Israel

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Re: Israel

Post by CEB »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:40 am
Proposition Joe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:25 pm
CEB wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:29 pm tl:dr; the argument isn’t that *any* depiction is antisemitic. It’s that memes, cartoons and the culture of alt right shitposting type sh*t means that plenty of people are happy to throw a bit of chaos into the mix by imbuing cultural artefacts with meaning, and when that happens, people *do* adopt them to tacitly signal belief, and others *do* fall into the trap of then seeing “hate symbols” everywhere.
The A-OK white supremacist thing was literally curated into a “hate signal” by alt right sh*t posters purely for the hell of it, until it became one.
Discourse around this stuff is sort of broken
I've seen palpable frustration expressed by some Jewish commentators online about how this trope (specifically the one about the plush toy, rather than the octopus in general) was being created live in front of them. Even something which isn't necessarily antisemitic or racist can become it if enough people claim it to be, whether well intended or not and I have no doubt that these toys are gonna be bought by people and used in a horrible way, which they never would have done but for the - at least partly - manufactured furore post-Greta (and now UC). Don't know how you stop this kind of thing from happening.
By calling it out as the nonsense it is when it first surfaces.
I now agree with you on this.

It has nothing to do with the fact that my first actual book cover as an illustrator that I’m currently working on features a giant octogenarian on the cover
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

That should read “octopus” obvs, but there’s no way I’m editing that out
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Thank the Lord that octopuses don't have hands.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

You think tentacles are easy to draw? I’ve literally googled “how to draw tentacles”. What a pro.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

CEB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:40 am I’ve literally googled “how to draw tentacles”.
Yeah, this is for a 'book cover'.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Good to see with this anti-semitism revelation that CEBs immutable drift to the right has been halted. Welcome back to the Left x
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

The book will definitely come out
FrankOFile
Fresh Alias

Post by FrankOFile »

From the BBC:

A UN team says there is "convincing information" that hostages held in Gaza have been subjected to sexual violence including rape and sexualised torture.
There were grounds to suspect the abuse was still ongoing, the UN said.
The UN team also found "reasonable grounds to believe" sexual violence, including gang rape, took place when Hamas attacked Israel on 7 October.

Pramila Patten, the UN's Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict, said her team had "found clear and convincing information that sexual violence, including rape, sexualised torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment" had been committed against hostages.

Of course, the usual silence emanates from the anti-semitic bores on here such as Bonio who continue to indulge in whataboutery and barely disguised contempt for anything semitic.

Time to call Hamas for what they are - murderous animals.
Neptune's Spear
Fresh Alias

Post by Neptune's Spear »

FrankOFile wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:44 pm From the BBC:

A UN team says there is "convincing information" that hostages held in Gaza have been subjected to sexual violence including rape and sexualised torture.
The UN team also found "reasonable grounds to believe" sexual violence, including gang rape, took place when Hamas attacked Israel on 7 October.

Pramila Patten, the UN's Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict, said her team had "found clear and convincing information that sexual violence, including rape, sexualised torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment" had been committed against hostages.

Of course, the usual silence emanates from the anti-semitic bores on here such as Bonio who continue to indulge in whataboutery and barely disguised contempt for anything semitic.

Steady on FrankoFile, you'll get yourself banned
Ski Sunday
Fresh Alias

Post by Ski Sunday »

I rarely look at this message board, however I'm horrified by the dreadful amount of anti semitism here.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Silence emanating from you on this as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... ort-claims

Must mean you are anti-Palestine, anti-Brown people, anti-whatever-to-try-to-prove-a-redundant-point
Last edited by Rich Tea Wellin on Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Ski Sunday wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:16 pm I rarely look at this message board, however I'm horrified by the dreadful amount of anti semitism here.
Bold claim. What posts, specifically?
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Ski Sunday wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:16 pm I rarely look at this message board, however I'm horrified by the dreadful amount of anti semitism here.
Are you maybe getting anti Semitism mixed up with anti Zionism?
Criticism of Israel is not anti Semitism.
Try not to get a religion and a political movement , mixed up
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Neptune's Spear wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:13 pm

Steady on FrankoFile, you'll get yourself banned
We should be so lucky.
faldO
Fresh Alias

Post by faldO »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:52 pm Silence emanating from you on this as well.

Must mean you are anti-Palestine, anti-Brown people, anti-whatever-to-try-to-prove-a-redundant-point
So says the article...

The report was compiled by the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine (UNRWA) and is largely based on interviews of Palestinian detainees released at the Kerem Shalom crossing point since December, when UNRWA staff were present to provide humanitarian support.

The allegations, which are being studied by two separate UN inquiries, have so far not been substantiated.

UNRWA aren't exactly paragons of virtue when it comes to their involvement in Gaza amongst the Palestinian people. I'd be silent too until the claims were independently verified.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

faldO wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:45 am
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:52 pm Silence emanating from you on this as well.

So says the article...

The report was compiled by the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine (UNRWA) and is largely based on interviews of Palestinian detainees released at the Kerem Shalom crossing point since December, when UNRWA staff were present to provide humanitarian support.

The allegations, which are being studied by two separate UN inquiries, have so far not been substantiated.

UNRWA aren't exactly paragons of virtue when it comes to their involvement in Gaza amongst the Palestinian people. I'd be silent too until the claims were independently verified.
I see the original post hasn’t been substantiated either but that hasn’t stopped allegations of anti semitism on here.

I’m still waiting to read about the evidence for the allegations Israel has made about UNRWA. even though evidence doesn’t seem to matter to the many countries eager to stop aide to them.

It’s like Israel might want to undermine their credibility, for whatever reason…
Ski Sunday
Fresh Alias

Post by Ski Sunday »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:36 pm
You people definitely dont like Jews, its so damn obvious
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Ski Sunday wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:58 am
Not to evidence then?
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

So let me get this straight, Israel kills 30,000 unarmed civilians, around 12,000 of them children, then they starve the ones they didn't manage to murder, and anyone then says they don't like what Israel has done, that means they don't like Jews.... Is that correct?
Nothing to do with the genocide they've committed, is just they don't like Jews?
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:05 pm

So let me get this straight, Israel kills 30,000 unarmed civilians, around 12,000 of them children, then they starve the ones they didn't manage to murder, and anyone then says they don't like what Israel has done, that means they don't like Jews.... Is that correct?
Nothing to do with the genocide they've committed, is just they don't like Jews?

Have you considered that the person who joins this forum and manages two posts before confidently wading into the Isreal thread *might well be* aiming to provoke exactly the response you’ve just given?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Ah, I suspect I know who you are - sure we've seen similar unfounded accusations before from you. Sure it won't be long before you return to the dark side to report how anti-semitic this place is.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

No. The anti-Jewish language is what makes it anti-semitic, although Jews are the only minority that have their definition of racism constantly questioned.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:11 pm
No. The anti-Jewish language is what makes it anti-semitic, although Jews are the only minority that have their definition of racism constantly questioned.
The thing that fucks me off the most is the fact that anti-semitism is rife but its constantly diluted by people chucking it all in the same bucket as anti-zionism. Of course, some anti-zionists are also anti-semitic but by shouting down any criticism of israel as anti-semitic you muddle what is actual anti-semitism and when it should be called out. Every time someone says that something anti-zionist is anti-semitic they empower actual anti-semites and make it more likely that i'll be abused for being a jew.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

the veil slips
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7