Still annoyed

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Still annoyed

Post by Stowaway »

I promised myself that I would enjoy the game yesterday whatever the result, it’s be a great day out and a celebration. So why was I pretty fed up last night and actually feel quite down today?
Mainly because of the manner in which we lost, I guess. I watched Flynde last week and they were pretty awful, and I was sure we’d win comfortably, I had us down for 3-1, and we could finally put the Wembley hoodoo to bed, surely even we couldn’t lose? Instead we put in a really poor show and ballsed it up royally in front of about 30,000 fans yet again. In the end we left at the final whistle, and went home. The wife and I stopped off at a pub in Victoria just to get a decent beer for once in the day, we had a pint and then got the train back to Crystal Palace.
I’ll get over it, but I’m much more fed up then I thought I’d be. Is it just me?
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Still annoyed

Post by Red_Army »

I think it's just you. It's been a magnificent season and in the grand scheme of things this will be a mere footnote in the season, let alone history of the club.

We won the lottery. We missed the bonus ball, but we'll live with that.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Stowaway wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 pm I promised myself that I would enjoy the game yesterday whatever the result, it’s be a great day out and a celebration. So why was I pretty fed up last night and actually feel quite down today?
Because you care. And that's a good thing.
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

I was so happy to have got back into the EFL we could have lost 6-0 and I would still have gone home with a smile on my face. Fylde are welcome to the cup, ask them if they would swap it for a place in the football league.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

B.whitehouse+10more wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:36 pm I was so happy to have got back into the EFL we could have lost 6-0 and I would still have gone home with a smile on my face. Fylde are welcome to the cup, ask them if they would swap it for a place in the football league.
I'm thankful they beat Salford for us. :D
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

Was more disappointed than I thought I would be. The old Orient of mucking it up on the big day is still there. Fantastic season though
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Not overly surprised that we lost,either.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

aylesburyos wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:47 pm Was more disappointed than I thought I would be. The old Orient of mucking it up on the big day is still there. Fantastic season though
Last season we had 46 big days in the league and mucked it up less than every other team. Good enough for me. Sad we lost the final, more so because as Champions we didn’t do ourselves justice in front of a big audience and that was annoying.

But overall. We won the big prize and that is the only thing that matters. Leyton Orient Champions. What’s to be upset about.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Wasn't surprised we lost and had promised myself I don't care and it didn't really matter.

But then I got right miffed in the last 15 minutes. Shrugged it off easily enough but yeah, was annoying to lose that in the end.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Stowaway wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 pm I promised myself that I would enjoy the game yesterday whatever the result, it’s be a great day out and a celebration. So why was I pretty fed up last night and actually feel quite down today?
Mainly because of the manner in which we lost, I guess. I watched Flynde last week and they were pretty awful, and I was sure we’d win comfortably, I had us down for 3-1, and we could finally put the Wembley hoodoo to bed, surely even we couldn’t lose? Instead we put in a really poor show and ballsed it up royally in front of about 30,000 fans yet again. In the end we left at the final whistle, and went home. The wife and I stopped off at a pub in Victoria just to get a decent beer for once in the day, we had a pint and then got the train back to Crystal Palace.
I’ll get over it, but I’m much more fed up then I thought I’d be. Is it just me?
Sounds to me like you made the mistake of assuming a team's typical level of performance based on one game, and expected them to play just as badly against us
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

Disappointed, yes, certainly with the first half performance. But then I'm 'disappointed' every time we lose. Gutted? certainly not. I had a great day out with the Old Man (who is 88 and has supported the Os all his life). Shame it didn't work out but I was nowhere near as upset as I was after the Rotherham match. Everyone has different expectations though and I went there very much with the mindset that the main job was already done.Actually, I though that was the opinion of most people given the number who have been banging on all season that the Trophy would scupper any chance we had of winning the league. :D
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Why would any team be on a Virtual Holiday for 3 weeks be as sharp as a team that had played 4 games since the season ended.

Dire game from both & they got a lucky free kick & well dispatched goal.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Yesterday’s performance was an abomination..But have to get up pick ourselves up,dust ourselves down ,and start all over again.
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Ditto
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:59 pm Wasn't surprised we lost and had promised myself I don't care and it didn't really matter.

But then I got right miffed in the last 15 minutes. Shrugged it off easily enough but yeah, was annoying to lose that in the end.
:lol: Exactly the same here. Even capped it off by calling the ref a bad word for a pretty innocuous decision in front of the kids and all the neutrals in my section.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

But obviously stayed to clap the players as they came over to us, you’d have to be a right numpty to storm out and not do that.
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

MrB wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:08 pm Yesterday’s performance was an abomination..But have to get up pick ourselves up,dust ourselves down ,and start all over again.
Really??
First half very poor - second half I thought we were the better side but in 50+ years watching this mod, I can think of a few more performances that qualify as 'abominations'! ;)

Onwards and upwards!
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:13 pm But obviously stayed to clap the players as they came over to us, you’d have to be a right numpty to storm out and not do that.
Shame they never came to the fans on the other side of the pitch though.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

O Superman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:16 pm Disappointed, yes, certainly with the first half performance. But then I'm 'disappointed' every time we lose. Gutted? certainly not. I had a great day out with the Old Man (who is 88 and has supported the Os all his life). Shame it didn't work out but I was nowhere near as upset as I was after the Rotherham match. Everyone has different expectations though and I went there very much with the mindset that the main job was already done.Actually, I though that was the opinion of most people given the number who have been banging on all season that the Trophy would scupper any chance we had of winning the league. :D
I’m pleased you managed to watch the o’s with your dad, nothing beats watching the game with your dad. I hope he enjoyed the day if not the result.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Gutted, definitely not. Disappointed in how the team turned up on the day, very. Put a bit of a dampener on the glory of the final league game and with that result would rather Wembley never happened and we end on that amazing high winning the league.

Having been told all season how seriously the club was taking the competition (to the point it jeopardised the title push at times with injuries etc) to then hear how it was suddenly a cup no one was really taking seriously and playing it like a friendly (observations I've read after the game, not words from players or staff) having won the league seems a tad odd.

In the end I think it turned out to be a jolt of reality that perhaps might be needed to avoid a rude awakening next season. If we had to lose to anyone I'd rather it be Fylde given the huge helping hand they gave us in Salford's implosion at the end of the season.

I also think it showed we need more strength in depth and today's retained list conforms CM will be getting some much-needed squad upgrades over summer (well it better had as a Clay / McAnuff partnership as first choice in L2 might be pushing it a bit too far)
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I think with a proper ball winning player there in say the vincelot mould, Clay with his hard running, and JMD suppling the skill and silky touch the middle could actually be a formidable unit. When you look at it like that we are not that far away from being very powerful.
Article_50
Fresh Alias

Post by Article_50 »

For the first time in our 138 history we had the chance of winning a cup final at Wembley and as I said in another thread it was also a golden opportunity for us to gain new support and sell more 2019/20 season.

I'm gutted.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Ok, we didn't play very well on the day but I still think we were unlucky to lose that game . We hit their post three times and on another day all three of those shots would have gone in , that's football. I'm very disappointed we lost at Wembley but we won the thing I most wanted and that was the League title and promotion.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Nobody at work had said anything to me about the defeat. Just about sums it up from a mindset who likes failure and taking the piss.Probably got their head such up the Premiershyte asses and nothing else exists.