Time Wasting or Game Management

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

NOM
Fresh Alias

Time Wasting or Game Management

Post by NOM »

Losing opposing team are accused of time wasting

If we are winning it’s called game management πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Football fans are a strange breedπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
HavantO
Fresh Alias

Re: Time Wasting or Game Management

Post by HavantO »

I’ve never had a problem with it to be honest. Like you say, everyone does it. It’s part and parcel of the game. Does make me chuckle when people go absolutely ape shot over a keeper taking an extra 20 seconds.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Should do a bit of keepy uppy as well...That'll learn 'em.
Mike pinner
Fresh Alias

Post by Mike pinner »

Hopefully it's only a matter of time (no joke intended) before there is an external clock as in rugby, so that when the ball is out of play the clock stops. This would mean there would be no advantage in taking so much time over a goal kick for instance. At the end of 90 minutes (or perhaps 80 as the ball will be in play more) a hooter goes and the match finishes when the ball goes out of play. This would end the seemingly arbitrary amount of time added on which is never enough for the losing team and always too much for the winning one.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Mike pinner wrote: ↑Thu May 02, 2019 11:00 pm Hopefully it's only a matter of time (no joke intended) before there is an external clock as in rugby, so that when the ball is out of play the clock stops. This would mean there would be no advantage in taking so much time over a goal kick for instance. At the end of 90 minutes (or perhaps 80 as the ball will be in play more) a hooter goes and the match finishes when the ball goes out of play. This would end the seemingly arbitrary amount of time added on which is never enough for the losing team and always too much for the winning one.
Agree completely.
Fatbaz
Fresh Alias

Post by Fatbaz »

Mike pinner wrote: ↑Thu May 02, 2019 11:00 pm Hopefully it's only a matter of time (no joke intended) before there is an external clock as in rugby, so that when the ball is out of play the clock stops. This would mean there would be no advantage in taking so much time over a goal kick for instance. At the end of 90 minutes (or perhaps 80 as the ball will be in play more) a hooter goes and the match finishes when the ball goes out of play. This would end the seemingly arbitrary amount of time added on which is never enough for the losing team and always too much for the winning one.
Definitely.
An external time-keeper would be ideal. Apart from anything else, it would relieve the referee of the unnecessary chore of stopping and starting his watch(es). All of the match officials could get on with the job of officiating rather than having to keep an eye on 'injury time'.
I'd like to see such a thing introduced. Great :idea:
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Agree with the last 3 posts, absolutely
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

Fatbaz wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2019 6:33 am
Definitely.
An external time-keeper would be ideal. Apart from anything else, it would relieve the referee of the unnecessary chore of stopping and starting his watch(es). All of the match officials could get on with the job of officiating rather than having to keep an eye on 'injury time'.
Why not give that responsibility to the 4fh official. Whilst an external clock would be better, Ive seen at Ice Hockey games where play is stopped but the clock continues unnoticed.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

There just needs to be a point blank straight yellow for any time wasting, subs, goal kicks etc, kicking the ball away, it would stop tons of it.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Fatbaz wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2019 6:33 am
Definitely.
We had a system like that in place some time ago, it was called ''Fergie time'' !!
Problem is it always seemed to favour just the one side !!

Fergie Time was my little trick at Manchester United, admits Sir Alex
https://www.goal.com/en/news/9/english- ... ted-admits
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Trouble is a few times this season we have gifted the opposition the ball whilst trying to keep possession/game managment , luckily it did not stop us winning the league πŸ‘πŸ‘
Fatbaz
Fresh Alias

Post by Fatbaz »

Some interesting ideas there.

I think that there should be a distinction between time when the ball is 'dead' and time whilst it's in play.

When the ball is 'dead' eg: out of play, between the time a free-kick is given and then taken, etc, a timekeeper should simply be able to stop the clock until actual play resumes.

As for time-wasting when the ball is in-play, I don't think that very much could be done about that. I don't think we could - or should - seek to introduce rules that compel players to play in any particular way.

The only current rule that exists - and is seldom imposed - is the time that a goal-keeper is allowed to retain the ball. Too often keepers will hold the ball well beyond the permissible six seconds. More should be done to ensure that this rule is enforced.
Ralphs Coate
Fresh Alias

Post by Ralphs Coate »

Disoriented wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2019 2:27 am
Agree completely.
Me too
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

That's why i never moan about it isn't the phrase one man's nectar is another's poison.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

If a stopclock was introduced, games would have to be reduced to about 60 minutes. The ball is actually in play far less than you would believe.
Fatbaz
Fresh Alias

Post by Fatbaz »

Red_Army wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2019 12:00 pm If a stopclock was introduced, games would have to be reduced to about 60 minutes. The ball is actually in play far less than you would believe.
That's true.
roffeys money
Fresh Alias

Post by roffeys money »

Fatbaz wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2019 12:32 pm
Red_Army wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2019 12:00 pm If a stopclock was introduced, games would have to be reduced to about 60 minutes. The ball is actually in play far less than you would believe.
That's true.
Agreed. I remember this idea being floated a couple of years back
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -shake-up/
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... 60-minutes
with 60 minutes as the suggested game length.
LeighO
Fresh Alias

Post by LeighO »

I would also not stop the game for substitutes or injuries; play on and perform rolling subs and let the physio come on. (like rugby). I believe this would vastly reduce time wasting.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Not sure about letting everything just flow, it would be a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Rugby is different in that they more or less move in straight lines, football is all over the place plus football is a lot quicker as well, I could see physios being taken clean out.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

LeighO wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2019 8:40 pm I would also not stop the game for substitutes or injuries; play on and perform rolling subs and let the physio come on. (like rugby). I believe this would vastly reduce time wasting.
Spot on fella.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2019 9:52 pm Not sure about letting everything just flow, it would be a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Rugby is different in that they more or less move in straight lines, football is all over the place plus football is a lot quicker as well, I could see physios being taken clean out.
Agreed rugby is so boring and a roadmap for oppression.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Too complex for wallapers obviously.