What did Kids to for Education, during the war?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

What did Kids to for Education, during the war?

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

The question is slightly rhetorical, because no one who uses this forum born was alive during the last war, but the war lasted 5 years, so it must have destroyed children's education.
What kids are going through now, is nothing compared to that period...and we have laptops now, which makes for online education
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: What did Kids to for Education, during the war?

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

My aunt was born in 1936. She is as thick as sh*t.

It's a worry, for sure.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

My Dad was an evacuee during the war - his first day at George Monuox and he trooped down to the school with his bags to be put on a bus away from the bombing

We talked about the disruption to his education last summer, and it was undoubtedly very disruptive. They essentially had to run 2 schools in the one school building and they managed it somehow. He raised the subject and was pointing out that the disruption our kids are experiencing right now is obviously different, but not necessarily more serious that his generation felt.

He's a absolute brainbox with about 3 degrees, the last being a Masters from Imperial (where he also took the time to Captain their University Challenge team to the final that year)
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

My late brother was born in 1931. He suffered worse than all of us. During WWII he was shifted to Nottingham, Newbury & S.Wales ( for the longest period ). He never said as much, but it must have been very traumatic for him. My mum and her sister lived together with their husbands in Camden Town & then Tufnell Park. My brother & his cousin were almost like brother & sister ( she was about 18 months older ). As soon as the blitz started my aunt moved with my cousin to S.Wales as her husband had shell shock from the WWI.
For the latter years of WWII my brother was reunited with our cousin and he went to school in Cilfynydd. His education suffered enormously. But he could read & write ok. He was very much a Cockney, but could do a brilliant Welsh accent. He didn't like football but did Rugby. My cousin who was 11 when she moved to Wales & had passed her 11+ and went to Pontypridd Grammar and she ended up marrying a bloke who worked for MI5! In Cilfynydd my brother and his cousin shared a bed and in latter life bragged about it ( but claimed all was innocent- but she claimed that she taught him to kiss properly and they set the bed on fire ).
He felt disadvantaged being shuffled around and had a multitude of jobs after leaving school. when he was about 45 he became a buyer for BP and did incredibly well and earned loadsa money. I think all his moving around gave him a good education of life and he was an expert at bull-sh-tting, which aided him ( I found it sometimes embarrassing ). But I think it shows that kids can cope with crises in different ways.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

StillSpike wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:23 pm He's a absolute brainbox with about 3 degrees, the last being a Masters from Imperial (where he also took the time to Captain their University Challenge team to the final that year)
Brilliant! Do you have recordings of it or was it before the days of VHS? My daughter has also applied to do a masters at Imperial (Chemistry), but is put off a bit by the requirement to do a foreign language.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:15 pm My aunt was born in 1936. She is as thick as sh*t.

It's a worry, for sure.
Must run in the family?
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

StillSpike wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:23 pm My Dad was an evacuee during the war - his first day at George Monuox and he trooped down to the school with his bags to be put on a bus away from the bombing

We talked about the disruption to his education last summer, and it was undoubtedly very disruptive. They essentially had to run 2 schools in the one school building and they managed it somehow. He raised the subject and was pointing out that the disruption our kids are experiencing right now is obviously different, but not necessarily more serious that his generation felt.

He's a absolute brainbox with about 3 degrees, the last being a Masters from Imperial (where he also took the time to Captain their University Challenge team to the final that year)
Shame you never benefited from his natural academic ability then.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Clive Evans wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:46 pm My late brother was born in 1931. He suffered worse than all of us. During WWII he was shifted to Nottingham, Newbury & S.Wales ( for the longest period ). He never said as much, but it must have been very traumatic for him. My mum and her sister lived together with their husbands in Camden Town & then Tufnell Park. My brother & his cousin were almost like brother & sister ( she was about 18 months older ). As soon as the blitz started my aunt moved with my cousin to S.Wales as her husband had shell shock from the WWI.
For the latter years of WWII my brother was reunited with our cousin and he went to school in Cilfynydd. His education suffered enormously. But he could read & write ok. He was very much a Cockney, but could do a brilliant Welsh accent. He didn't like football but did Rugby. My cousin who was 11 when she moved to Wales & had passed her 11+ and went to Pontypridd Grammar and she ended up marrying a bloke who worked for MI5! In Cilfynydd my brother and his cousin shared a bed and in latter life bragged about it ( but claimed all was innocent- but she claimed that she taught him to kiss properly and they set the bed on fire ).
He felt disadvantaged being shuffled around and had a multitude of jobs after leaving school. when he was about 45 he became a buyer for BP and did incredibly well and earned loadsa money. I think all his moving around gave him a good education of life and he was an expert at bull-sh-tting, which aided him ( I found it sometimes embarrassing ). But I think it shows that kids can cope with crises in different ways.
Very interesting, thank you.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Dunners wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:51 pm
StillSpike wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:23 pm He's a absolute brainbox with about 3 degrees, the last being a Masters from Imperial (where he also took the time to Captain their University Challenge team to the final that year)
Brilliant! Do you have recordings of it or was it before the days of VHS? My daughter has also applied to do a masters at Imperial (Chemistry), but is put off a bit by the requirement to do a foreign language.
Can she not study a language she is familiar with like English? Bit rare in much of the UK these days.
Sailor
Fresh Alias

Post by Sailor »

Many East End children were pushed into manual jobs, no need for a good education.

Most, not all mind,,
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

I think Dad may have bought a VHS machine especially - it was in 1986 - I certainly remember watching a tape of it - they had some pretty good wins on the way to the final, where they lost to Jesus - Oxford. I must try to get hold of the tape at some point. A quick google about fails to find any footage online.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Oiram wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:55 pm
StillSpike wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:23 pm My Dad was an evacuee during the war - his first day at George Monuox and he trooped down to the school with his bags to be put on a bus away from the bombing

Shame you never benefited from his natural academic ability then.
Waaaay too lazy.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Oiram wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:53 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:15 pm My aunt was born in 1936. She is as thick as sh*t.

It's a worry, for sure.
Must run in the family?
The only thing that runs in our family is noses.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

StillSpike wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:07 pm
I think Dad may have bought a VHS machine especially - it was in 1986 - I certainly remember watching a tape of it - they had some pretty good wins on the way to the final, where they lost to Jesus - Oxford. I must try to get hold of the tape at some point. A quick google about fails to find any footage online.
Spooky - Jesus college is where she's also applied (should hear next Tuesday).

I generally get excited if I manage more than two correct answers per episode, so full respect for anyone able to properly compete.

Here's the results from that '86 season: www.blanchflower.org/uc/uc86.html It looks like Jesus absolutely smashed it in that final.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Dunners wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:17 pm

I generally get excited if I manage more than two correct answers per episode, so full respect for anyone able to properly compete.

Here's the results from that '86 season: www.blanchflower.org/uc/uc86.html It looks like Jesus absolutely smashed it in that final.
The Lord is mighty
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

He's very good - still is. Rumour has it that LOFT only won the Supporters Club quiz in May 2001 because they had a certain ringer in.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:02 pm The question is slightly rhetorical, because no one who uses this forum born was alive during the last war, but the war lasted 5 years, so it must have destroyed children's education.
What kids are going through now, is nothing compared to that period...and we have laptops now, which makes for online education

err they went to school

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/growing- ... -world-war
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Oiram wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:02 pm
Can she not study a language she is familiar with like English? Bit rare in much of the UK these days.
We didn't fight in the trenches for Brexit to have to have are kids learn forrin!
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Top Thoring! :lol:

Good luck for next week.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

It's a worry, for sure.
:lol:
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Pig ignorant racist tw*t.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

BoniO wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:21 pm

I am not racist. Stop sprinkling that word around like confetti you presumptuous oaf.

Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

StillSpike wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:26 pm

He's very good - still is. Rumour has it that LOFT only won the Supporters Club quiz in May 2001 because they had a certain ringer in.
Oi!!!!! I had a team at that. I’ll see if I can get Mike Pence to get proceedings reopened as there must be some missing points still around somewhere that could get the result overturned.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Oiram wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:29 pm
BoniO wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:21 pm

I am not racist. Stop sprinkling that word around like confetti you presumptuous oaf.

When you stop making racist comments then there will be no need to call you out on it. Quite simple really!