Essex CCC

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Essex CCC

Post by EliotNes »

What a disappointing end to the season. Losses to Hants & Northants. The way of the defeats leaves me thinking that the rumours that Westley wants to give up the captaincy are on the mark. But who will take it on. I don't see Harmy as a red-ball captain.

Sir Chef will stay another season IMO, his "retirement" has been media generated, but I could be shown to be wrong.

However, final comment of the season, I fear that Essex might implode and be way way down in all formats next season unless we find 2-3 leaders either in the dressing room or bring them in. I'm worried.

Esssssexxxx Essssssexxxxx

Footy until April next year now. Oh and Rugby and Golf and cricket ODI - have I missed anything, sports wise?
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Yep - gutted as well. Runners up in 2/3 competitions but lots pluses and doubts and fears.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Sir Alastair Cook has announced his retirement today. He will be sorely missed and sooooo hard to replace in the Essex team. I'm glad I saw him get another century this season.

""Today I am announcing my retirement and the end of my career as a professional cricketer.
It is not easy to say goodbye. For more than two decades, cricket has been so much more than my job. It has allowed me to experience places I never dreamed I would go, be part of teams that have achieved things I would never have thought possible and, most importantly, created deep friendships that will last a lifetime.
From the eight-year-old boy who first played for Wickham Bishops Under 11s to now, I end with a strange feeling of sadness mixed with pride. Although above all, I am incredibly happy.
It is the right time for this part of my life to come to an end. I have always given absolutely everything I possibly have to be the best player I could be, but now I want to make way for the new generation to take over.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Essex, the county I joined when I was aged 12. I want to say a massive thank you to everyone at Chelmsford for everything you have given to me. All of the fans, members and staff have always been so supportive, patient and generous.
When I ended my international career, I had no idea that I would have five more bonus years playing for Essex. I cannot put into words just how much fun we have had during that time. For that I want to thank head coach Anthony McGrath, Ryan ten Doeschate and Tom Westley, my two captains during that time, and all of the players. I won’t miss strapping on my pads and facing the new ball, but I will miss being in the Eagles’ changing room.
Playing a full part in the season when Essex won the County Championship in 2019 is one of my favourite achievements in the game. I look forward to watching Essex continue to punch above their weight, hopefully winning many more trophies in the coming years.
There are so many people I want to thank, too many to mention. However, none of this would have been possible without Graham Gooch. As a seven-year-old boy, Goochie was my hero. He became my coach, mentor and, above all, a great friend. I dread to think of the number of hours he has given up to help me become the best player I could be.

My parents, Graham and Elizabeth, have been so supportive, from my childhood all the way through my career. My brothers Adrian and Laurence made cricket in the back garden so competitive and that set me on my way.
To Alice’s family Chris, Mary, Lizzy and Henry for the huge amount of time, help and advice you have given to us during the past 10 years and more, not forgetting the opportunity to get involved with the farm. If anyone sees a sheep lorry on the roads around Bedfordshire you may want to stay well clear.
Finally, to Alice, for the love and unwavering support you have shown to me. You have been a wonderful mum to Elsie, Isobel and Jack while I travelled the world chasing my dreams. I will never forget the sacrifice you have made for me and our family. Twenty years of fun and adventure, with many more to come.
Although my England career came to an end in 2018, I remain blown away by the amount of affection I receive from England supporters. Wherever I have travelled, you have been there with your enthusiasm, kind words and unshakable belief. English cricket really does have the best fans in the world.
I will never underestimate the privilege I have had to play cricket. I will always be grateful for what the game has given to me. Now, I hope the Bedfordshire Farmers will find space for a has-been ‘all-rounder’ somewhere in their lower order.
Good luck to the England in the World Cup, I look to forward to supporting the team for many years to come.""
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

How do we replace Sir Chef, I really don't know. Thanks for everything you did for Essex and England.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

From Essex CCC website

https://www.essexcricket.org.uk/2023/10 ... 45584988a7

https://www.essexcricket.org.uk/2023/10 ... 45584988a7

The passing of an era. I doubt we will see his like again in an Essex shirt for a good while.
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Always hard to see an Essex player retire - most have been one county players and seem to have been there, season after season, and so many of them outstanding, even if they didn't play for England - Stuart Turner, Ray East, Graham Napier for example. But the Chef has been in a class of his own. Not only did it for Essex but also for England. Thank you Alastair, you've been an amazing player for county and country, and an extraordinary ambassador for both.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Dean Elgar - ex-Proteas Test captain, signs a 3-year deal. So he is Sir Chef's replacement.

He's played county cricket with Zummerset and Surrey, so he knows the game. I suppose at 36 years old, the remuneration he wants isn't too much, so we can afford him. I'll wish him good luck.

Esssexxxx, Esssexxxx
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Really hope he does well. Our batting has been so unpredictable for a number of seasons. How's Snater doing?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

EliotNes wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:46 pm Dean Elgar - ex-Proteas Test captain, signs a 3-year deal. So he is Sir Chef's replacement.

He's played county cricket with Zummerset and Surrey, so he knows the game. I suppose at 36 years old, the remuneration he wants isn't too much, so we can afford him. I'll wish him good luck.

Esssexxxx, Esssexxxx
Good signing replacing like for like, still need a proven middle order batter to go with Elgar and Cox.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Excellent signing. Way above what we normally do.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Essex players spread worldwide - being a cricketer is certainly a year round job now - as long as they don't come back with injuries that take all the English season to heal

https://www.essexcricket.org.uk/2024/01 ... up-part-2/
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

County Cricket Season starts tomorrow, woo woo, except that means lousy weather - Storm Kathleen on it's way for the weekend. :lol: :roll: :lol:

C'mon Essex, let's have a trophy this season.

Preview for the Notts match here: https://essexcricket.org.uk/2024/04/04/ ... 45584988a7
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Match zone going to be working overtime down here in Wales. A trophy is overdue. Come on Eagles!!!
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

62-2 at lunch. New pair Elgar & Cox at the crease.

The match has fared better than some, one of only 3 matches where play has started. Lancs vs Surrey abandoned for the day, that's good IMO.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Fifty for Dean Elgar, may it be the first of many (plus a few centuries) in the next 3 years.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

And a maiden Essex fifty for Jordan Cox. Again may that be the first of many in his Essex career.

Woo woo
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

100 partnership between Elgar and Cox - woo woo
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Elgar and Critchley now gone. Could be a collapse and still miles away from a batting point.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

cymruO wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:09 pm Elgar and Critchley now gone. Could be a collapse and still miles away from a batting point.
Wouldn't be Essex without a collapse!
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

banqo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:12 pm
cymruO wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:09 pm Elgar and Critchley now gone. Could be a collapse and still miles away from a batting point.
Wouldn't be Essex without a collapse!
Well we've got it, middle order rolled over by Patterson with a five'fer
i8ubutler
Regular
Regular

Post by i8ubutler »

195 - 6
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

237-9

Cox bowled for 84 but Harmer will be licking his lips, pitched leg hit middle. Snater out next ball for 12.

Wicket is very green.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Top of the JES wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:04 pm
Cox bowled for 84 but Harmer will be licking his lips, pitched leg hit middle.
I thought that too.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Well we scrambled to a batting bonus point.

And then Shane Snater, first ball he's bowled this season and he uproots two of Ben Duckett's stumps. :D
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

2 down now. Need to keep taking wickets. Hameed likes our bowling.