Bletchley Park Museum

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

spen666
Regular
Regular

Bletchley Park Museum

Post by spen666 »

I have been fortunate enough to spend today at the Museum.

As most will know Bletchley Park was where the British cracked the German Enigma Code.Many of you will know about Alan Turing.

The museum is a fantastic place and tells an incredible story of incredible works by some of the finest brains this country has produced.

The museum provide a fantastic digital media guide as part of the admission cost.

Learning today so much more about the people who worked here & the incredible work they did, it's a shame the full story isn't better known.

The women & men who served here in the last war remain unsung heroes.

It's worth spending a day to visit.

https://bletchleypark.org.uk/
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Re: Bletchley Park Museum

Post by EastDerehamO »

Visited about 3 years ago. Yes it’s a fascinating place, and some of the huts feel like they are pretty much as they were during wartime. What a place to have worked – and then having to keep quiet about it too. Not all wars are won entirely in the battles.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

Many of the books written shortly after WWII omitted the role played by Bletchley Park. Either because they were ignorant of all the facts or were stopped by the Official Secrets Act. Monty had intelligence reports of the Panzers etc at Arnhem but chose to ignore the information. Even more bizarrely the RAF had to allow a certain amount of convoys reach Rommel in North Africa or the Nazi's would have smelt a rat
Last edited by Clive Evans on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

Isn't it nice when Spen 69 goes into sensible mode?
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

West Side Story wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:28 pm Isn't it nice when Spen 69 goes into sensible mode?
Underneath it all he is good guy.
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

spen666 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 pm I have been fortunate enough to spend today at the Museum.

As most will know Bletchley Park was where the British cracked the German Enigma Code.Many of you will know about Alan Turing.

The museum is a fantastic place and tells an incredible story of incredible works by some of the finest brains this country has produced.

The museum provide a fantastic digital media guide as part of the admission cost.

Learning today so much more about the people who worked here & the incredible work they did, it's a shame the full story isn't better known.

I completely agree, apart from "it's a shame the full story isn't better known".

I think it is pretty well known. Wasn't there even a film recently about Alan Turing?
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

bobo66:- People do know about the work, but films such as The Longest Day, The Dam Busters, A Bridge Too Far etc are based on books that never mentioned Bletchley Park, yet their work was immensely important in these operations.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

bobo66 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:14 pm
spen666 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 pm I have been fortunate enough to spend today at the Museum.

I completely agree, apart from "it's a shame the full story isn't better known".

I think it is pretty well known. Wasn't there even a film recently about Alan Turing?

People may have an idea of existence of Bletchley Park, but not the full story of the incredible contribution they made to the War effort. Alan Turing was only a tiny part of it. There is so much more than him to the story
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

West Side Story wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 pm Many of the books written shortly after WWII omitted the role played by Bletchley Park. Either because they were ignorant of all the facts or were stopped by the Official Secrets Act. Monty had intelligence reports of the Panzers etc at Arnhem but chose to ignore the information. Even more bizarrely the RAF had to allow a certain amount of convoys reach Rommel in North Africa or the Nazi's would have smelt a rat
Had Monty acted on the intelligence my great uncle might not have met his end outside Eindhoven. Operation Market Garden was his worst mistake of the war.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:03 pm
West Side Story wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 pm Many of the books written shortly after WWII omitted the role played by Bletchley Park. Either because they were ignorant of all the facts or were stopped by the Official Secrets Act. Monty had intelligence reports of the Panzers etc at Arnhem but chose to ignore the information. Even more bizarrely the RAF had to allow a certain amount of convoys reach Rommel in North Africa or the Nazi's would have smelt a rat
Had Monty acted on the intelligence my great uncle might not have met his end outside Eindhoven. Operation Market Garden was his worst mistake of the war.
Well put. It is incredible that in 2019, Monty is still held up as some sort of tactical genius. The truth was the opposite.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

He beat Wommel.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:09 pm He beat Wommel.
Really? I thought it was the bravery of the squaddies who did that. Not sure if Monty actually fired a shot at jerry.
Engine Me
Fresh Alias

Post by Engine Me »

Disoriented wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:18 pm
Really? I thought it was the bravery of the squaddies who did that. Not sure if Monty actually fired a shot at jerry.
In which case you do a disservice to all who worked at Bletchley Park too. They never fired a shot at Jerry either. It took all types to win the War.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

Not so long ago I read a book about Garbo, a lot of it was written by himself. Bletchley was used to see how much disinformation was being swallowed by the Krauts. They fell for his lies hook line and sinker. In fact lots of Garbo's ( fictitious ) agents were awarded gongs by the Nazis. One of the strangest things was the effort Garbo went to, to be a British double Agent
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Engine Me wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:41 pm
Disoriented wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:18 pm
In which case you do a disservice to all who worked at Bletchley Park too. They never fired a shot at Jerry either. It took all types to win the War.
I am not questioning that at all - it is the lionising of Monty which is disingenuous.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Disingenuous my a--e. Calm down, it was a bit tongue in cheek anyway. I was pointing out Montgomerys lithp.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Been there and I agree it is a great place - good to take older kids.
LeytonstoneRed07 M
Fresh Alias

Post by LeytonstoneRed07 M »

My dad worked at Bletchley Park as a radio operator. It's where he met my mum. She worked there too. Haven't been there for years
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Much of the information was not allowed out until the 90's.

Some was released in books. Gordon Welshman's, Hut 6, published in 1980, gave some info on how emigma worked and Bletchley Park. However, the first edition has a chapter that was deleted in future editions, as it showed American military weakness. He was fired by the American authorities and hounded until he died. The most interesting thing is that he designed and implemented the first internet for the US military in the 1960's.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

A shame that due to petty squabbles caused by the Bletchley Park Trust the actual (working) machines that are only a few blocks away in The National Museum of Computing are separated from the public by large metal fences, as if Bletchley are trying to avoid people even knowing they're there.

Nice grounds and with the lottery funding it's got a lot more polished to look at as a museum. Sadly it's lost the live demos of the code cracking machines in action, which is surely the whole point of the place :?