Births Deaths And Marriages

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Births Deaths And Marriages

Post by Lovejoy »

Ian Cognito dead - stand-up comedian dies after 'heart attack on stage'
Last edited by Lovejoy on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fatbaz
Fresh Alias

Re: Births Deaths And Marriages Part 2

Post by Fatbaz »

Tommy Smith, Liverpool legend has died.
Great player, hard as nails.
The Kop will give him a mighty send-off, for sure.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Very sad news about Tommy Smith.

It is unbelievable that he only won one cap for England. Great player.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Can see Chelsea getting a hiding on Sunday; there will be a tide of emotion.
Bob R Smillie
Fresh Alias

Post by Bob R Smillie »

“Never take any s--- from anyone,” Shankly told the 17-year-old future captain shortly before handing him his debut.

Smith’s intimidating reputation, which earned him the nickname The Anfield Iron, was built on such fearlessness, Shankly later observing his protégé could ‘start a fight in an empty room’.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Billy McNeill dead: Celtic legend and Lisbon Lion passes away aged 79.
Fatbaz
Fresh Alias

Post by Fatbaz »

Yep, saw that McNeill died. Great player.
I remember watching the flickering b/w images of Celtic's European Cup Final win against Inter on telly. The trophy seemed about half the size of McNeill when he lifted it - and he was a big bloke.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Births Deaths And Marriages

Post by Max B Gold »

One of the old style pros. Honest, hard but fair and a gentleman off the pitch too.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg has expired aged 98.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Stevie Chalmers, Celtic’s ‘Lisbon Lions’ hero, dies aged 83.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

This is very sad news.

Rowland "Boon" Gould, a founding member of the band Level 42, has died aged 64.
HARVEY T DENTON
Fresh Alias

Post by HARVEY T DENTON »

The sun has gone down.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Original 'Star Wars' Chewbacca Peter Mayhew Dies at 74.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

Lovejoy wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:39 am Original 'Star Wars' Chewbacca Peter Mayhew Dies at 74.
1 day too soon.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Duchess of Sussex: Meghan goes into labour with her first child.

Watch this space.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Lovejoy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:27 pm Duchess of Sussex: Meghan goes into labour with her first child.

Watch this space.
Who really gives a f*ck about this tbh
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

BoniO wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:40 pm
Lovejoy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:27 pm Duchess of Sussex: Meghan goes into labour with her first child.

Watch this space.
Who really gives a f*ck about this tbh
Too many, unfortunately.
DaggerHam
Fresh Alias

Post by DaggerHam »

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are blessed with the birth of a son.
Hip-Hip-Hooray!
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Well good for them and this new baby will make them and many other people happy. For me though, I think the days of needing Kings and Queens are long gone. Hundreds of years ago they were the leaders of this Country and members of the Royalty would often lead their troops out the battle. IMO, time has moved on and nowadays it would seem that they are mainly just there for tourists and ceremonial reasons, that coupled with all the pomp and tradition involved. It would not worry me one minute if the present Queen was the last Monarch of Uk and the Commonwealth. Perhaps a more streamlined and up to date monarchy would suit me far better where they lived more modest and normal lives in less lavish accommodation etc.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:00 pm Well good for them and this new baby will make them and many other people happy. For me though, I think the days of needing Kings and Queens are long gone. Hundreds of years ago they were the leaders of this Country and members of the Royalty would often lead their troops out the battle. IMO, time has moved on and nowadays it would seem that they are mainly just there for tourists and ceremonial reasons, that coupled with all the pomp and tradition involved. It would not worry me one minute if the present Queen was the last Monarch of Uk and the Commonwealth. Perhaps a more streamlined and up to date monarchy would suit me far better where they lived more modest and normal lives in less lavish accommodation etc.
In the past Sid I was of the same opinion as your self, however now I understand the need to keep traditions Royalty or otherwise together it is the fabric of our country and history, why are people so concerned about trying to Destabilise the fabric of our society
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Watch this space.
You mean the surrogate has had the baby?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

point nine one eight wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:11 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:00 pm Well good for them and this new baby will make them and many other people happy. For me though, I think the days of needing Kings and Queens are long gone. Hundreds of years ago they were the leaders of this Country and members of the Royalty would often lead their troops out the battle. IMO, time has moved on and nowadays it would seem that they are mainly just there for tourists and ceremonial reasons, that coupled with all the pomp and tradition involved. It would not worry me one minute if the present Queen was the last Monarch of Uk and the Commonwealth. Perhaps a more streamlined and up to date monarchy would suit me far better where they lived more modest and normal lives in less lavish accommodation etc.
In the past Sid I was of the same opinion as your self, however now I understand the need to keep traditions Royalty or otherwise together it is the fabric of our country and history, why are people so concerned about trying to Destabilise the fabric of our society
I suppose I think of all the massive amount of taxpayers money plus inherited land, houses and wealth bestowed on a family whose main purpose of existence from many years ago has now gone. Kings and Queens of many years past were there for the purpose of being the leaders of the country that they were Monarchs of, in battle they were the leaders of their armies and also fought in the battles. In England's case, the Kings got so greedy and bad at their job that in 1215,the first steps were taken in The Magna Carta to impose legal limits on the king's personal powers. As centuries passed by, the power of Monarchs in England and later the UK, were gradually eroded so that by the mid 18th century the monarchs had been virtually stripped of any meaningful powers, just leaving them as glorified antiques of times long gone. Nowadays they serve little to no meaningful purpose apart from performing ceremonial duties.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:56 pm
I suppose I think of all the massive amount of taxpayers money plus inherited land, houses and wealth bestowed on a family whose main purpose of existence from many years ago has now gone. Kings and Queens of many years past were there for the purpose of being the leaders of the country that they were Monarchs of, in battle they were the leaders of their armies and also fought in the battles. In England's case, the Kings got so greedy and bad at their job that in 1215,the first steps were taken in The Magna Carta to impose legal limits on the king's personal powers. As centuries passed by, the power of Monarchs in England and later the UK, were gradually eroded so that by the mid 18th century the monarchs had been virtually stripped of any meaningful powers, just leaving them as glorified antiques of times long gone. Nowadays they serve little to no meaningful purpose apart from performing ceremonial duties.
Would still prefer the Monarchy as a head of State than the EU powered by Germany towing France along with Belgium holding the Rule book
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

why are people so concerned about trying to Destabilise the fabric of our society - Because it's a step towards breaking down the entrenched power and privilege of the 'ruling' classes, most of whom obtain this by nothing other than an accident of birth and not because of any merit they have as individuals.
roffeys money
Fresh Alias

Post by roffeys money »