What are you Watching Today Part 2

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: What are you Watching Today Part 2

Post by Dunners »

I just caught up with Monday's edition of Only Connect. The captain of the Europhiles team looks a bit familiar.

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:44 am One of my first girlfriends looked like Bruce Forsythe so I have a very soft spot for Kikini
Palladium Brucey? Generation Game Brucie? Or Strictly Brucie?
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Happy days - I'm watching Essex play Notts - T20 in Abu Dhabi
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Wicked Little Letters- wanted to like it but just wasnt funny. Some woke casting too.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:54 am I just caught up with Monday's edition of Only Connect. The captain of the Europhiles team looks a bit familiar.

That is a sick t-shirt.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Watched Anatomy Of A Fall yesterday, really good film with an all time great cinematic depiction of a domestic argument in one scene.

Highly recommend
ChorizO
Fresh Alias

Post by ChorizO »

Bodies. Complete and utter garbage. Stephen Graham woefully miscast.
Mumbo jumbo of the worst order.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

ChorizO wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:20 pm Bodies. Complete and utter garbage. Stephen Graham woefully miscast.
Anything else you personally hate? Looking for something to watch tonight so would appreciate any suggestions
ChorizO
Fresh Alias

Post by ChorizO »

The Mindsweep wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:53 pm
ChorizO wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:20 pm Bodies. Complete and utter garbage. Stephen Graham woefully miscast.
Anything else you personally hate? Looking for something to watch tonight so would appreciate any suggestions
Don’t be lazy.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

20 Days in Mariupol (ch4) - BAFTA-winning and Oscar-winning, but to be honest I didnt find it that interesting. Its mainly footage of injured and dead people in a bombed out Mariupol.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:05 am 20 Days in Mariupol (ch4) - BAFTA-winning and Oscar-winning, but to be honest I didnt find it that interesting. Its mainly footage of injured and dead people in a bombed out Mariupol.
Out of interest, what were you expecting?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

The footage is important, much of it made international news, but its just not that interesting to watch as a piece or now in 2024.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Leave the World Behind

Would have worked well if, through a ruthless edit, it was a short film. But other than that it's just not as clever as it thinks it is to sustain the current running time.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Can not be expected to trawl through multiple pages: has The Dectrorists re-runs on BBC IPlayer been mentioned or rated?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Yeah, The Detectorists is generally approved of on this board.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Tried a couple of episodes, rating: boring.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

It is subtle...
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Dunners wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:38 am Barry - Just finished S1. Agree with everything posted so far, as this show deserves a lot more attention than it's getting. Simply brilliant writing.
Have now finished the fourth and final season of Barry. As it went on it just got darker, weirder, and more surreal. At times, when watching it, I had to check that I wasn't on drugs. It is one of the most original, creative and occasionally disturbing series I've watched in a long time. Recommended.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Were you?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I'm not entirely sure.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

On Dunners recommendation went to see Standing at the Edge of the Sky. I'm a huge fan of Richard Hawley so throughoghly enjoyed it, the songs , acting and production were 10/10. Lovely theatre too, never been to that one.
My wife thought it was a bit too long and dreary.

Also caught 2 movies
The Holdovers- really good from the Sideways writers etc. Similar vibe, 8/10.
American Fiction- very clever satire, much gentle nodding by the silver bearded hipsters in the Soho picture house. 9/10.

Went to a stand up comedy night in which we were the only members of the audience. They did it anyway and were surprised I knew what pegging was. Best joke of the night was when Mrs C told them she was commissioning editor for RTE Television Comedy dept.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

For anyone interested in another theatre recommendation, I give you The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button.

It's a Celtic musical adapted from the book, not the film, so do not be put off if you happened to watch that and found it disappointing. The story is set in a Cornish fishing village, and the music is top level. I saw this last year at the Southwark Playhouse and thought it was easily one of the best productions from the last few years, so am not surprised to see it get a West End transfer. This will be a big hit and deservedly so.

Plus, the promo code "THEPICKLEDCRAB" will give you access to seriously dirt-cheap tickets (£20, £40 & £60) for a good selection of preview shows from 10th October to 5th November before it goes on it's main run. https://www.atgtickets.com/shows/the-cu ... 2024-10-10

Top tip - the reason there are so many preview dates (usually you only get a few) is that this is a very technically challenging show for the actors, as they also have to be proficient in playing a range of Celtic musical instruments throughout the performance. Therefore, booking one of the latter performances will reduce the chances of you experiencing any performance hitches.

The only downside is that it's at the Ambassadors Theatre. Your legs, back and buttocks will be in agony.

CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Dunners wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:11 am
Dunners wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:13 pm Whodunnit (unrehearsed) at the Park Theatre in Finsbury Park.

A company of six actors stage a whodunnit play, but where the inspector investigating the crime is a well-known celebrity who has no prior knowledge of what to expect. Their lines and directions are fed to them through an earpiece.

I went to see the penultimate show on Saturday afternoon, and our special guest was Adrian Dunbar (best known for playing Ted (sweet Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey) Hastings from Line of Duty). He, and the play, was absolutely brilliant. What started off as a regular whodunnit just descended into one of the most hilariously bonkers and absurdist shows I think I have ever seen. One minute you’re watching a murder mystery, and the next you’re being treated to an impromptu Broadway musical interjected by Mastermind sequences while being randomly asked to hold an inflatable parrot.

The Park Theatre holds just 200 people, so it’s intimate. And given the quality of the show, I could easily see it selling out much bigger venues. But the creator (who was part of a Q&A panel at the end) Mark Cameron confirmed that it was always his intention for it to be a fund raiser for a limited run at a small venue. Each of the celebrities that attend do so for free. And to his credit he has had a decent line up of well-known names. I heard that on one of the previous nights, Johnny Vegas stripped off naked and ran into the audience.

But the best bit was that he confirmed that the show would return for another series at some point in the future. This show is definitely recommended.
It's just been announced that this show is to return next year: https://parktheatre.co.uk/whats-on/whod ... ehearsed-3

Off to this this evening. Cheers for recommendation
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

f*cking addicted to MAFS Australia and I hate myself
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

CEB wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 pm
Dunners wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:11 am
Dunners wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:13 pm Whodunnit (unrehearsed) at the Park Theatre in Finsbury Park.

A company of six actors stage a whodunnit play, but where the inspector investigating the crime is a well-known celebrity who has no prior knowledge of what to expect. Their lines and directions are fed to them through an earpiece.

I went to see the penultimate show on Saturday afternoon, and our special guest was Adrian Dunbar (best known for playing Ted (sweet Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey) Hastings from Line of Duty). He, and the play, was absolutely brilliant. What started off as a regular whodunnit just descended into one of the most hilariously bonkers and absurdist shows I think I have ever seen. One minute you’re watching a murder mystery, and the next you’re being treated to an impromptu Broadway musical interjected by Mastermind sequences while being randomly asked to hold an inflatable parrot.

The Park Theatre holds just 200 people, so it’s intimate. And given the quality of the show, I could easily see it selling out much bigger venues. But the creator (who was part of a Q&A panel at the end) Mark Cameron confirmed that it was always his intention for it to be a fund raiser for a limited run at a small venue. Each of the celebrities that attend do so for free. And to his credit he has had a decent line up of well-known names. I heard that on one of the previous nights, Johnny Vegas stripped off naked and ran into the audience.

But the best bit was that he confirmed that the show would return for another series at some point in the future. This show is definitely recommended.
It's just been announced that this show is to return next year: https://parktheatre.co.uk/whats-on/whod ... ehearsed-3

Off to this this evening. Cheers for recommendation
Hope it was okay. No spoilers please, as I'm there tomorrow night.