Seasons Ratings

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Seasons Ratings

Post by jamespevans »

Couldn't be bothered contributing to the Braintree rating because as we all know we are champions because what we have done over the whole season. Seven defeats, the 3rd highest number of goals and the best defence (fact). My ratings for the season (current squad only(:

Brill - 7.5 - a guy who came to us as a coach and prior to Edinburgh coming in hadn't played a competitive match for 2.5 years (little known fact, his first game for the O's was also Edinburgh's first game). Very few mistakes, command his box in the air (most of the time) and pulled off some world class saves this season. I can live with him still being a bit chunky!

Sam Ling - 6 - Has had a stop-start season but, for me, not as strong as Judd in the RB position. Looked more comfortable with the new formation but still a poor crosser of the ball

Joe Widdowson - 7 - I'm a big fan and like Clay his consistency has shone through this season. Needs a new contract. Just hate it when I see a player bombing through on the left or lurking at the back post and realise it is him. He will never ever score another goal in professional football

Myles Judd - 7 - Also a big fan. Yes he's rash but he is 19 and, given the chance by Edinburgh, will turn into our No1 RB/WB. I can see him thriving in the current formation

Josh Coulson - 8 - Would love to see him finish his career with us. Orient through and through, a rock at the back and his goals this season have been so important. The four games he missed after the Salford defeat we picked up four points - nuff said

Dan Happe - 7 - improving all the time and his season didn't start until he came off the bench at Salford for Coulson. Lacks pace and needs to be more aware of what is going on around him but he is only 20 and has earned his place.

Marvin Ekpiteta - 7.5 - Ridiculous improvement in such a short time. He was actually an unused sub for our first game of the season (Elokobi was picked ahead of him). Missed the same four games as Coulson after Salford and how we missed them both. I also don't think McCallum would have had is as easy as he did if Ekpiteta wasn't suspended. Bolster our midfield and we have a hell of a central team behind them next season.

Jamie Turley - 6 - Has done the job(s) we've asked him to do and we all know he is a bog standard old fashioned centre back who leaves his mark. Hard to see him being kept on

Alex Lawless - 6 - Was given a handful of starts after Edinburgh arrived but has never really featured since (only 7 league starts this season). In an average midfield wasn't able to command a place. Another who won't be here next season

Jobie McAnuff - 7.5 - A real captain (the look on his face as he was forced off today) and would love him to give us another season. His experience and intelligence really will be missed when he hangs up his boots.

Craig Clay - 7.5 - For chunks of this season he has been our only central midfielder, driving forward, last ditch tackles. Has become our most consistent player. He ain't half racking up the yellow cards though.

Jordan Maguire-Drew - 7 - looking forward to seeing this guy in action next season. Already looks like our best crosser of the ball and is naturally two-footed.

James Dayton - 6.5 - Can't make up my mind about him and another player whose season was ruined by injury. Only two assists this season where you would expect more. Always worked hard and will always look less spectacular than JMD and Koroma. Sentiment says offer him a year contract as a squad player.

James Brophy - 7 - Can be our most frustrating/exciting player (dead-heat with Koromoa). Had a difficult start to the season which didn't really happen until December. I think Edinburgh trusts him to put in a shift these days.

Dale Gorman - 5.5 - Think we expected too much of him but he has been our biggest disappointment. Admittedly didn't have a pre-season but his passing has to be better if he wants to be more than a squad player.

Charlie Lee - 6 - looks to be coming toward the end of his career. Clay carried him most of the time and his passing towards the end of the season was shocking. Surprised if he is with us next season

Macauley Bonne - 7,5 - 45 goals in 88 starts with some of the easiest misses I've ever seen thrown in. Runs all day and is brilliant at holding the ball up. Would hate to lose him and he can go out every Sunday, I don't mind.

Matt Harrold - 7 - has become our lucky mascot. I've been harsh in the past (once called him a piece of stone). Has only actually started 3 league games this season but his goals have been so important, especially the equaliser against Halifax and the one that finished Harrogate off. I recall his assist for Dayton's goal away at Chesterfield in a game when we were second best all game. Turns 35 in July and his cameo today was probably also his swansong. Thanks big guy

Josh Koromoa - 7.5. - For me a season of two halves. Was brilliant before his January injury and was capable of anything (watch his first at Fylde again). Since then he hasn't been the same play (brilliant goal against Halifax, mind). Will have a hell of a next season

James Alabi - 5 - Unless we pay him off we're stuck with him next season. Terrible touch, poor player

Jay Simpson - 6 - You can see his intelligence on the ball but was never fit enough to make a contribution. Can't imagine a L1 team would offer him a contract and with a pre-season behind him you never know

Done
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Seasons Ratings

Post by gshaw »

I'd keep Turley as he's one of those handy players who can play RB and CB easily. Also gives us a nasty edge, which is all part of what's been required to be successful when the going gets tough.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Definitely definitely try and keep Turley.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

jamespevans wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:12 pm Couldn't be bothered contributing to the Braintree rating because as we all know we are champions because what we have done over the whole season. Seven defeats, the 3rd highest number of goals and the best defence (fact). My ratings for the season (current squad only(:

Brill - 7.5 - a guy who came to us as a coach and prior to Edinburgh coming in hadn't played a competitive match for 2.5 years (little known fact, his first game for the O's was also Edinburgh's first game). Very few mistakes, command his box in the air (most of the time) and pulled off some world class saves this season. I can live with him still being a bit chunky!

Sam Ling - 6 - Has had a stop-start season but, for me, not as strong as Judd in the RB position. Looked more comfortable with the new formation but still a poor crosser of the ball

Joe Widdowson - 7 - I'm a big fan and like Clay his consistency has shone through this season. Needs a new contract. Just hate it when I see a player bombing through on the left or lurking at the back post and realise it is him. He will never ever score another goal in professional football

Myles Judd - 7 - Also a big fan. Yes he's rash but he is 19 and, given the chance by Edinburgh, will turn into our No1 RB/WB. I can see him thriving in the current formation

Josh Coulson - 8 - Would love to see him finish his career with us. Orient through and through, a rock at the back and his goals this season have been so important. The four games he missed after the Salford defeat we picked up four points - nuff said

Dan Happe - 7 - improving all the time and his season didn't start until he came off the bench at Salford for Coulson. Lacks pace and needs to be more aware of what is going on around him but he is only 20 and has earned his place.

Marvin Ekpiteta - 7.5 - Ridiculous improvement in such a short time. He was actually an unused sub for our first game of the season (Elokobi was picked ahead of him). Missed the same four games as Coulson after Salford and how we missed them both. I also don't think McCallum would have had is as easy as he did if Ekpiteta wasn't suspended. Bolster our midfield and we have a hell of a central team behind them next season.

Jamie Turley - 6 - Has done the job(s) we've asked him to do and we all know he is a bog standard old fashioned centre back who leaves his mark. Hard to see him being kept on

Alex Lawless - 6 - Was given a handful of starts after Edinburgh arrived but has never really featured since (only 7 league starts this season). In an average midfield wasn't able to command a place. Another who won't be here next season

Jobie McAnuff - 7.5 - A real captain (the look on his face as he was forced off today) and would love him to give us another season. His experience and intelligence really will be missed when he hangs up his boots.

Craig Clay - 7.5 - For chunks of this season he has been our only central midfielder, driving forward, last ditch tackles. Has become our most consistent player. He ain't half racking up the yellow cards though.

Jordan Maguire-Drew - 7 - looking forward to seeing this guy in action next season. Already looks like our best crosser of the ball and is naturally two-footed.

James Dayton - 6.5 - Can't make up my mind about him and another player whose season was ruined by injury. Only two assists this season where you would expect more. Always worked hard and will always look less spectacular than JMD and Koroma. Sentiment says offer him a year contract as a squad player.

James Brophy - 7 - Can be our most frustrating/exciting player (dead-heat with Koromoa). Had a difficult start to the season which didn't really happen until December. I think Edinburgh trusts him to put in a shift these days.

Dale Gorman - 5.5 - Think we expected too much of him but he has been our biggest disappointment. Admittedly didn't have a pre-season but his passing has to be better if he wants to be more than a squad player.

Charlie Lee - 6 - looks to be coming toward the end of his career. Clay carried him most of the time and his passing towards the end of the season was shocking. Surprised if he is with us next season

Macauley Bonne - 7,5 - 45 goals in 88 starts with some of the easiest misses I've ever seen thrown in. Runs all day and is brilliant at holding the ball up. Would hate to lose him and he can go out every Sunday, I don't mind.

Matt Harrold - 7 - has become our lucky mascot. I've been harsh in the past (once called him a piece of stone). Has only actually started 3 league games this season but his goals have been so important, especially the equaliser against Halifax and the one that finished Harrogate off. I recall his assist for Dayton's goal away at Chesterfield in a game when we were second best all game. Turns 35 in July and his cameo today was probably also his swansong. Thanks big guy

Josh Koromoa - 7.5. - For me a season of two halves. Was brilliant before his January injury and was capable of anything (watch his first at Fylde again). Since then he hasn't been the same play (brilliant goal against Halifax, mind). Will have a hell of a next season

James Alabi - 5 - Unless we pay him off we're stuck with him next season. Terrible touch, poor player

Jay Simpson - 6 - You can see his intelligence on the ball but was never fit enough to make a contribution. Can't imagine a L1 team would offer him a contract and with a pre-season behind him you never know

Done
Rubbish , get rid of Bonne , Koroma , Marvin and one or two others , Keep Alibi and Gorman .............. ive been drinking heavily tonight by the way 😅🍺😅🍺
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

I would try to keep Simpson if possible, but his interview in today's programme reads as if he will be off.
HavantO
Fresh Alias

Post by HavantO »

Alaaaaaaaaaaaaabi
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:18 am Definitely definitely try and keep Turley.
Yesterday he said he was hoping to stay
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

I hope so. He has contributed well since his arrival and his crossing quality was in evidence yesterday.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Those are a bit stingy.

For me, Macanuff is a 9 for leadership and the greatest comeback since Lazarus. 9 also for Coulson, Ekpiteta, Happe. It’s the defence that won it for us.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

afraid you have to be ruthless in football .
you need to get rid off all the dead wood whoever that maybe, and bring in
hopefully quality players. ( if you can find them) or we will end up back where we started. IMOP.
John BercOw
Fresh Alias

Post by John BercOw »

I hope we keep Turley, league 2 will have their 'bruiser' players and teams just like the national league - so keeping a lump like Turley will be an important move imo
Rambling Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Rambling Man »

The Non-League Paper calls Clay 'unsung', which is spot on. He's been vital this season from Day 1.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

greyhound wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:21 am afraid you have to be ruthless in football .
you need to get rid off all the dead wood whoever that maybe, and bring in
hopefully quality players. ( if you can find them) or we will end up back where we started. IMOP.
Justin is ruthless, don’t worry about that.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Rambling Man wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:17 am The Non-League Paper calls Clay 'unsung', which is spot on. He's been vital this season from Day 1.
He’s really not unsung though, is he?

There is simply no comparison between the Clay that played the second half of this season compared to the one that played the first half of this season and last.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:03 am I hope so. He has contributed well since his arrival and his crossing quality was in evidence yesterday.
It is about being ruthless. Yes, he has contributed to our success and we needed him when we brought him in but......we are going up a division and he is currently 4th choice centre back and 3rd choice right back. As I said, job done and I wish him well.
Delamod
Fresh Alias

Post by Delamod »

Beradogs wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:11 am Those are a bit stingy.

For me, Macanuff is a 9 for leadership and the greatest comeback since Lazarus. 9 also for Coulson, Ekpiteta, Happe. It’s the defence that won it for us.
Mark Lazarus?
Bang on about the defence.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Nice summation JPE
eppinggas
Fresh Alias

Post by eppinggas »

I thought a few people were quite critical of Jobi when I 'sort of started supporting Orient as my second team' at the start of last season. Seems a long time since I had to go in the Solihull end for the 1st game of the season due to ticketing chaos.The games I've seen - he always looks comfortable on the ball. Always gives 100%. Looks sharp. Great dead ball delivery. Natural leader on the pitch. He's 37!!! What a fantastic role model and professional footballer. I'm sure he could have continued playing in at a higher level before joining Orient. Top bloke. I hope to see him in Div 2 for the O's next season. UTO's & UTG (we are now at last mathematically safe - secured with a 0-0 draw)...
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Definitely, he’s been a different player under Justin.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Ill go with:

Brill - 8 - Had my doubts about him this season but cant really complain about his clean sheets. His weak spot is coming out for crosses and getting down quickly but he has made some stunning saves and his influence and leadership has definitely helped our defenders.

Widdowson - 7 - Pretty steady and an improvement on last year. Started the season really well but been under par in the last few months. As much as he is clearly a grafter, i think we will need to upgrade next season and have Joe as a backup LB/CB.

Ling - 5 - He looked lost in the first few games and didn't really improve on that. I liked what i saw last season but I dont think he can defend unfortunately.

Judd - 6 - He had some really great performances. I love his intensity and determination and probably our best full back in an attacking sense but he cant stay fit. If he could it would be a 7 or 8.

Coulson - 9 - The guy is immense. Scored some valuable goals and a real leader at the back. Dont think he had a really bad game all season. Also helped the young CBs

Ekpiteta - 8 - Considering it was his first full season in the NL, he did so well. He has such quick feet for a gangly CB and his positional sense is spot on. Really impressed with him this year and only disappointing thing was that it took big George getting injured for him to get a shot.

Happe - 7 - Really calm and cultured CB and still so young. Had a few times where he looked a bit lost and not quiet at Marvs level yet but could surpass him next year.

Turley - 6 - Probably a bit controversial, dont really see the fascination. He did a job when he came in but would be too sad if he didn't re sign.

Maguire-Drew - 6 - Showed some good signs and i think he is one for the future. Still very young and a clever player. Not fit enough when he came in probably. Excited to see him next year.

Brophy - 7 - A tale of two halves really. Started off the season pretty poorly and i dont think he's been fit until the last 6 weeks. Undoubtably though, he is the quickest player in the team and can be a spark to make things happen. MUST work on his decision making and final ball but he took one for the team more than once and played in about 5 positions in the run in.

Dayton - 5 - Just didn't happen for him this year. Came back from injury last year and never looked the same. Didn't want to take people on and looked sluggish. Loved him last year but think his time should be up with us.

McAnuff - 9 - Performance wise, the season caught up with him fast. He was unreal in the first few months but his age obviously became a factor as the pitches got heavier and the weather got worse. But saying that, his influence seems to be irrespective of his performances. He is a leader and a calming presence on the pitch and whilst i was dubious about bringing him back, i dont think we get promoted without him.

Lee - 5 - Struggled the whole season. Looks to have lost a few yards of pace after his injury and apart from a spell of about 4 games, barely had an influence on any games. Gotta be released.

Lawless - 5.5 - Hard to judge as he didn't get many chances. Was one of our best players in the first game of the season but then fell out of favour. Didn't really do much in his rare appearances. Release.

Gorman - 4 - Probably not all his fault but got about 45 mins of pre-season and never caught up with everyone else. Still think theres a player in there and he is only 21 so i have hope for next year, in a better league, he will have a bit more space and thrive. But based on this year, he was a key player we really needed to be good and he didn't have one good game all year.

Clay - 8 - Its easy to forget that he was pretty bad at the start of the season. But his second half has been key. He has single handedly held the midfield together in some games and his fitness is probably the best in the league. Deserves a new contract next year.

Koroma - 8 - Clearly too good for the NL in his general play, decision making needs improvement but i wouldn't want to take away his confidence when shooting from everywhere. its lead to seem class goals and he will surely win goal of the season for the bromley one. Its been a pleasure watching him come on this year and improve every week. Hope we can keep him.

Bonne - 9 - Without his goals we finish about 10th. Struggled in the latter part of the season with goals but his effort is always 100% and brings so much to the team. His determination is something to behold and he played literally every league game and almost every minute. Hopefully we get some players in to be able to give him rest and help with his scoring in the latter half of seasons.

Harrold - 6 - Struggled to start the season and didn't really do anything in-between multiple injuries but after xmas he has been huge. Our only player who can win a ball and chipped in with a couple of goals. Personally think we can do better but will be interesting if he gets a new contract.

Alabi - 2 - Such a disappointment. Was brought in to be Bonne's partner and failed miserably. Scored 2 goals all year, 2! Ran around a lot like a headless chicken but hasn't got the quality. need to somehow ship him out. sorry.

Simpson - 4 - Disappointing. Scored one goal and looked good in one game but in hindsight, was probably a poor decision to bring him in instead of another midfielder. Doubt he'll be back.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

jamespevans wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:12 pmDan Happe - 7 - improving all the time and his season didn't start until he came off the bench at Salford for Coulson. Lacks pace and needs to be more aware of what is going on around him but he is only 20 and has earned his place.
Lol, are you serious?

Simpson would be excellent in League 2 with a full pre-season behind him so I'd keep. Don't think anyone has had a below par season apart from Alabi. Lee and Lawless are clearly coming to the end of their careers but have filled in well the last few months, Dayton would be a real asset if he stays fit. I'd also back Gorman to come good after a proper pre-season.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:50 am
jamespevans wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:12 pmDan Happe - 7 - improving all the time and his season didn't start until he came off the bench at Salford for Coulson. Lacks pace and needs to be more aware of what is going on around him but he is only 20 and has earned his place.
Lol, are you serious?

Simpson would be excellent in League 2 with a full pre-season behind him so I'd keep. Don't think anyone has had a below par season apart from Alabi. Lee and Lawless are clearly coming to the end of their careers but have filled in well the last few months, Dayton would be a real asset if he stays fit. I'd also back Gorman to come good after a proper pre-season.
Tend to agree with you but am unsure about Dayton and whether he can stay injury free in L2. Happe does lack pace and is a confidence play. He picked up an early booking against Harrogate and was very ropey for the rest of the match. Having said that he is getting better and better.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

jamespevans wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:05 pm
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:50 am
Lol, are you serious?

Tend to agree with you but am unsure about Dayton and whether he can stay injury free in L2. Happe does lack pace and is a confidence play. He picked up an early booking against Harrogate and was very ropey for the rest of the match. Having said that he is getting better and better.
Don't think he overly lacks pace tbh, not rapid but not noticeably slow and his reading of the game more than makes up for it. My main issue was you saying he needs to be more aware of what's happening around him, which I couldn't disagree with more. For a 20 year old his awareness is superb.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

IMO too generous to the failures and not generous enough to the guys that have played well.

People like Coulson, McAnuff should be 9, don't think it could have gone much better for Coulson and he must be the third top scorer, and considering Jobi's age it was a minor miracle we got so much out of him as well as his leadership.

Widdowson/Clay should be around 8, they might regard this as their best seasons ever and been overall very consistent. I'd be inclined to put Koroma, Ekpiteta and Bonne at this mark as well, for all of them it has been a season of two halves. Had all of them maintained the form in the first half of the season it would be unbelievable, in the second half they have not been as good but still been decent. Brill as well had a good year and should be here as well.

Maguire-Drew. Turley, Judd, Happe all have impressed but for various reasons didn't play many games across the whole season, can give them 7.

Dayton, Brophy, Harrold, were average, good sides and down sides. Might seem harsh on Harrold but I attach no weighting to the Trophy games, and all get a 6. Dayton was not as effective as last year and got a bad injury, by the time he came back the system had changed against him. Brophy was not having a good season but improved with the change of formation, still not much sign of a decent end product to go with his pace.

Despite winning the league some players have had quite poor seasons, Ling, Alabi, Gorman, need big improvements. Lee, Lawless, Elokobi, Mooney, Simpson were expensive failures. Various scores of 5 and below for these.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

I'd like Turley to stay. Attributes we need, good squad player. Ling is just not good enough and will get found out in L2 but he is under contract so will be in the squad, worry about Judd's fitness. Turley provides cover.

Simpson was clearly off the pace, never got to see what he could do. I'd be happy with him getting a deal and a full pre-season. Quality.

Gorman I hope delivers. Glimpses of what he can do so with a full pre-season to prepare we may see him provide the midfield creativity we need. Hope so. would love him to come good.

Don't really see the need to break up the Coulson, Happe, Ekpiteta, Widdowson combo, nor Clay in midfield. Bonne and Koroma are certs. Brill too has done enough but we need strong backup. Build the squad around these guys.

Not too sure about Brophy. Too one-footed, Dayton runs hot and cold but wouldn't be annoyed if both get a shot.

Surely Alabi has more to offer than we've seen so far. Not really got views on JMD, like Gorman has shown glimpses of quality.

McAnuff. If anybody deserves recognition its Jobi. A natural leader who contributes so much, even when not having the best of games, and for his age puts in a shift. Would love to see him get some sort of role at the club, even play on occasions. But I fear Wembley will be his last game for us.