Highlights (lowlights) are up

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Highlights (lowlights) are up

Post by gshaw »

Poor from Brill on all 3 goals
Poor from Clay in at least two of them

If this was on Premier League post-match analysis with the pundits they'd have the tactical highlighter on the lack of pressing for the first two goals. Players not putting in the effort to close down or get a challenge in.
Tom Chance
Fresh Alias

Re: Highlights (lowlights) are up

Post by Tom Chance »

Sorry Deano. Thanks for last season.
But as Paul and Harry used to say "Times up Grandad"
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Tom Chance wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 pm Sorry Deano. Thanks for last season.
But as Paul and Harry used to say "Times up Grandad"
Suspect he's still carrying the injury that caused him to miss pre-season. Doesn't look right physically in the same way Clay doesn't.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

And there was me thinking we'd regret the second year of Brill's new contract.
DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Post by DonaldRocks »

Horrible goals, Brill was like a man on time lapse for all 3 goals. What was all that delayed reactions about. It was like he was almost letting them in or had a pre match bet. The second goal, the player ran past Clay as if he wasn't there, he wasn't at the races. Midfield not pressing up. Bad day at the office for sure. 2 hard games to come, if they get anything it will be a bonus. We can't start with this formation or starting 11 again. Well done to Ross for holding his hands up but with goals like this, doesn't matter how prepared you are or what formation you put out.

Don't know if I'll watch on Quest.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Hasn't been the first time this season, think he's looked slow to get down for several goals.

It is slightly mad we extended his deal, he could be very expensive back-up next season unless we get rid of the other keeper coach and put Brill back there.

Has Ekpiteta signed a new deal yet? I thought his was up at the end of the year and we get nil for him if he runs it out. That being said the peak interest in him was probably this summer.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

The highlight for me was the uncontested drop ball that Josh Wright promptly gave back to them within 5 seconds. Impressive!
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

banqo wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:57 pm The highlight for me was the uncontested drop ball that Josh Wright promptly gave back to them within 5 seconds. Impressive!
:lol:

Maybe the ref told him to do that?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Haven’t watched them back but unfortunately saw this coming for Brill. A league keeper has to be mobile...

Re the pressing, I’m as sure as I can be without being in the pre-match team talk, that the players were told not to press. From kick off all of our players backtracked 5 yards and we only pressed when they were just outside our box.

I assume Ross was (rightly) worries about us being pulled out of position but it still happened so what we got was no pressing and players chasing their tails.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

RedO wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:06 pm
banqo wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:57 pm The highlight for me was the uncontested drop ball that Josh Wright promptly gave back to them within 5 seconds. Impressive!
:lol:

Maybe the ref told him to do that?
On today's showing I don't think he would have needed to!
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

eagwgw wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:51 pm Has Ekpiteta signed a new deal yet? I thought his was up at the end of the year and we get nil for him if he runs it out. That being said the peak interest in him was probably this summer.
Nope, I'd lump on him leaving in January if I were a betting man. The best of a bad bunch in defence today and seems to be adjusting to the league.

I reckon we'll be seeing an "undisclosed fee" from an L1 side once the transfer window opens. Will probably turn out to be something silly like £70k due to contact being up in summer.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

gshaw wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:16 pm
eagwgw wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:51 pm Has Ekpiteta signed a new deal yet? I thought his was up at the end of the year and we get nil for him if he runs it out. That being said the peak interest in him was probably this summer.
Nope, I'd lump on him leaving in January if I were a betting man. The best of a bad bunch in defence today and seems to be adjusting to the league.

I reckon we'll be seeing an "undisclosed fee" from an L1 side once the transfer window opens. Will probably turn out to be something silly like £70k due to contact being up in summer.
You do realise that fees have to be undisclosed due to league rules, right?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:08 pm Haven’t watched them back but unfortunately saw this coming for Brill. A league keeper has to be mobile...

Re the pressing, I’m as sure as I can be without being in the pre-match team talk, that the players were told not to press. From kick off all of our players backtracked 5 yards and we only pressed when they were just outside our box.

I assume Ross was (rightly) worries about us being pulled out of position but it still happened so what we got was no pressing and players chasing their tails.
It was definitely under instruction. There was a point late during the first half when it changed and Clay and the front 3 started pressing higher, again clearly per instructions.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:08 pm From kick off all of our players backtracked 5 yards and we only pressed when they were just outside our box.
Except when Wright stands 5 yards off the fella and allows him to cross on the first goal, then we let the man run the width of the pitch before the cross comes in for the second. No pressing anywhere until the change in shape come the second half.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:22 pm

As I've said before I think it's a load of b******s and the lot should be published openly as part of making finances more transparent.

Most get out one way or the other anyway, not all fees are undisclosed such as Bonne's release clause ;)
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

gshaw wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:28 pm

As I've said before I think it's a load of b******s and the lot should be published openly as part of making finances more transparent.

Most get out one way or the other anyway, not all fees are undisclosed such as Bonne's release clause ;)
But you seem to be using it as another stick to beat the Club with. Why is that, if you understand that it's due to league rules?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:34 pm
gshaw wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:28 pm

But you seem to be using it as another stick to beat the Club with. Why is that, if you understand that it's due to league rules?
Don't know when this rule came into force but we seemed to be keeping the numbers under wraps some time before it became standard practice. Usually because the fees we were getting were poor and Hearn wanted to try keep things quiet about where the money was going. Not as if we had any assets worth selling in the Beelzebub years :lol:
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Why would Hearn keep it quiet if the numbers were low?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

RedO wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:01 pm Why would Hearn keep it quiet if the numbers were low?
So we didn't know what income was when it got siphoned off elsewhere e.g. Odubajo money which was one of the few good fees along with Zakuani (that one wasted on lawyer fees that LOFT ended up doing a better job with ironically)
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

That's reason to keep it quiet when it’s high. You’re whining that Hearn kept it quiet when it was low?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

RedO wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:10 pm That's reason to keep it quiet when it’s high. You’re whining that Hearn kept it quiet when it was low?
Hearn used to flog anyone to get a few bob whether it was a good deal for the club or not on the footballing side.
P&O
Fresh Alias

Post by P&O »

The highlight for me was in the second half when we had an indirect free kick about 35 yards from the Swindon goal on the left hand side and within 15 seconds we’d lost the ball, had about 5 players pulled out of position and were watching Swindon almost get their forth.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

RedO wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:10 pm That's reason to keep it quiet when it’s high. You’re whining that Hearn kept it quiet when it was low?
Gshaw whines about a lot of things and has just found another new and pointless thing to whine about - transfer fees under Hearn. Not sure what the objective of this whining is or what it will achieve but it's definitely not very constructive.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:12 am
Gshaw whines about a lot of things and has just found another new and pointless thing to whine about - transfer fees under Hearn. Not sure what the objective of this whining is or what it will achieve but it's definitely not very constructive.
You're the one who turned two words into a sidetracked debate, nice assist :roll: