Labour Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Labour Watch

Post by Thor »

He couldn’t walk the local elections and not even as a protest vote. You are deluded and living in cloud cuckoo land.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

The local elections were a complete distortion, due to....you know what!
In 2017s GE May thought Corbyn & Labour would be exterminated.......thats why she went for a snap election, after repeatedly saying she wouldnt go for a GE
As you now know, far from being exterminated, Corbyn was about 2½ thousand votes from being the biggest party, and went from approx 22% in the polls to 40%....in just 3 weeks
Wihout the Brexit crap, Corbyn wins the next GE.......even the bookies have him as favourite, and have done for several months now
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

It’s going to be tight. But bringing an end to 40 years or whatever of this turbo capitalism bollocks was never going to be easy.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

You have to be careful reading too much into Council elections with low(ish) turnouts. These elections certainly weren’t great for Labour as they didn’t benefit much from the Tories spanking. The main beneficiaries were the ardent remain parties like the LibDems and The Greens, plus independents (who usually do well when there’s a specific local issue or councillors expensive vanity project causing irritation).

What I really can’t see is how Corbyn can claim that the council election results show we must get a Brexit Deal done (echoing May). Either he wasn’t noticing who had a “good” election, is being duplicitous to achieve his own aims despite the clear opposition of most Labour members, MPs and voters, or he’s just stubbornly thick on this issue.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

slacker wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:49 am You have to be careful reading too much into Council elections with low(ish) turnouts. These elections certainly weren’t great for Labour as they didn’t benefit much from the Tories spanking. The main beneficiaries were the ardent remain parties like the LibDems and The Greens, plus independents (who usually do well when there’s a specific local issue or councillors expensive vanity project causing irritation).

What I really can’t see is how Corbyn can claim that the council election results show we must get a Brexit Deal done (echoing May). Either he wasn’t noticing who had a “good” election, is being duplicitous to achieve his own aims despite the clear opposition of most Labour members, MPs and voters, or he’s just stubbornly thick on this issue.
Possibly all three.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:02 am The local elections were a complete distortion, due to....you know what!
In 2017s GE May thought Corbyn & Labour would be exterminated.......thats why she went for a snap election, after repeatedly saying she wouldnt go for a GE
As you now know, far from being exterminated, Corbyn was about 2½ thousand votes from being the biggest party, and went from approx 22% in the polls to 40%....in just 3 weeks
Wihout the Brexit crap, Corbyn wins the next GE.......even the bookies have him as favourite, and have done for several months now
Fair enough and pretty spot on. However, the issue for the Tories is the leader she crumbled at the sight of the challenge in front of her, people want leadership not a quivering wreck. To be fair JC played his cards well at the election and came out as the best leader at that time, it's probably a shame that he has reneged and gone back on everything he sold to the youth. He has also shown since that he is not fit to govern as well.

Politics is in a mess right now, and whilst I have always supported the Tories I was hoping that Labour would prove to be the party that this country needs right now and to me it's just doing doing it. My outlook is to help others, how can I help people in need, how can I support someone to improve themself, donating to food banks etc. and just trying to be a better person. I want a government that wants to help the many, to lift up the people at the bottom whilst not exactly smashing the people at the top, and to not do it through benefits either. I want a fairer society where each looks out for each other.

I just don't see any of the main parties offering that.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

No, you weren’t hoping anything of the sort about Labour. Don’t talk such tosh.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

No you are wrong, I would love the Labour Party to move back to its roots, I really would. My whole life I've chased the money and I've realised that more can be done, that we should help each other and its not a race to the top. I look around and I see what the good things in life can bring and then I see people struggling to feed themselves, it shouldn't be like that.

The time for change has arrived. I'm not talking politics as such its a much wider and broader issue than that.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

That’s lovely to hear.

But aren’t Jezza and Johnny trying to take the Labour Party back to its roots?
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I'm not so sure, we really need to hear the policies of the party before we could decide. I personally don't think he would be a good leader, but I do believe him when he says he wants to make a difference. I absolutely think he would help the people that need help 1000% it's what he would do to the economy is what worries me. That's why we need to hear what his policies would be and not the crazy press saying he will destroy xyz, we need to see the detail, but I do believe he is sincere. He is also a brexiteer so he can't be all that bad!

Politics is a mess right now, that's for sure.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Mr Weston claims £8.60 for cycling trips in his constituency. I'm not sure if that's good or a bad thing. It's not illegal and hes done nothing wrong, but seriously would you claim an expense for riding your bike? Sounds crazy to me.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Thor wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:40 pm I'm not so sure, we really need to hear the policies of the party before we could decide. I personally don't think he would be a good leader, but I do believe him when he says he wants to make a difference. I absolutely think he would help the people that need help 1000% it's what he would do to the economy is what worries me. That's why we need to hear what his policies would be and not the crazy press saying he will destroy xyz, we need to see the detail, but I do believe he is sincere. He is also a brexiteer so he can't be all that bad!

Politics is a mess right now, that's for sure.
Good point. If only there was some way that they were able to write down all their policies in one handy document, together with relevant costings , and make that available to the public, eh?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Thor wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:20 am Mr Weston claims £8.60 for cycling trips in his constituency. I'm not sure if that's good or a bad thing. It's not illegal and hes done nothing wrong, but seriously would you claim an expense for riding your bike? Sounds crazy to me.
I don’t know who Mr Weston is but if this because he wants to show his green credentials and is doing this to make a point, I get it.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Given the state of the roads £8.60 seems reasonable given the rate at which tyres and spokes get destroyed.

Mikero
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Mikero wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:31 am Given the state of the roads £8.60 seems reasonable given the rate at which tyres and spokes get destroyed.

Mikero
But as a cyclist he won't even be paying any Road Tax bleat whinge etc
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Thor wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:20 am Mr Weston claims £8.60 for cycling trips in his constituency. I'm not sure if that's good or a bad thing. It's not illegal and hes done nothing wrong, but seriously would you claim an expense for riding your bike? Sounds crazy to me.
I've claimed less than that from my work for travelling to client meetings. What's the issue?
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Labour now needs to change direction and pick a side in the Brexit debate.
Up to now Labour have been riding two horses, but this cannot go on.
I can see the dilemma. If they back remain, they please London remainder Labour supporters, but piss off Northern Labour voters, and if they continue with this"we respect the vote" crap, they please Northern Labour voters but alienate Labours London voters..... They can't have it both ways.
I think, that in order to win a General Election anytime soon, Labour must come down on one side or the other, and I now believe it should be the remain side.
Leavers are waxing loudly how Farage has won the election, but I suspect if you add all the remainer votes up together, it surpasses Farages votes.
Labour now needs to get the remainder position back from the Lib-Dems, and become the people's first choice as a remainer party.
I think they could win a GE, if they do that
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

I've often said Labour need to pick a side. I've no idea what they stand for. Corbyn to be fair is being smart. Hiding away, saying very little, waiting for the sh*t to hit the fan. Once he sees the way the land lies he will of course pontificate.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:24 pm Labour now needs to change direction and pick a side in the Brexit debate.
I can see the dilemma. If they back remain, they please London remainder Labour supporters, but p*ss off Northern Labour voters, and if they continue with this"we respect the vote" crap, they please Northern Labour voters but alienate Labours London voters..... They can't have it both ways.
I think, that in order to win a General Election anytime soon, Labour must come down on one side or the other, and I now believe it should be the remain side.
Leavers are waxing loudly how Farage has won the election, but I suspect if you add all the remainer votes up together, it surpasses Farages votes.
Labour now needs to get the remainder position back from the Lib-Dems, and become the people's first choice as a remainer party.
Haven't they already stated what their position is?

I think they need to come down on the other side of the line to maximise votes and do the decent thing in respecting the outcome of the referendum.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

I think the heartlands Labour Leave voter “problem” is made too much of. Agree it was fine to sit on the fence/sidelines and let the Tories fully own the mess of their own making, but the time for triangulating and mixed messages - depending which frontline bod is answering - is coming to an end.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

I think the Labour Remain voter 'problem' is being made too much of.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

slacker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:07 pm I think the heartlands Labour Leave voter “problem” is made too much of. Agree it was fine to sit on the fence/sidelines and let the Tories fully own the mess of their own making, but the time for triangulating and mixed messages - depending which frontline bod is answering - is coming to an end.
Labour are committed to Brexit and respecting the vote. They do however want a workable agreement that doesn't wreck the economy, undermine workers and spark violence in Norn Iron.

Where is the mixed message in that ?
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:24 pm Labour now needs to change direction and pick a side in the Brexit debate.
I can see the dilemma. If they back remain, they please London remainder Labour supporters, but p*ss off Northern Labour voters, and if they continue with this"we respect the vote" crap, they please Northern Labour voters but alienate Labours London voters..... They can't have it both ways.
You believe Labour should come down on the Remain side... What a shock.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:23 pm
slacker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:07 pm I think the heartlands Labour Leave voter “problem” is made too much of. Agree it was fine to sit on the fence/sidelines and let the Tories fully own the mess of their own making, but the time for triangulating and mixed messages - depending which frontline bod is answering - is coming to an end.
Labour are committed to Brexit and respecting the vote. They do however want a workable agreement that doesn't wreck the economy, undermine workers and spark violence in Norn Iron.

Genuinely fail to see the problem here. The Leave campaign constantly told us that Brexit wasn't going to wreck the economy, that agreements would be workable (i think "easiest deal in human history" was mentioned), that workers would be just as well off and no-one mentioned restarting the violence in Northern Ireland.

You'd think they'd all be on Labour's side on this one, really, as they all seem to want the same thing. I voted to remain, but if we can respect the vote and get all that leave promised and Labour want to deliver, then I'll be fairly happy, despite it going against my initial wishes in 2016. Let's hope, eh?
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:23 pm

The mixed message is how they can procrastinate by saying any agreement is unworkable. A simple way of helping create sh*t without actually saying anything positive.