WE WILL WIN

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Redcard
Fresh Alias

WE WILL WIN

Post by Redcard »

I am going to keep the roll going and say again that if we reproduce the form against Halifax we will win against solihull . Only some desperate defending stopped us getting a hat full against Halifax.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Re: WE WILL WIN

Post by Disoriented »

Our performance yesterday against a decent team was also good.

Roll on Monday.
Jarvis
Fresh Alias

Post by Jarvis »

Keep the faith ,Salford are buying promotions we are rising from the ashes ... hard work and history over money
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Jarvis wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:25 pm Keep the faith ,Salford are buying promotions we are rising from the ashes ... hard work and history over money
I was with you until you mentioned history. We have a history of fecking it up.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

I’m already as nervous as fcuk!
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Jarvis wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:25 pm Keep the faith ,Salford are buying promotions we are rising from the ashes ... hard work and history over money
You’re aware that we made a bigger loss last season than Salford, right? A much bigger loss.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

And? Our loss was in the same league, their loss was in the league below and they have taken on much bigger salaries in this league so I’d expect their loss to be greater than ours in the next set of accounts.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

And?

Im saying it’s laughable all those Orient fans calling Salford ‘moneybags’ without any self awareness of how Orient are doing exactly the same.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:20 am
You’re aware that we made a bigger loss last season than Salford, right? A much bigger loss.
We had a club to build, they did not. Also, being in a higher league.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Promotion is worth a £1m to the club. A lot of money for a club of our size.

We probably have the 2nd highest budget. Although Kent says that our playing budget is around 3-5th in the league.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

I have not seen the accounts, but how does our income and expenditure break down? Account can be dressed up in many ways, it may be that we have cleared the decks.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Still's Carenae wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:10 am
We had a club to build, they did not. Also, being in a higher league.
They didn’t have a club to build? 😂

We also had a much higher income than them - and still do - so would have massively outspent them last season.

See what I mean about how delusional we are?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Still's Carenae wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:19 am
I have not seen the accounts, but how does our income and expenditure break down? Account can be dressed up in many ways, it may be that we have cleared the decks.
What does clear the decks mean?
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

MrB wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:11 pm I’m already as nervous as fcuk!
I'm also nervous of this one gonna watch it in a local pub , i could be 3 parts p1ssed by kick off time 🍺🍺
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:21 am
Still's Carenae wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:19 am

What does clear the decks mean?
Put all the costs you can into one year, so that the balance sheet is much clearer in the following years.

This would make sense as only 55% of turnover can be used for players budgets in League two and accounts are vetted. I do not believe that such restrictions are put on in the national league.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

BIGRON wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:44 am
I'm also nervous of this one gonna watch it in a local pub , i could be 3 parts p1ssed by kick off time 🍺🍺
I am going to hide behind the sofa 🙃.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

I will be cycling in Faro and hope to celebrate with a nice plate of sardines.
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:56 am And?

Im saying it’s laughable all those Orient fans calling Salford ‘moneybags’ without any self awareness of how Orient are doing exactly the same.
This argument really does my head in.

I refuse to believe that people can’t see how Orient and Salford are totally different cases.

It’s not the spending of money alone which makes Salford so unlikeable. It’s the fact that a bunch of smug ex-Man U millionaires and a random billionaire bought what was basically a pub team and pumped it full of cash in a long term vanity project to buy themselves a place in the football league.

I have no issue with clubs spending money. I do have issue with people taking tiny clubs with a non-existent fan base and interposing themselves into the football league.

Leyton Orient, on the other hand, had over a century of history in the football league, have a decent sized and well established fan base and are a well known club in English football. We aren’t buying our place in the league in the same manner as Salford, we are trying to retain a place where we have spent the vast majority of our history.

So yes, both clubs spend a lot of money relative to other teams in this league, but to claim that Orient are no different to Salford is just insulting.

I also noticed from browsing social media that popular opinion amongst neutrals is that they’d much rather see Orient return to the football league rather than Salford. Mainly for the reasons I just explained.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

A random billionaire buying a non-league team, pumping it full of cash in a bid to buy a place in the football league, you say?

No, I can’t see any parallels. 😂
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:28 am A random billionaire buying a non-league team, pumping it full of cash in a bid to buy a place in the football league, you say?

No, I can’t see any parallels. 😂
You conveniently leave out everything I said about Orient’s over a century of history in the football league for your sarcastic comment.

Is it really that difficult to understand the difference between Orient and Salford?

Oh, and Teague isn’t a billionaire.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

So your argument is that we deserve to go up ahead them because of our history and our bigger fan base? I detested that sort of attitude from the likes of Leeds fans when we were in L1 and this is exactly the same.

Solihull are the only ones who can win the title and claim not to have bought it.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

So am I .
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Constanza wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:15 am I will be cycling in Faro and hope to celebrate with a nice plate of sardines.
I will be cycling home from work and on that day I will be Bradley Wiggins.No red light jumping,though.Not that I do anyway.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:56 am And?

When was the last time we spent £750.000 on one player ?
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 am So your argument is that we deserve to go up ahead them because of our history and our bigger fan base? I detested that sort of attitude from the likes of Leeds fans when we were in L1 and this is exactly the same.

Solihull are the only ones who can win the title and claim not to have bought it.
No, I did not say that we “deserve” to go up. Nor did I say that Salford don’t “deserve” to go up. Nobody “deserves” anything in football. Your attempt to portray my position as one of arrogance is very unfair as I never actually said anything of the sort.

My point is very simple. You cannot lump Salford and Orient into the same catergory simply because they spend a lot of money in relative terms.

Orient are an established club, it’s not at all unusual, or surprising that a club which averages attenedances comparable with one or even two divisions above will be financially sound in comparison to clubs who struggle to get 1000 people turning up for a home game. In relative terms, at this level, Orient are a big club. Of course they will be amongst the top spenders in the division.

Salford, were practically a pub team a decade ago. The club is nothing more than a vanity project for ex-united players. I just think it’s sad that clubs with a non-existent fan base can buy themselves from complete obscurity to the football league.

For context, if Wrexham were bought out and started flashing the cash then I wouldn’t be all that bothered. Same for the likes of Stockport, Chesterfield and probably Hartlepool. Teams who have history in the football league and established fan bases. Their reinstatement to the football league would be a benefit. However, I fail to see how the likes of Salford being in the football league is a benefit to anyone apart from the millionaires who own it and the United/City fans who go to Salford games.

At the end of the day the team with the most points at the end of the season “deserve” to go up. But that doesn’t mean that I have to respect the likes of Salford. I’d much rather see any other team in the top 5 go up rather than Salford.