Surrender line -up

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Four four two
Fresh Alias

Surrender line -up

Post by Four four two »

Absolutely gobsmacked to see that we had returned to the 5-3-2 formation that served us so well at home to Swindon. If Boris can label an act a surrender bill i can label our line up as the surrender formation. Surely , even if you don't attend the games, the scorelines while we are playing this surrender brand of football speak for themselves. Weirdly enough, when we abandon this white flag approach and our forwards come on the team starts clicking and we pose a threat. The reasons that this does not work

1. Ling and Widdowson are not wing backs and will never be in a million years.
2. Ling and Widdowson are in no mans land neither defending nor attacking. Where are they ?
3. We are effectively playing with nine men
3. Coulson, Happe and Marvin are constantly running over to cover Widdowson and Ling leaving gaps in the middle
4 Opposing managers simply target this system and pump ball down our channels forcing our centre backs to move across.
5. We are inviting pressure with less forwards on the pitch
5 There is no width. Ling and Widdowson are defenders and not proper wingers. They are not forward thinking. They don't know whether to run forward when we have the ball or hang a little back just in case. Therefore there are little options for the midfield.
6. Bottom line, we are MORE vulnerable in defence and less potent up front.
7. Its a total shambles

I can appreciate that Ross is trying to stop the shipment of goals but the solution is not by using a 5-3-2 system. He needs to look at personnel when we play 4 at the back , that's the problem, not the system .

He should have been sitting behind the goal as we were at Colchester to see where the real problems lie. He needed to see at close hand what was happening. Bottom line, where was the marking. ? Unfortunately, Widdowson had a shocker and Ling not far behind. Were ANY crosses stopped ?

Personally, id move Marvin to right back and give Ogie a go at left back. Slade moved Cuthbert there successfully. In essence Marvin has been playing there anyway nearly all season covering for Ling in no mans land. Ogie looked outstanding when i saw him play.

Its the full backs that are the weak link with four at the back, that's the problems and that's what the management team are failing to see in my opinion.

Still, we got a point ... Up the O's !
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Re: Surrender line -up

Post by Buddy Manucci »

The reason it doesn't work is because we don't have proper wingbacks or a proper decent holding midfielder. Most of the other points happen because of those defiencies.

Point 3 is how the formation should work anyway.
Pandy
Fresh Alias

Post by Pandy »

Couldn't believe the starting formation and agree with everything you said. Bet we don't start with the team that was on the pitch at the end.
TeddyG
Fresh Alias

Post by TeddyG »

I honestly think that your average Sunday league manager could figure out how to score against that formation.

As you said, stick your fastest player on the wing, pump balls down said wing, tear the central defence apart covering said ball down the wing, ball across to unmarked attacker in the box who hasn’t been picked up by the midfield, GOAL.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Also when Brophy and JMD were on the pitch why did it take us so long to put them on the sides that they are most effective?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

TeddyG wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:10 am I honestly think that your average Sunday league manager could figure out how to score against that formation.

As you said, stick your fastest player on the wing, pump balls down said wing, tear the central defence apart covering said ball down the wing, ball across to unmarked attacker in the box who hasn’t been picked up by the midfield, GOAL.
Spot on.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Four four two wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:07 am Absolutely gobsmacked to see that we had returned to the 5-3-2 formation that served us so well at home to Swindon. If Boris can label an act a surrender bill i can label our line up as the surrender formation. Surely , even if you don't attend the games, the scorelines while we are playing this surrender brand of football speak for themselves. Weirdly enough, when we abandon this white flag approach and our forwards come on the team starts clicking and we pose a threat. The reasons that this does not work

1. Ling and Widdowson are not wing backs and will never be in a million years.
2. Ling and Widdowson are in no mans land neither defending nor attacking. Where are they ?
3. We are effectively playing with nine men
3. Coulson, Happe and Marvin are constantly running over to cover Widdowson and Ling leaving gaps in the middle
4 Opposing managers simply target this system and pump ball down our channels forcing our centre backs to move across.
5. We are inviting pressure with less forwards on the pitch
5 There is no width. Ling and Widdowson are defenders and not proper wingers. They are not forward thinking. They don't know whether to run forward when we have the ball or hang a little back just in case. Therefore there are little options for the midfield.
6. Bottom line, we are MORE vulnerable in defence and less potent up front.
7. Its a total shambles

I can appreciate that Ross is trying to stop the shipment of goals but the solution is not by using a 5-3-2 system. He needs to look at personnel when we play 4 at the back , that's the problem, not the system .

He should have been sitting behind the goal as we were at Colchester to see where the real problems lie. He needed to see at close hand what was happening. Bottom line, where was the marking. ? Unfortunately, Widdowson had a shocker and Ling not far behind. Were ANY crosses stopped ?

Personally, id move Marvin to right back and give Ogie a go at left back. Slade moved Cuthbert there successfully. In essence Marvin has been playing there anyway nearly all season covering for Ling in no mans land. Ogie looked outstanding when i saw him play.

Its the full backs that are the weak link with four at the back, that's the problems and that's what the management team are failing to see in my opinion.

Still, we got a point ... Up the O's !
Agree with most of what you say there, especially about Ling and Widdowson not being wingbacks.
Strange that you and I and most other supporters see it exactly the same as you do, yet our highly trained coaches with so many badges etc, cannot see the obvious that is in front of their eyes. As to Marvin and Ogie playing at fullback, well would be interesting to see how it worked out but I would prefer myself to see the youngster Ogie first given a chance coming off the bench, see how he gets on in a League game then a gradual introduction into the first 11. Remember that his best position is really as a central defender. He must be given a chance soon though.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

I demand an apology for you using language like "surrender"
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Easier to say we don’t have the players for 532.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Yup likewise couldn't believe he went back to something that's yielded such poor results. We look so much better when going forward and losing a threat rather than sitting back camped on the edge of our own box.