Jay Simpson Departs

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

kung floo panda
Fresh Alias

Jay Simpson Departs

Post by kung floo panda »

Cheers for the goal at Barrow Jay
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Jay Simpson Departs

Post by EliotNes »

He'll go overseas for his next club I reckon.

Good luck Jay
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Yes, good luck Jay for the future and thanks for your help.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Not sure this is the right decision.

Good luck, Mr. Simpson.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

Right decision IMHO. Apart from 1 purple patch in his last spell with us hasn't scored regularly. We need to move on, now where's Baz....
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Good luck Jay.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Inevitable.
orienfan64920
Fresh Alias

Post by orienfan64920 »

Would have given him a chance in league 2
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Needs a Non league south side now
Dont think he can put the training in to keep himself fit enough for a Full time season anymore.
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

I was very keen for us to sign him but he did not do enough for a new contract
Constantine
Fresh Alias

Post by Constantine »

It's a shame it didn't work out. I reckon he'd have been more successful when we were playing 4-4-2. I reckon there might still be a league 2 club who will take him on.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

No surprise to me, he did not impress too much. An injury did not help.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Unfit, out of practice the a knock. Never really got the chance to show what he could do. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing against us next season.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

IMO he hasn't done enough in the past here, to warrant the contract he got till the end of the season.
He scored a load of goals up till Christmas, in one season. Apart from that he was very mediocre.
He's been unlucky all his career with injuries and had another during this latest spell.
I wish the lad good luck in future and hope he gets fixed up
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:03 pm Unfit, out of practice the a knock. Never really got the chance to show what he could do. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing against us next season.
From reading what he has said in the recent past ,y guess is he will play abroad once more. China maybe?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Strange it didn’t work out because we had long enough to look at him in training. But based on what he did produce, this is the right decision too.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:19 pm Strange it didn’t work out because we had long enough to look at him in training. But based on what he did produce, this is the right decision too.
Have to agree. I was one of the guilty ones thinking that he was going to smash the League because obviously the club were satisfied he was performing in training.

I think his spell here was one of two halves. First games he had feck all service, but looked a better player than the rest. Got on the scoresheet against Barrow. The televised game against Wrexham, again no service but had some really nice touches.

Don't know if he got injured after that or just dropped, but he missed several games, and on his return looked a bit uninterested and then lost his place in the side again, and even a place on the bench for Wembley.

It was a mistake obviously in hindsight. What we needed was someone to support Bonne, not to compete with him. A partnership between them never developed.
LOFC1948
Fresh Alias

Post by LOFC1948 »

No surprise - IMO Jay is too much in the style of Koroma and Bonne - we need another Harrold type ( Mcallum).
Tom Chance
Fresh Alias

Post by Tom Chance »

Am I right in thinking, if we wanted to offer him a new contract on lesser terms than what he's been on these last few months, we would have to release him and then renegotiate with him ?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:19 pm Strange it didn’t work out because we had long enough to look at him in training. But based on what he did produce, this is the right decision too.
Same thing happened with Nolan. Looking at Simpsons mediocre record since his golden half season, including his spell in USA, no surprise at all to me that his second coming did not work out well. I said the same before his signing on this forum e.g ''that he would not be match fit'' but so many thought he was going to be a lot better than he actually turned out to be. Coming back to him training with us, really surprised that with all the modern technology around at sports clubs now,that the training staff did not suss this out this lack of fitness issue with both Simpson and Nolan. Surely even a couple of hard practice/friendly games would have shown up as a pointer to their personal lack of fitness ? Nolan was so unfit when he played with us, especially at the start, that it was quite obvious for all to see. Seems to me that perhaps the training staff and players get a bit ''Star Struck'' when they get to train with ''big name'' players of the past !!
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Tom Chance wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 pm Am I right in thinking, if we wanted to offer him a new contract on lesser terms than what he's been on these last few months, we would have to release him and then renegotiate with him ?
Yes I think you are correct. If we were to offer him a new contract it would have to be on at least the same terms as before. Generally the new contract is always on a higher wage without fail.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Thor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:00 pm
Tom Chance wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 pm Am I right in thinking, if we wanted to offer him a new contract on lesser terms than what he's been on these last few months, we would have to release him and then renegotiate with him ?
Yes I think you are correct. If we were to offer him a new contract it would have to be on at least the same terms as before. Generally the new contract is always on a higher wage without fail.
Time to move on from the Cox, Mooney, Lisbie, Simpson etc era.
I notice that Mooney ended up playing for Harlow Town end of this season.
Wonder what Cox will do when he gives up playing for these lower level, non FL Clubs ?
He has a connection with Sammy Moore, so perhaps a tie up with him, coaching or similar ?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Perhaps Salford will sign him.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:16 pm
Thor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:00 pm
Time to move on from the Cox, Mooney, Lisbie, Simpson etc era.
I notice that Mooney ended up playing for Harlow Town end of this season.
Wonder what Cox will do when he gives up playing for these lower level, non FL Clubs ?
He has a connection with Sammy Moore, so perhaps a tie up with him, coaching or similar ?

Did you go over Harlow and watch Moons play? If so did he do ok?
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

eagwgw wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:27 pm I think his spell here was one of two halves. First games he had feck all service, but looked a better player than the rest. Got on the scoresheet against Barrow. The televised game against Wrexham, again no service but had some really nice touches.

Don't know if he got injured after that or just dropped, but he missed several games, and on his return looked a bit uninterested and then lost his place in the side again, and even a place on the bench for Wembley.

It was a mistake obviously in hindsight. What we needed was someone to support Bonne, not to compete with him. A partnership between them never developed.
Have to agree with most of this. He looked a class above initially, particularly some of his movement with the ball, but without the match sharpness and service to really trouble defences. He was injured in the Wrexham game, when he put everything into a burst down the right-wing to try to get on the end of a slightly-overhit ball.

I don't think it was a mistake though to try and add him to the squad. With Koroma injured at the time, we needed someone other than Harrold and Alabi to play with Bonne - in hindsight it didn't work as a partnership, but I think it was worth a go.
Last edited by A Pedant on Tue May 21, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.