What are you Watching Today Part 2

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: What are you Watching Today Part 2

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

The Punk Singer about Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill. Decent if you’re into that sort of thung
LeapsAndBounds
Fresh Alias

Post by LeapsAndBounds »

Since Christmas I have been binge watching early Dr Whos on IPlayer. I missed a long of them in the sixties as I was too busy supporting the Os. A lot of the William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton episodes have been lost but some have been replaced by animation. Enjoyed watching my favourite assistant Zoe again. Appreciated the chemistry between Jon Pertwee and the Master played brilliantly by Roger Delgardo (sadly he died in a car crash which apparently influenced Jon Pertwee to give up the role). I am now into The Tom Baker years. The stories are still great. I will give up after Colin Baker as I couldn't stand the thought of watching the hideous Ace again. Never watch the latest Dr Who rubbish.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

Anybody watch the ITV documentary on Monday about the Ukraine war? Reporter Sean Langan following Russian troops about, getting their perspective on the war. Interesting stuff certainly, but I still find the relationship between ordinary Ukrainians and Russians confusing
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Just watched the 7th episode of Sexy Beast. If you liked the film and enjoy a bit of gangster stuff don’t miss this. It even gives the O’s a mention. But be warned it’s a bit violent in places. Waiting for the next episode
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

Fire Country. Solid brain rot but an engaging enough cast and a good watch before bed to wind down.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Re-runs of "Curb your enthusiasm". Very, very funny. How he gets in to these situations is uncanny but it is so feasable.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

Lupin on Netflix.
French Gentleman criminal who bases his capers on classic French literature. Got a Sherlock vibe.
Tres Bon!
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Any suggestions on family films(cert up to PG) that AREN'T animation?

Recently watched Mousehunt
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:05 pm Any suggestions on family films(cert up to PG) that AREN'T animation?

Recently watched Mousehunt
School of Rock
Paddington 2
Nativity
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I endorse all those. There used to be so many great films for kids. Must be 90% animations or marvel now and they're mostly junk.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Are you after recent films or open to some suggestions of hidden gems from over the years?
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:08 pm I endorse all those. There used to be so many great films for kids. Must be 90% animations or marvel now and they're mostly junk.
Yes mouse hunt is brilliant. Try Daddy’s home or if you want a real golden oldie On The Beat. Norman Wisdom at his best but in black and White.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

CEB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:12 pm Are you after recent films or open to some suggestions of hidden gems from over the years?
More interested in older ones that have been forgotten. But anything really

Off the top of my head, done

Matilda
Matilda musical
Good burger
Good burger two
All the Home Alones
Honey I shrunk the kids
Beethoven
Jumanji
Ace ventura 1 & 2
Grinch
Addams family
Nanny McPhee
Poppins
Harry Potters
Mrs Doubtfire
Hocus Pocus
Mr Bean
Narnia
Jingle all the way
Dumb and dumber
The mask
Wallace and gromits
Peter rabbit
Night at the museum
Diary of a wimpy kid
Elf
Enchanted
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Mary Poppins 2 was alright.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Standing at the Sky’s Edge.

Playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, currently booked until 3 August.

The central character is the home. Or, in this case, a flat located in the Park Hill estate in Sheffield. The story follows the experiences and lives of three separate households who happen to live in this flat across a 70-ish year period, starting from the early 60s and up to the present era. The backdrop is the political and cultural events of each household’s respective era, and how this all intertwines.

And then there’s the music. The songs are written by Richard Hawley, who many will know as the guitarist from bands such as Pulp and The Longpigs, if not for his outstanding solo work. But do not expect any Britpop or indie rock, instead you’re treated to a rich variety of musical styles, all underpinned by an almost timeless array of orchestration and vocalisation.

The cast are all brilliant. There’s no standout performance or ‘star’ as such, but equally I’m unable to pick out a weak link. If I had to pick a favourite, it would be Rachael Wooding who plays Rose in the 1960s couple.

It’s seriously good. I saw the strapline from one review describing it as the “best British musical in decades” and I’m struggling to disagree with this. The last time I saw something this good was George Takei’s Allegiance, although the two are not comparable.

If I had to nitpick (which I do) and find criticism, the 2 hours and 50 minutes running time (not including interval) is on the long side. I didn’t mind this, but there did appear to be a few sections in the first act which dragged and could do with some editing.

Also, the final lyric is; “there’s a songbird, and she’s singing just for me”. As everyone should know, it’s male songbirds that do the singing. But, given just how bloody good the whole thing is I’m willing to overlook such a glaring error on this occasion.

When it comes to ratings, five stars are handed out far too freely in my opinion. Well, this is a genuine five-star production. Due to this theatre’s scheduling, it’s very unlikely that it will be extended beyond the 3 August end date. Go and see it.
Last edited by Dunners on Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

I’d take issue with “better known as the guitarist from Pulp/Longpigs” - it suggests you’ve not heard a lot of his solo stuff - remedy that, he’s bloody great
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

CEB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:25 am I’d take issue with “better known as the guitarist from Pulp/Longpigs” - it suggests you’ve not heard a lot of his solo stuff - remedy that, he’s bloody great
Done. In my defence, I wrote this for yer typical layperson who will probably only have heard of Pulp due to a few of their hits.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

This sounds great apart from the run time. No chance.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:27 am This sounds great apart from the run time. No chance.
There is an interval. Act 1 is about 1 hour 30 minutes, and Act 2 runs for the 1 hour 20 minutes remaining. It's no different to going to the cinema really, and the Gillian Lynne theatre is a 70s build, so far more comfortable than the old Victorian theatres you usually get in the West End.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

I'm over next weekend so was looking at things to book that I haven't seen already. This looks right up our street .
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

I'm enjoying Criminal Record on AppleTV.

One annoying thing though is its meant to be set around the Hackney Downs police beat, but I kept seeing Canary Wharf too close in the background in loads of scenes. I had a check and they filmed in all in Camberwell, Walworth & Brixton.

My wife is getting peed off with me saying " That's definitely a South London type bush or hedge, East London ones are different "
MalvoliO
Fresh Alias

Post by MalvoliO »

LeapsAndBounds wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:10 pm Since Christmas I have been binge watching early Dr Whos on IPlayer.<snip> I am now into The Tom Baker years. <snip> I will give up after Colin Baker as I couldn't stand the thought of watching the hideous Ace again.
The City of Death lives long in my memory. Tom Baker on top form, a weighty story by Douglas Adams (writer of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy), a Parisian setting filmed on location (must have blown that series' budget going to Paris?), a strong supporting cast including Julian Glover (Empire Strikes Back) and Catherine Schell (Space 1999) plus a brilliant cameo from John Cleese (Monty Python), and a scary baddie that gave me nightmares as a child - it's four episodes of pure sci-fi joy.

Don't give up after Colin Baker - the final season of Sylvester McCoy (with Ace) went very dark and laid the foundations of the new series, which is also well worth watching especially the Eccleston and Tennant years.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

Watching the current series of Curb. Man, even if Richard Lewis hadn’t died yet, those scenes with him would be a hard watch. Poor guy looked like he was really suffering.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

CEB wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:29 am Watching the current series of Curb. Man, even if Richard Lewis hadn’t died yet, those scenes with him would be a hard watch. Poor guy looked like he was really suffering.
Yes he looks really ill especially in last night's.
Good series so far, last weeks Disgruntled was a classic.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

It’s annoying Amazon want about 17 quid per season. Tempted to sign up for now tv for 7 quid a month just for curb