Next Season: New Signings

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Next Season: New Signings

Post by AckneyAwks »

What additions do we need to compete in Div 2?
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Next Season: New Signings

Post by The Mindsweep »

Cody MacDonald
Wayne Rooney
Billy Beal
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Bit ahead of the game but I’d say:
Keeper - not brills biggest fan but can’t deny he’s had a good season so wouldn’t be that upset for him to start but saying that I think we need someone a bit more mobile.

Full backs. If we are going to play 3 cbs and wing backs we have to get players who can attack and cross a ball. Definitely at left back. Happy to keep Widdowson on as backup. Right back we might be stuck with Ling. Like Judd but he’s not attacking.

Centre midfield- cliche now but at least one combative midfielder and a creative one too.

Right sided midfielder- can’t imagine Dayton will be back and Jobi is getting on.

Strikers - happily go into the season with koroma and Bonne. Must get someone good in the air and someone else with experience of the league. Alabi to be shipped out.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Keeper we won't change given both Brill and Sargeant are under contract.

LB must have another option apart from Widdowson, can't keep playing RBs in that role when he isn't available.

CM we'll need at least 2 signings. Lee and Lawless to depart. Jury out on Gorman but he'll get a full pre-season to prove himself. The Dawson / Vincelot-eque player is crucial.

Assuming Alabi plays no further part probably two required there. Be interesting to see what we do with Harrold given he's become a useful asset recently playing in that cameo role seeing out games.

Winger - replacement for Dayton who sadly looks too injury prone to rely on next season. Also need to look to a future beyond McAnuff although would keep him around if possible as he covers multiple roles and leadership is worth its weight in gold.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

AckneyAwks wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:05 pm What additions do we need to compete in Div 2?
New keeper
Brill or one of the kids as back up (Deano preferably back to his coaching role, please)

Turley Judd

Coulson Ekpiteta Happe New CB

Widdowson New LB

JWMD/Brophy/Jobi/New winger

Clay/ New CM x 3

Bonne/Koroma/Harold (lucky boy has just done enough of late)/ New CF

Thank you and goodbyes to Lingy, Lee, Gorman, Alabi and Simpson. Also Dayts sadly, just been too injury prone to ever get going.

I don't know - but I doubt it - if any of the kids are ready to fill any of those first team squad gaps just yet.

It's gonna be a busy summer. I hope Ling snr ain't buggering off to the US of A again this break.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I have faith in the Managment to make the best and hardest decisions

COYOs
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

I would agree that we should part with Ling, Gorman, Alabi, Dayton , lee, Simpson. I said before he was even considered for the first team that Happe would be excellent , and I say the same about Ogie who I think will be terrific. My brother raves about so satourie ( or however you spell his name) . So as long as we can keep this side together and add the obvious midfield players we have been lacking to partner Clay , we will be fine. I would like that Halifax wide midfielder with the pony tail here.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

Sorry if my posts are a bit iffy, I have been celebrating, and had quite a lot to drink. Come on you os.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Gorman given he's under contract is probably worth giving a chance to, L2 might suit him a bit more than the rough and tumble of NL. Can't see many takers given the lack of game time and poor performances so likely to be here.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Dayton will be rewarded with a new contract, read Justin’s column in the programme to see that bit of information.

Other than that like Elliott Ness I trust in the management to build a team which will not only compete, but will win league 2. If you look at Lincoln they’ve just won the league and I think you’ll find continuity has helped them immensely and I’d surprised if we had wholesale changes to the squad.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Realised I left lawless out.

Thor would you suggest keeping on those I’ve listed to keep continuity?
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

McCallum would give us a brilliant set of forwards if we can keep hold of Bonne and Koroma and retain Harrold. That forward line would be good enough for L2.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:23 pm
AckneyAwks wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:05 pm What additions do we need to compete in Div 2?
New keeper
Brill or one of the kids as back up (Deano preferably back to his coaching role, please)

Turley Judd

Coulson Ekpiteta Happe New CB

Widdowson New LB

JWMD/Brophy/Jobi/New winger

Clay/ New CM x 3

Bonne/Koroma/Harold (lucky boy has just done enough of late)/ New CF

Thank you and goodbyes to Lingy, Lee, Gorman, Alabi and Simpson. Also Dayts sadly, just been too injury prone to ever get going.

I don't know - but I doubt it - if any of the kids are ready to fill any of those first team squad gaps just yet.

It's gonna be a busy summer. I hope Ling snr ain't buggering off to the US of A again this break.
No mention of Lawless staying or leaving ? IMO, he wont be here next season. Sam Ling, contracted to the Os till 30.06.20 and still young, be surprised if he is moved on. Strengthening the CM area, yes and just wonder ( the old chestnut ) if a certain Mr Adams might be back to compete for that role ? Gorman and Alabi, well both contracted here till 30.06.20, be interesting to see what happens to those two, often said that we will not see the best of Gorman till next season, as to Alabi, well massive improvements needed if he is ever to gain even a regular spot on the subs bench but if no improvements happen, then perhaps be loaned out till his contract expires at the end of next season. ''King Harrold'' yes showed enough in recent months to earn a one years contract. Of course we are hoping that the players that have contracts running out this season WISH to remain at the Os if offered new contracts, some like Clay, for just one example, just might get better offers ?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

[quote=Thor post_id=3306 time=1555970339 user_id=123]
Dayton will be rewarded with a new contract, read Justin’s column in the programme to see that bit of information.

Really ?
Surprised at that, rather injury prone player so misses quite a few games in a season.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Buddy Manucci wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:11 pm McCallum would give us a brilliant set of forwards if we can keep hold of Bonne and Koroma and retain Harrold. That forward line would be good enough for L2.
Like the sound of those four for next season.
Harrold would be a good influence to have around to help with the development of the three younger players.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:06 pm Realised I left lawless out.

Thor would you suggest keeping on those I’ve listed to keep continuity?
Of the players you want to out, I think Ling will still be here as will Gorman, cos mark my words he will be a better player next season after having a proper pre season. Dayton after Justin’s column I think he will get another year, especially as he played so well prior to his first injury, and we proper missed him whilst he was out. The second injury was not cos he’s injury prone but he got snapped in half by an idiot. If Brill received an insurance payout previously as someone has suggested it might complicate matters for him, but I’d still keep him as he’s been excellent all season long. I think he was at fault for one goal all season against Barrow I seem to recall, which is mightily impressive statistic. If insurance isn’t an issue I think he will be good in league 2 as well. The rest I think your right.
Andersonitis
Fresh Alias

Post by Andersonitis »

Not going to make too many judgements
But am astonished about somes opinion of Brill,
He is hands down, the best keeper in this league & he could easily do a job for us next year,
Like Clay & Joe a lot of the usual suspects that we all don’t rate could bloom next year, so I’m not going to say a bad word about anyone,
Frankly they have all been heroes this season.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Andersonitis wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:41 am Not going to make too many judgements
He is hands down, the best keeper in this league & he could easily do a job for us next year,
Like Clay & Joe a lot of the usual suspects that we all don’t rate could bloom next year, so I’m not going to say a bad word about anyone,
Well said in contrast to the moaning negativity of the previous respondent.

Let us savour this week and especially the last game.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Harrold has been a good impact sub at the business end of the season (i.e. a couple of hours' worth of football across the whole season). But a year older at a division higher? Nah, I don't think so - particularly if 9as above) we get McCallum or someone like him.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Andersonitis wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:41 am Not going to make too many judgements
Agreed.

Ideally we'd replace everyone with the entire Man City team, but we know that's not practical. Nor do we have an exhaustive enough budget to replace 5-8 players as suggested by some. We also want to keep the fabric of the side together and for this reason I can see no more than 4 players coming in - unless we sell a player (Koroma/Bonne/Happe/Marv will all command a decent fee).

It probably depends on who signs new deals as to whom we bring in and where. Ling will have a list of 20-30 targets in all positions, most of whom are wanted by others and a few of them that would prefer to come to us. For sure, it will be an interesting summer.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

Not yet guaranteed we'll be in Div 2 next season. Let's seal the deal first.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Thor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:58 pm Dayton will be rewarded with a new contract, read Justin’s column in the programme to see that bit of information.

Other than that like Elliott Ness I trust in the management to build a team which will not only compete, but will win league 2. If you look at Lincoln they’ve just won the league and I think you’ll find continuity has helped them immensely and I’d surprised if we had wholesale changes to the squad.
If i'm not mistaken he said something along the lines of 'hopefully he will recover and return fit for pre-season'. He didn't specify it will be with us?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Personally I would keep Gorman. It's easy to forget that he is still really young and although he has had a horrible season, he will learn from it and hopefully with a proper pre season, will be fitter.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

More important than new signings is not watching good players leave, for example as did Ebou Adams. The following players are out of contract at the end of June:

Charlie GRAINGER Let go
Joe WIDDOWSON Keep
Charlie LEE Let go
Alex LAWLESS Let go
Craig CLAY Must keep
James DAYTON Let go
Matt HARROLD Maybe keep
Jobi McANUFF One year contract ?
Jamie TURLEY Maybe keep
Jay SIMPSON Let go

That said I would rather concentrate on keeping what we've got rather than whole scale changes. We also have valuable assets not out of contract that may go if the right offers come in. Would be pleased to start the new season with any squad as good as we have now.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Thor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:58 pm Dayton will be rewarded with a new contract, read Justin’s column in the programme to see that bit of information.

Lincoln didn't go straight up to League One from the National League , they first consolidated themselves in League Two last season. I would be more than happy to follow in their footsteps .