would have been quite happy to stay in his backyard?
Expansive grounds of their mansion, hardly a backyard.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

CEB wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:36 pm That was mental. I just saw the top of this page though and remembered Jack Monroe, too.
Fans of outing grifters like Jack Monroe will enjoy this:

https://grift.watch/investigating-jack- ... r-a-thief/
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Dunners wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:02 am
CEB wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:36 pm That was mental. I just saw the top of this page though and remembered Jack Monroe, too.
Fans of outing grifters like Jack Monroe will enjoy this:

https://grift.watch/investigating-jack- ... r-a-thief/
Wow - thanks for that. I'd never really looked into Jack before. I'd followed and applauded her efforts to change the inflation calculations to be more realistic etc (although now I wonder if that really was her doing). She sounds like a not very nice person from this - and has clearly worked out a way to earn a decent living for little / no effort.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

It wasn’t her doing. In fact she did nothing at all
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »