The trans debate

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

The trans debate

Post by Long slender neck »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54450273

I don't know if I 100% believe in the concept of being trans, but I certainly believe children shouldn't be experimented on.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: The trans debate

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Not enough arguing on the board for you today?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

They should Nationalise them asap.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

BoniO wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:50 pm They should Nationalise them asap.
Just another form of disaster capitalism.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:47 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54450273

I don't know if I 100% believe in the concept of being trans, but I certainly believe children shouldn't be experimented on.
I 100% believe you haven't actually understood that article.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Children shouldn't be able to consent to dangerous treatments like these.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:54 pm Children shouldn't be able to consent to dangerous treatments like these.
Why not?
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

They may or may not, but there's already clear guidance on how to assess it and I'd be amazed if that's overturned by this case.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

They're not mature enough. Going through puberty could help them
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Do you believe it's possible to be born in the 'wrong' body Mick? I think that's a terrible message.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

We're saying to kids you're too young to have a cigarette because it's harmful to your health. However, we'll let you take drugs to stop your puberty or lob your cock and balls off and make you a fanny if you and your parents agree 🤷🏻‍♂️
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Yeah that's a direct comparison, and the whole point of puberty blockers is that it's recognised that children can't be allowed to make a decision which would be irreversible. Great points.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Still, give your obviously massive nuts a little stroke through your pocket to celebrate that you've got a response.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Mick McQuaid wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:57 pm Yeah that's a direct comparison, and the whole point of puberty blockers is that it's recognised that children can't be allowed to make a decision which would be irreversible. Great points.
Cutting off a child's penis is reversible? 😂😂😂
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Which is why it's not done. No one under 16 can be considered for anything other than puberty blocking hormones and only then after after a long assessment process and therapy. From 16 to 18 some people are given either testosterone or oestrogen alongside therapy. The Tavistock has never provided surgery, children here do not and cannot have gender reassignment surgery.

I don't see it as any of my business to question what someone feels about or wants to do with their body. If someone feels that they've been born in the wrong body why would I think I know better? It's not something I know a huge amount, but I've got to know one young transgender lady pretty well over the last year or so. I wouldn't say that gives me any more insight into anything other than her experience but she's never talked about being born in the wrong body, or being in any way traumatised by being born male. I'm sure she will have reassignment surgery at some point but day to day it's really not an issue for her.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

My local Working men's club where i sometimes help ou behind the bar has variety shows with gays lesbians and transvestites on stage , call me old fashioned but i find it all quite distastefull 🤔🤔
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

BIGRON wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:12 pm My local Working men's club where i sometimes help ou behind the bar has variety shows with gays lesbians and transvestites on stage , call me old fashioned but i find it all quite distastefull 🤔🤔
Old-fashioned? More likely homophobic. :lol:
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Mick McQuaid wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:51 pm Which is why it's not done. No one under 16 can be considered for anything other than puberty blocking hormones and only then after after a long assessment process and therapy. From 16 to 18 some people are given either testosterone or oestrogen alongside therapy. The Tavistock has never provided surgery, children here do not and cannot have gender reassignment surgery.

I don't see it as any of my business to question what someone feels about or wants to do with their body. If someone feels that they've been born in the wrong body why would I think I know better? It's not something I know a huge amount, but I've got to know one young transgender lady pretty well over the last year or so. I wouldn't say that gives me any more insight into anything other than her experience but she's never talked about being born in the wrong body, or being in any way traumatised by being born male. I'm sure she will have reassignment surgery at some point but day to day it's really not an issue for her.
Someone from the Tavistock no less.

And I guess all the alien hormones you pump into children is done cautiously, right?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51806962
Last edited by Currywurst and Chips on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Seems to me that the blockers are just the start of a conveyor belt of 'treatment'.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Seems you know f*** all then.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

It's a topic that interests me, I'm not an expert but I know more than 'f*** all'.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

What, like in an Alan Partridge way? Find it all a bit confusing?

Pam, obviously I don't work at the Tavistock, you great f*cking dolt, I think I'd probably claim a little more knowledge if I did. It's obviously something you hold deeply held and passionate views about and while I disagree with you I respect your right to hold them/continue with the same lazy shtick you've rolled out literally every day for the last five years.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Mick McQuaid wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:19 am What, like in an Alan Partridge way? Find it all a bit confusing?

Pam, obviously I don't work at the Tavistock, you great f*cking dolt, I think I'd probably claim a little more knowledge if I did. It's obviously something you hold deeply held and passionate views about and while I disagree with you I respect your right to hold them/continue with the same lazy shtick you've rolled out literally every day for the last five years.
Cheers for indulging
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

If you don't believe you can be born in the wrong body why would you support children being treated for it with drugs and surgery?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Its a complex issue which I have differing opinions on, depending on the element.

If it was my child I would do my absolutely very best to support them and help them into being themselves. But I'd also try to do the very hard job of convincing them to wait. Your body and your mind changes so much before and after puberty. The things I wanted at 10 were very different at 16, as were the things i wanted at 23 are different today, ten years later. It's hard to understand that when you are young though and ultimately it's very difficult for anyone if they cant be themselves, no matter what age. I think you need to balance listening, understanding and your responsibility as a guardian.