Smart Meters

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Smart Meters

Post by Thor »

When this was called out back in the day people were labelled conspiracy theorists. Well it looks like they were right

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills ... ation.html
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Smart Meters

Post by Adz »

Thor wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 pm When this was called out back in the day people were labelled conspiracy theorists. Well it looks like they were right

In what way were they right? The government are being transparent about the proposed legislation and a new meter is needed for this. So the conspiracy theories around the existing meters were bunkum
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I'd rather just have a power cut than a company somewhere deciding what they can switch off in my own home.

Haven't got one and unless you're not on the ball, they won't save you money. Always been about control.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Not got one and continue to refuse the endless calls suggesting I have one fitted. Funny, I sort of worked out some time ago switching off devices, controlling heating etc reduces usage.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

May not happen in the next 5 years but in 20 IMO what is said here will have come about.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Dohnut wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:13 am Not got one and continue to refuse the endless calls suggesting I have one fitted. Funny, I sort of worked out some time ago switching off devices, controlling heating etc reduces usage.
On the large Pharma company production site that I worked on, part of my duties was to take weekly meter readings from around 50 assorted gas, water and electric meters and then work out the individual weekly usage of water, gas and electric for each area that the meter was monitoring, so I am quite capable of reading my own gas and electric home meters once a month and in fact I enjoy working out my own monthly gas and electric bills !
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Thor wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 pm When this was called out back in the day people were labelled conspiracy theorists. Well it looks like they were right

Also been told by a couple of mates (that don't know each other) that their bills have actually gone up for electric and water with these.

Luckily I can't have a water meter fitted something to do with the way the water comes into the house.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

JimbO wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:36 am

Also been told by a couple of mates (that don't know each other) that their bills have actually gone up for electric and water with these.

Luckily I can't have a water meter fitted something to do with the way the water comes into the house.
If its like my house, ithe through the holes in the thatched roof
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

I like the water meter I have had fitted, as a single person living in a house, my water bills have been cut by around half of what they used to be. If many people are living in a house and using lots of water, then bills will be more than if no water meter was fitted. I do not trust the technology of the electric and gas smart meters. The most ridiculous thing is that many of the first electric and gas smart meters that were fitted by the power company's would not work if you moved to another power company, wasting hundreds of millions of pounds ! I mean what sort of forward planning was that ?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

So in other words, in this crazy rush to convert us all to having electric cars, the powers to be did not take into consideration the extra output that would needed to be provided by electric power stations, something that any down to earth and sensible person worked out years ago, well i did anyway !
Now talk of wasting even more money by having to install yet another lot of meters, third generation ones ! Well every time these meters are fitted in the house, from reports I have seen, the price for doing so is estimated at around £400 per household, so the price for a house that has had all 3 fitted and the first two removed, cost of around £1200 for doing so !! So who pays for all this then ? Well all to be added to the cost of the electric and gas bills that the consumers have to pay !
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

Before I believe the article, has this been mentioned anywhere other than the Daily Mail (that's become worse the Sun for made up stories).
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:45 am

I like the water meter I have had fitted, as a single person living in a house, my water bills have been cut by around half of what they used to be. If many people are living in a house and using lots of water, then bills will be more than if no water meter was fitted. I do not trust the technology of the electric and gas smart meters. The most ridiculous thing is that many of the first electric and gas smart meters that were fitted by the power company's would not work if you moved to another power company, wasting hundreds of millions of pounds ! I mean what sort of forward planning was that ?
Same for us in a way. Our bill reflected the house rather than occupants. A meter reduced our bill by 60%. Hacks me off I didn’t do it sooner.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Fellowo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:09 pm Before I believe the article, has this been mentioned anywhere other than the Daily Mail (that's become worse the Sun for made up stories).
Or the guardian.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

Dohnut wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:36 pm
Fellowo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:09 pm Before I believe the article, has this been mentioned anywhere other than the Daily Mail (that's become worse the Sun for made up stories).
Or the guardian.
You're confusing made up/lying with bias/left wing themes.

It's tiring how often you do this. Someone says Johnson, you say Corbyn. Someone says Tory, you say Labour. Someone says Daily Mail, you say Guardian. Just say it with your chest man!
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

I've heard that when you touch the pad of the Smart Meter it takes a biometric profile of you and works out:

What drugs you've taken in the last year
The likelihood of dying from high blood pressure
The last time you washed you hands
Your sexual orientation

You have been warned!
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

The Mindsweep wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:15 pm I've heard that when you touch the pad of the Smart Meter it takes a biometric profile of you and works out:

Your sexual orientation

You have been warned!
Thanks - and don't forget the voice and video recorders built in. They'll know exactly how many bacon butties you eat in a week and whether you're a brown sauce or ketchup man. Bastards!
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

The Mindsweep wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:15 pm I've heard that when you touch the pad of the Smart Meter it takes a biometric profile of you and works out:

Your sexual orientation

You have been warned!
You say this in jest, but I am going to join a NHS pre-diabetes scheme recommended by my doctor where you join a group ( all group sessions done over the phone ) and are mentored as to how to bring your blood sugar count down via dieting and exercise etc. Anyway, before joining the group sessions, I had someone phone me up for routine questions, details. First time all ok, second time I got phoned up and the young woman at the other end of the phone went through a further tick list of questions and nearing the end, the questions got around to my own sexual orientation and also was I now the same sex as I was when born ! I was rather astonished at this line of questioning and refused these particular ones on principle. I said what on earth have these questions got to do with reducing my blood sugar level ? I was told that I did not have to answer them but it was a general survey type of thing that the NHS asked of people, In my opinion, a rather odd, unnecessary and intrusive things to be asked by a complete stranger over the phone !
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:36 am
Dohnut wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:13 am Not got one and continue to refuse the endless calls suggesting I have one fitted. Funny, I sort of worked out some time ago switching off devices, controlling heating etc reduces usage.
On the large Pharma company production site that I worked on, part of my duties was to take weekly meter readings from around 50 assorted gas, water and electric meters and then work out the individual weekly usage of water, gas and electric for each area that the meter was monitoring, so I am quite capable of reading my own gas and electric home meters once a month and in fact I enjoy working out my own monthly gas and electric bills !
What an exciting life you lead.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

DuvB wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:25 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:36 am
What an exciting life you lead.
Yes indeed it is !
I find having control of my expenditure, repairing things, working on my house repairs, gardening, repairing cars, cooking, making jams, chutney, marmalade, the work never stops, plus helping others in many other ways is both satisfying and keeps my mind and body active and busy. Far more interesting than sitting around all day and becoming an ever deteriorating, senile old couch potato ! When you retire it is essential to keep doing things to keep your mind and body active as long as is possible.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Good for you Sid. Sounds ace. Hope you're enjoying retirement.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Sid, you should write a blog or something, detailing your adventures.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

PoliticOs wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:52 pm
Or the guardian.

It's tiring how often you do this. Someone says Johnson, you say Corbyn. Someone says Tory, you say Labour. Someone says Daily Mail, you say Guardian. Just say it with your chest man!
First, try and find a decent complimentary post I’ve made regarding Johnson. Other than a better choice than Corbyn, not hard, Don’t bother, don’t exist. My dislike of the guy goes back way before he was PM. Find posts where I’m complementary about Starmer. They are in there somewhere. Your a bit way off here.

I rarely comment about the Guardian, sometimes express amusement at how some read it as gospel whilst ridiculing the mail as lies.

Me. I see the papers as the left and right cheeks of the same ares. They just see the same crap from a different angle.

My opinion of the media, including the Biased Broadcasting Corporation, ranks very low. Tbh as does my opinion of many politicians, not all, left, right and centre
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

I didn't say you complimented Johnson. I said as soon as someone says he is rubbish, you pipe up with Corbyn. See also; Tory/Labour, Mail/Guardian, Left/Right.

You've even done the Johnson/Corbyn thing to yourself in the very post in response to me saying it is what you do. 'I dislike Johnson! But Corbyn...'.

I've not seen anyone reading The Guardian as gospel. But if it's a left wing issue, the link posted will probably be The Guardian. That's theme, not lies.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Dohnut wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 pm
PoliticOs wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:52 pm

Or the guardian.

First, try and find a decent complimentary post I’ve made regarding Johnson. Other than a better choice than Corbyn, not hard, Don’t bother, don’t exist. My dislike of the guy goes back way before he was PM. Find posts where I’m complementary about Starmer. They are in there somewhere. Your a bit way off here.

I rarely comment about the Guardian, sometimes express amusement at how some read it as gospel whilst ridiculing the mail as lies.

Me. I see the papers as the left and right cheeks of the same ares. They just see the same crap from a different angle.

My opinion of the media, including the Biased Broadcasting Corporation, ranks very low. Tbh as does my opinion of many politicians, not all, left, right and centre
How in Gods name can you claim he was a better choice than Corbyn ?

You have no idea of how Corbyn would have reacted in this situation.

Yet the majority of people would know Johnson would do
Nothing more than stumble & bumble his way through his term !
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:20 pm Sid, you should write a blog or something, detailing your adventures.
What a good idea !!
No but in reality I have not the time or internet expertise to do such a thing as to write a blog and who would really want to hear of my long, ( and to many ) boring and long winded stories ! Anyway, i would never want to try to be a vain publicity fame seeker ( I think they call it nowadays an ''internet influencer'' ! ) My greatest reward and joy in life is to help others, not just my neighbors, family and friends, but also to those who need help and advice in many countries all over the world, part of which is working out better ways to budget themselves, how to organize themselves better, cut down on energy usage, there are so many many ways my experiences in life can be used to help and enhance others lives. I feel we all need to help one another in whatever way we can. I love going to less developed Countries and leading their simple lives. On one of my holidays to Mauritius with my lady friend ( she comes from there ) well one day, I went with a friend of her family to the garage he used and ended up there for around 4 hours teaching them how to better use their welding sets including properly setting up both the electric Arc welder and the Oxy Acetylene welding and cutting equipment. Great fun to be with those village folk and enjoyed myself more that day, working on the tools and helping out in that garage, than the times spent in the posh hotel and the expensive restaurants we sometimes ate at. Simple life spent with simple folk is a life that I am far more at home with. Anyway, enough of these old stories, let others write their thoughts on ''Smart Meters'' !
Last edited by Sid Bishop on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.