Troy Deeney

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Bergen
Regular
Regular

Troy Deeney

Post by Bergen »

Watford captain will not return to training.

I've said I'm not going in. It only takes one person to get infected within the group and I don't want to be bringing that home. My son is only five months old, he had breathing difficulties, so I don't want to come home to put him in more danger."

It must be a difficult choice for him.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Re: Troy Deeney

Post by Disoriented »

Interesting. He won’t be the last. Jobi could be one too.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Bergen wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm Watford captain will not return to training.

I've said I'm not going in. It only takes one person to get infected within the group and I don't want to be bringing that home. My son is only five months old, he had breathing difficulties, so I don't want to come home to put him in more danger."

There is no choice.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Well done Troy Deeney.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Don't blame anyone who says they don't want to return , far more important things to worry about than football at the moment.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

It's an interesting issue.

I'm on the side of Deeney with this one as his boys health is far more important than anything else but the question is:-

Whilst there are people who want to work but are unable to due to being furloughed should those who are able to but refuse on health grounds have their salary reduced?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

No.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Ornchurch wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:43 pm It's an interesting issue.

I'm on the side of Deeney with this one as his boys health is far more important than anything else but the question is:-

Whilst there are people who want to work but are unable to due to being furloughed should those who are able to but refuse on health grounds have their salary reduced?
So if he is a true pro and still wishes to still pick up his salary of many thousands of pounds per week, then why not isolate himself from his son for these few weeks of training and playing ? Sure he could afford to pay for separate accommodation for a few weeks ?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Sid Bishop wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:23 pm

So if he is a true pro and still wishes to still pick up his salary of many thousands of pounds per week, then why not isolate himself from his son for these few weeks of training and playing ? Sure he could afford to pay for separate accommodation for a few weeks ?
Maybe he's not a fan of profit before people.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

There is no choice to be made here. If Deeney's son has a health issue then he will naturally put his family first, any sane person
would do that. Except for the orange abomination in the White House.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:30 pm

Maybe he's not a fan of profit before people.
Hence my question.

Is it a reasonable request for him to isolate from his son (probably at the clubs expense rather than his own) for x number of weeks ?
If so and he refuses should he still get full pay?

There are a lot of less fortunate people continuing to do normal jobs and are having to put family at risk in the process who do not have the luxury of being able to self isolate. And we keep getting told that footballers are normal people as well.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Maybe he'd like to be able to go home at night and spend precious time with his relatively new-born child.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Admin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:39 pm Maybe he'd like to be able to go home at night and spend precious time with his relatively new-born child.
I get that.

Im sure though that when/if football moves on to the game playing stage, and players will need to isolate in hotels, that there will be loads of players wanting to spend precious time with their families.

Should he be getting the same 100% of salary as them without making any sacrifice?
TheTyrant
Fresh Alias

Post by TheTyrant »

I once got my boiler serviced by Troy Deeney's dad. Look at me.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

I spent an entire flight sitting next to Troy . 30 plus of the watford squad were on the plane and I must say they were extremely well behaved. A real nice guy.
He even out talked me, which is some feat, and told me his father had a reputation for being a bit tasty and would often take on several guys .
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

While if i was in his shoes i would probably do the same thing. I'mJust wandering when he thinks he'll be safe enough to go back to work cos I can't see Watford suffering him not playing till there's a vaccine and that's not going to be before the back end of the year with best estimates.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Disoriented wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:03 pm Interesting. He won’t be the last. Jobi could be one too.
Has Jobi even got a playing contract for next year?
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

As ever Sid your spot on
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

All employers have a duty of care to keep their employees safe from harm and injury. As Watford cannot fulfil this in relation to the virus Deeney is perfectly entitled to refuse to return to work. He is also well within his legal and moral rights to insist on being paid his full salary. The amount he gets paid has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Ornchurch wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:50 pm
Admin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:39 pm Maybe he'd like to be able to go home at night and spend precious time with his relatively new-born child.
I get that.

Im sure though that when/if football moves on to the game playing stage, and players will need to isolate in hotels, that there will be loads of players wanting to spend precious time with their families.

Should he be getting the same 100% of salary as them without making any sacrifice?
I think just about everyone gets that spending some time away from your family is part and parcel of being a footballer.

But there’s a clear difference between that and not being able to spend time with your family when you should be able to, because you’re potentially putting a vulnerable newborn child at risk
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

TheTyrant wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:51 pm I once got my boiler serviced by Troy Deeney's dad. Look at me.
On a related note Wayne Rooney also services old boilers.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

EH16 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:19 pm All employers have a duty of care to keep their employees safe from harm and injury. As Watford cannot fulfil this in relation to the virus Deeney is perfectly entitled to refuse to return to work. He is also well within his legal and moral rights to insist on being paid his full salary. The amount he gets paid has absolutely nothing to do with it.
So are Watford failing in their duty of care towards their other players as well?

I would say that with the number of tests being provided and the other measures being proposed, which has led to a number of commentators saying that a football training ground is as safe as any other environment at this time, that football clubs are providing a duty of care far in excess of other employers.
HeyO
Fresh Alias

Post by HeyO »

Bergen wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm Watford captain will not return to training.

Simple choice really.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Two staff tested positive at Watford. Great decision by Troy Deeney.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Give it time - that'll change.