HIGHLIGHTS: Leyton Orient 2-3 Grimsby Town

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

HIGHLIGHTS: Leyton Orient 2-3 Grimsby Town

Post by Lovejoy »

Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Re: HIGHLIGHTS: Leyton Orient 2-3 Grimsby Town

Post by Cheshunto »

Shame it doesn’t show where we should have got a penalty right at the end
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Cheshunto wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:51 am Shame it doesn’t show where we should have got a penalty right at the end
If they showed that, they would have had to show Josh Wright’s handball in the lead up to it
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Clay gets the ball, doesn’t he?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Orient Punxx wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am Clay gets the ball, doesn’t he?
:lol:

Yes I know Ling isn’t up to it but sticking akinola isn’t a right back either. He had a hand in both the first and second goals.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

Why don't teams have a man on the post at corners at anymore ?
Always did in my playing days.
You have a man on the post for the 2nd goal & it gets cleared off the line.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

O my gawd wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:30 am Why don't teams have a man on the post at corners at anymore ?
Always did in my playing days.
You have a man on the post for the 2nd goal & it gets cleared off the line.
I think it was the first goal, but I agree and thought the same, nobody on the line.
I think that Turley loses his man and it was a good header.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Clay tried to pull the player back as soon as he got the ball but failed miserably. He took the man alright but he had probably overrun the ball anyway, so there was no need to touch him.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Lovejoy wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:10 am Clay tried to pull the player back as soon as he got the ball but failed miserably. He took the man alright but he had probably overrun the ball anyway, so there was no need to touch him.
And Brophy may well have got a block in.

Turley badly exposed for the first (I think Vig will be upset he's not saved that), but their second was a well worked angled run. I think most L2 defenders get done by that move.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Clay was an utter utter bellend in that penalty scenario
Whitey19
Fresh Alias

Post by Whitey19 »

•1st goal Turley has to do better. His man gets a yard on him and gets beat in the air. Thought his aerial presence was meant to be his strength
•2nd goal ball gets lost on the halfway line leaving the back 4 high and exposed. What I can’t understand is why both CBs stand still rather the drop off to try and eat up the space behind them. So poor. Akinola must do better in tracking his man. Has 2 yards on him at the beginning.
•3rd goal. Clay needs to take the booking earlier or stay on his feet. Had men around him to help poor decision from him.

Overall we seem to be scared to play on the front foot. Always play the easy pass sideways or back rather than play forward first. Seems like there’s a safety first mentality rather than let’s play on the front foot. Always chasing the game. Take those late goals away in the early fixtures and the start to the season has been dreadful. Spend 60% of games being dominated.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Wright - a negative back passer who contributes nothing
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Wilkinson - not as good as he thinks he is.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:38 am Clay was an utter utter bellend in that penalty scenario
Frustration.

Frustrated that he didn't get him first time, frustrated that he'd been pulled from pillar to post all game and probably frustrated he's ended up at right back when we 5 right backs on the bench.

You can tell the players have the bumhole about it all. All game we were whinging and harping on about stuff, then Ross at the the end of the game where the camera should have switched off, and don't forget Widdowson and Vigouroux yellow cards after the game on Tuesday night.

Gotta get Ross out.
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Just watched the goals on game highlights and firstly i thought both our goals were quality goals. Ruels footwork and pass for Wilkinson's goal was top drawer and the finish matched it. JMD real piece of individual skill and great finish.
Grimsby's first Turley loses his man end of story!...second goal Ruel's touch is poor but there next phase of play and finish you have to give them credit and no blame attatched to Akinola. The third goal was too easy, at that time in the game we had three or four chances to end their play by committing a foul further up the pitch, in the end Clay commits foul in the area, a definite penalty.
Just watched their 2nd goal again and what others said is correct, Akinola did have two yards on their forward and lost him. Some of these young premier defenders have probably never played a demanding physical game where three points and something involving pressure are at stake. We either prosper with their skills and on other occassions pay dearly with their naivety.
Last edited by AckneyAwks on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

AckneyAwks wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:52 am Just watched the goals on game highlights and firstly i thought both our goals were quality goals. Ruels footwork and pass for Wilkinson's goal was top drawer and the finish matched it. JMD real piece of individual skill and great finish.
Grimsby's first Turley loses his man end of story!...second goal Ruel's touch is poor but there next phase of play and finish you have to give them credit and no blame attatched to Akinola. The third goal was too easy, at that time in the game we had three or four chances to end their play by committing a foul further up the pitch, in the end Clay commits foul in the area, a definite penalty.
Spot on
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:55 am
AckneyAwks wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:52 am Just watched the goals on game highlights and firstly i thought both our goals were quality goals. Ruels footwork and pass for Wilkinson's goal was top drawer and the finish matched it. JMD real piece of individual skill and great finish.
Spot on
How can Akinola not get blamed for their second?
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:02 am
Spot on
Just watched their 2nd goal again and what others said is correct, Akinola did have two yards on their forward and lost him. Some of these young premier defenders have probably never played a demanding physical game where three points and something involving pressure are at stake. We either prosper with their skills and on other occassions pay dearly with their naivety.
I corrected myself after watching their 2nd goal again, agree with you.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Whitey19 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 am
•3rd goal. Clay needs to take the booking earlier or stay on his feet. Had men around him to help poor decision from him.

Overall we seem to be scared to play on the front foot. Always play the easy pass sideways or back rather than play forward first. Seems like there’s a safety first mentality rather than let’s play on the front foot. Always chasing the game. Take those late goals away in the early fixtures and the start to the season has been dreadful. Spend 60% of games being dominated.
Clay was already on a yellow, in his defence he probably had that on his mind, as a foul there would have been another yellow and off.

And the rest of the comments by Whitey I agree with.

We are so slow moving forward when we have possession, by which time the opposition have formed their defence and are marking our forwards tight. All opposition must know this as they have scouts so play against us accordingly.

It'll be interesting what panic changes are again made for the next game in the hope they bring a solution and a win.

COYOs
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Didn’t clay get booked for the pen?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:29 am Didn’t clay get booked for the pen?
Yes he did, thought it was a red at first
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Spot on
It's a poor touch from Ruel and their number 8 is on the loose ball straight away. Cisse, Wright and Clay are all in Grimsby's half. None of them close down the number 8 at all (infact, none of them sprint back to eventry and help out). Turley leaves the space between him and Akinola wide open, doesn't shift across to make it smaller. Their number 10 is absolutely rapid and had a massive gap to run at. As the ball is about to be played in between Turley and Happe, Turley stops and watches the ball go past him for the number 10 to run on to. It was a great touch and finish.

As the senior man in that defence, Turley knew the only danger was coming from the run coming from his right. He failed to close the space down in the first place and then he failed to drop off to stop the ball in behind.

You tell me how Akinola stops that goal. Other than running faster.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Cisse was at fault for the second with an overhit five yard pass to Ruel. Time to move on to Tranmere
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:31 am
Spot on
It's a poor touch from Ruel and their number 8 is on the loose ball straight away. Cisse, Wright and Clay are all in Grimsby's half. None of them close down the number 8 at all (infact, none of them sprint back to eventry and help out). Turley leaves the space between him and Akinola wide open, doesn't shift across to make it smaller. Their number 10 is absolutely rapid and had a massive gap to run at. As the ball is about to be played in between Turley and Happe, Turley stops and watches the ball go past him for the number 10 to run on to. It was a great touch and finish.

As the senior man in that defence, Turley knew the only danger was coming from the run coming from his right. He failed to close the space down in the first place and then he failed to drop off to stop the ball in behind.

Not a case of running faster, it was a case of running earlier.

Lots of other players at fault as well, of course, but Akinola didn’t anticipate the run soon enough. If that was ling, I doubt you’d have been so generous.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:25 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:31 am

Not a case of running faster, it was a case of running earlier.

Lots of other players at fault as well, of course, but Akinola didn’t anticipate the run soon enough. If that was ling, I doubt you’d have been so generous.
Completely wrong.