Martin Ling Track Record

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

chris_orient
Fresh Alias

Martin Ling Track Record

Post by chris_orient »

Thought it'd be interesting to do an audit on our signings since he returned to the club as DOF. Someone made an interesting post recently listing our squad at the start of last season and it was actually terrifying to see what was left!

All of this is up for debate but personally I feel Lingy has done a brilliant job, especially considering the mess he inherited. I've broken the signings down into those that I feel have been/were successes (i.e. have made a positive impact, though some will have done so more convincingly than others of course), the middle-ground, and those that have failed.

Successful signings (no particular order)

Joe Widdowson - looked a weak link early on but has been Mr.Consistent since JE came in. Excellent this year.

Josh Coulson - no explanation needed

Jobi McAnuff - as above

Macauley Bonne - as above

Craig Clay - as above

George Elokobi - debatable one? There were always a few heart in mouth moments with him and a bizarre exit from the club but I reckon he was just about a success (more so last season obviously) and an important senior head to have on the pitch when the squad consisted only of youngsters on his arrival.

James Dayton - been unlucky with injuries but when fit he's a really good, classy player.

Sam Ling - think I might get a few rebuttals for this one as he has his detractors but I think he was a good acquisition. Played quite a few games not fully fit and he's still young so should improve.

James Brophy - okay he was terrible yesterday but he's looked one of our most dangerous players recently. Has also taken one for the team filling in at RWB where needed.

Ebou Adams - not the most popular around here but can't dispute he did a very good job when here on loan.

Matt Harrold - love this guy and may have earned himself a new contract...really important contribution off the bench getting us over the line.

Marvin Ekpiteta - no explanation needed.

Dean Brill - okay, he might not have been signed with the intention of playing so this was a JE masterstroke but I'll still give Ling credit for getting him in the building!

Jordan Maguire-Drew - talented player who I think still has more to give

Jamie Turley - really important addition and has filled in excellently at RB/RWB despite not being his natural position

Undecided / Neither Here Nor There

Charlie Lee - maybe a tad harsh on Charlie as I do like him but he's struggled for fitness and never really held down his position. By no stretch a bad signing but don't think he's been the success we'd hoped for either.

Alex Lawless - similar to the above. Not quite worked out for him but he's been a worthwhile member of the squad.

Jake Caprice - I don't think he was as shocking as a lot of people made out but we were vulnerable down that left hand side. He's done well since leaving us so I think there is a player there and I actually reckon he'd have been better for us in our new wing back system.

Jay Simpson - wasn't sure how to categorise him to be honest as we haven't seen much of him. Showed flashes of class but not quite there in terms of end product. Was only signed until end of the season though so pretty low risk and therefore not bad business.

Unsuccessful / Didn't work out

Jamie Sendles-White - the less said the better

David Mooney - love the guy but just didn't happen for him in his 2nd spell here.

Romauld Boco - we've had far worse but just didn't fit into our system and was soon in exile.

Dan Holman - thought he'd be a good signing as he had a decent track record of scoring at that level but it just didn't happen for him.

Christian Scales - obviously wasn't good enough. Don't mind this sort of signing though...would have been very low cost so it's basically a shot to nothing and if it works you're laughing. For every few of these you might find 1 Marvin!

Nathan Mavila - as above, obviously didn't work but low risk

Dale Gorman - would like to see him turn things around but it's just not happened so far.

Levi Lumeka - odd one. He must not have shown enough in training to be picked by JE which I'm fine with but we do have to be careful or we risk disincentivising teams from loaning us promising youngsters

James Alabi - I do like his spirit and he seems like a top guy but he hasn't cut it.

Overall, I don't think we could have hoped for much better but am interested in hearing others' opinions on the above. Also, are there any I missed (I deliberately left off short term loans like Bondz N'Gala and Mark Ellis but left in the longer ones)? Feel free to rip into any of my assessments if you passionately disagree!!
NOM
Fresh Alias

Re: Martin Ling Track Record

Post by NOM »

Can you send this by recorded delivery to that doofus disjointed
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

If you're gonna do this, at least be honest. Elokobi and Ling in the successful signings loses you all credibility.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

I covered this off on the old board.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Martin Ling. A team from near zero to NL Champions in two years. That record speaks for itself. Mistakes, of course no one is perfect. The NL table don't lie. T & T speak highly of him and they have been proven correct.

Now is not the time to drag out the mistakes he made.

Now is the time to say thank you Martin for doing a difficult job brilliantly.

Thank you Martin.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Martin Ling has stated that the problem with being in the National League is that most players are not willing to drop down into it. This made his job of signing players all the more difficult. Less than two years ago we had just seven youth team players, yesterday we were promoted as champions. Something was right.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Personally, I think it's the wrong metric to look at. Anyway, the descriptions are quite funny, almost as if Lingy wrote them himself!

The biggest factor in getting us promotion was Edinburgh. We could have had exactly the same players under Steve Davis and I think we'd be mid-table, it was quite fine margins through many games and he did not produce any team spirit as well as being crap defensively.

The second factor was migrating to a system which allowed a manager like Edinburgh some freedoms to work. Had we maintained it, we probably would have ended up with a head coach like Sheringham which would have been equally as disastrous as Davis.

Travis has been quite vocal in his praise for Ling, but I think this is not entirely on merit and partially on guilt. Lingy was thrown in there with a pot of money, no help and not much time. He did the best he could, but it is pretty much fact that his initial way of playing and some of his recruits was quite unsuitable for the National League. Throughout last season Travis must have known that while he was being treated like royalty at games, it was people like Lingy and the players who were on the end of the fans anger.

So I think it is quite true that Martin Ling deserves a lot of praise but much of this must come from that he has adapted to the new way of working, had there been resistance it could have got messy like the forever ongoing squabbles at Peterborough. Perhaps Ling himself was the catalyst behind insisting on getting a coach with a track record in the division, rather than just one with a track record of working with DoF.

Whoever decided it, the current setup is good and can get us another promotion at least.
NOM
Fresh Alias

Post by NOM »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:20 pm If you're gonna do this, at least be honest. Elokobi and Ling in the successful signings loses you all credibility.
They both contributed with goals and assists sorry they are not Messi/Ronaldo every game what where you saying about credibility give it a rest son your losing
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

eagwgw wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:14 pm Personally, I think it's the wrong metric to look at. Anyway, the descriptions are quite funny, almost as if Lingy wrote them himself!

The biggest factor in getting us promotion was Edinburgh. We could have had exactly the same players under Steve Davis and I think we'd be mid-table, it was quite fine margins through many games and he did not produce any team spirit as well as being crap defensively.

The second factor was migrating to a system which allowed a manager like Edinburgh some freedoms to work. Had we maintained it, we probably would have ended up with a head coach like Sheringham which would have been equally as disastrous as Davis.

Travis has been quite vocal in his praise for Ling, but I think this is not entirely on merit and partially on guilt. Lingy was thrown in there with a pot of money, no help and not much time. He did the best he could, but it is pretty much fact that his initial way of playing and some of his recruits was quite unsuitable for the National League. Throughout last season Travis must have known that while he was being treated like royalty at games, it was people like Lingy and the players who were on the end of the fans anger.

So I think it is quite true that Martin Ling deserves a lot of praise but much of this must come from that he has adapted to the new way of working, had there been resistance it could have got messy like the forever ongoing squabbles at Peterborough. Perhaps Ling himself was the catalyst behind insisting on getting a coach with a track record in the division, rather than just one with a track record of working with DoF.

Whoever decided it, the current setup is good and can get us another promotion at least.
What seems to have gone unnoticed is JE and ML go back years to when they were both at Southend as youth team players.
chris_orient
Fresh Alias

Post by chris_orient »

eagwgw wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:14 pm Personally, I think it's the wrong metric to look at. Anyway, the descriptions are quite funny, almost as if Lingy wrote them himself!

Some interesting and valid points there. I certainly agree with you that JE is the biggest reason we went up and my post wasn't intended to be some kind of metric to rationalise why we went up (though there is of course a correlation there) but more of a counter to what I've perceived as unfair criticism of our transfer policy these past 2 years.

I do see where you're coming from in saying that some of his initial recruits weren't suited to NL football, though on the other hand many of those acquisitions have formed the core that got us promoted this season. Given the state of affairs when he came in, he was never going to get everything right and it's true that he did get it badly wrong with the appointment of Davis. Criticism of him for that is fair but in the big picture he's got a lot more right than he has wrong in my view. As you say, the current set up is very good and I think we're in a great position to press on and hopefully challenge in League 2.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

dOh Nut wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:57 pm Martin Ling. A team from near zero to NL Champions in two years. That record speaks for itself. Mistakes, of course no one is perfect. The NL table don't lie. T & T speak highly of him and they have been proven correct.

Thank you Martin.
You spent the last twelve months slagging him off, so it is rather amusing for you to pretend that never happened. :lol:
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Lingy has done alright and alright is damn good praise from me.
NOM
Fresh Alias

Post by NOM »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:01 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:57 pm Martin Ling. A team from near zero to NL Champions in two years. That record speaks for itself. Mistakes, of course no one is perfect. The NL table don't lie. T & T speak highly of him and they have been proven correct.

Thank you Martin.
You spent the last twelve months slagging him off, so it is rather amusing for you to pretend that never happened. :lol:
Says disjointed unbelievable Jeff
The Orient Hour
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Orient Hour »

The only man in British football to have won promotion as a player, manager,and now director of football. Today is not the day to attempt to find fault.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Andy Gilson wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:26 pm The only man in British football to have won promotion as a player, manager,and now director of football. Today is not the day to attempt to find fault.
Agreed. Today is a day of celebration and reflection on a season to remember.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Says the man who has slagged off ML all season long. You need to reflect on some of the sh*t you've given him. I hope and pray you never fall foul of mental health issues.

Some of the comments written by others were very well written and complementary to a man who over his tenure has done wonders for this club and I hope and pray he continues to want to be here and help to move us further forwards.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Andy Gilson wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:26 pm The only man in British football to have won promotion as a player, manager,and now director of football. Today is not the day to attempt to find fault.
Great stat.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Thor wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm Says the man who has slagged off ML all season long. You need to reflect on some of the sh*t you've given him. I hope and pray you never fall foul of mental health issues.

Some of the comments written by others were very well written and complementary to a man who over his tenure has done wonders for this club and I hope and pray he continues to want to be here and help to move us further forwards.
What the hell have mental health issues got to do with anything?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:22 pm I covered this off on the old board.
Yes you did, but it was crap as I recall
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

NOM wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:41 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:20 pm If you're gonna do this, at least be honest. Elokobi and Ling in the successful signings loses you all credibility.
They both contributed with goals and assists sorry they are not Messi/Ronaldo every game what where you saying about credibility give it a rest son your losing
*you're
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

BoniO wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:23 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:22 pm I covered this off on the old board.
Yes you did, but it was crap as I recall
😂 fair
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:56 pm
Thor wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm Says the man who has slagged off ML all season long. You need to reflect on some of the sh*t you've given him. I hope and pray you never fall foul of mental health issues.

You shouldn't need to ask this as Martin has made no secret of his past mental health problems. I have nothing but total respect for the man who has been so open about this terrible problem that affects so many people. We owe him a our thanks and support.

Who would have thought 24 months ago that we would be champions less than two years after the very strong possibility Leyton Orient was going out of business and ceasing to exist?
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Thank you Martin.
Have I? Don't think so chummy. Like others I have questioned some of his signings, which I think is fair. Also praised some his good ones too. Balanced. I have also defended the DoF role in general. Nice try, but must do better. 3/10
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Winchesterfan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:41 pm

You shouldn't need to ask this as Martin has made no secret of his past mental health problems. I have nothing but total respect for the man who has been so open about this terrible problem that affects so many people. We owe him a our thanks and support.

Who would have thought 24 months ago that we would be champions less than two years after the very strong possibility Leyton Orient was going out of business and ceasing to exist?
But what the f*** has that got to do with anyone’s opinion on his performance?

Suggesting no one can criticise him is more offensive than any criticism he has had.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Winchesterfan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Bizarre post.