Ratings

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Ratings

Post by gshaw »

Still struggling to find a better word than "meh" to sum up the game today. No goals against an awful opposition isn't much to write home about.

Brill - 7 - extra point for gaining us a point with his vital save at the end
Ling - 6 - OK defensively, can't cross
Happe - 6 - solid enough
Coulson - 5 - not quite as solid as usual, sloppy mistake led to the overruled penalty
Ekpiteta - 6 - up against a carthorse with the Stevenage #28, looked knackered by the end though
Widdowson - 6 - would be a 7 for defending but 5 for attacking. Needs someone in front of him to give the ball to.
Clay - 5 - off day for him, didn't look fit
Wright - 6 - didn't waste a pass but equally needs a bit more physical presence alongside him
Brophy - 6 - gets an 8 for skills and dribbling but a 3 for crossing and that's being generous
Angol - 6 - nice feet but not much goal threat
Wilkinson - 5 - as above without the fancy footwork

Dennis - 5 - didn't do much
Gorman - 6 - one good shot one poor shot
Harrold - n/a - didn't have long enough to make any meaningful impact

Overall just too safe and too nice, which I think is in the image of Ross to some extent. Need to find some goal threat if we want to avoid battling at the wrong end of the table.
HavantO
Fresh Alias

Re: Ratings

Post by HavantO »

Uninspiring I would say. Hard to get depressed. Hard to get excited. Going to be a long old season if that’s anything to go by
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

After Brill licking every single ball upfield for the last 2 years its refreshing to see us trying to play the ball out from the back.

Obviously rusty at that, but I'm prepared to show some patience. We do need to move the ball around more quickly though.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

We absolutely controlled the game but Stevenage expected that. They sat deep a knew we would struggled to break them down. Clay and Wright are so similar and we just didn’t have someone in there who could create a real chance out of nothing.
They were there for the taking. Imo the subs were wrong and too late.

If anyone again questions why we need a new 3rd choice striker that can score and not just bully defenders, this game is exhibit A.

Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll see worse sides for BR this season. Didn’t enjoy one minute of it unfortunately :(

Brill - 7 - good saves at the start and end of the game, albeit ones he’d expect to make. Distribution was much faster and half decent. Didn’t have a thing to do for 85 mins though.

Ling - 5 - not tested much defensively. Played in one excellent cross but that’s the issue. About 10 chances to cross and one was good.
Ekpiteta- 6 - looked close to his former self, calm and collected.
Coulson - 5 - positionally a bit at sea one or two times but a pretty easy day.
Happe - 5 - we didn’t get punished but a couple of time he lost his man and/or miss judged a long ball. He’s struggled this year imo.
Widdowson- 5 - solid as expected. Showed nothing going forward.

Clay - 4 - lightweight in the tackle, no attacking threat. Either he was out last night or injured.
Wright - 6 - thought he had a half decent game. Passing was accurate.
Brophy - 7 - tore them apart first half and for the first time this season, he helped us get up pitch by carrying the ball. But for all the flashy runs, he created very little with his final ball.

Wilkinson - 5 - has got to do more if he wants to keep his place. Put the work in and had one good shot saved. Will have to see it back but thought he had an easy chance in the last 5 mins from the 6 yard line and fluffed it.
Angol - 6 - came deep to pick it up but Stevenage we’re happy for him to have it there. No goal threat at all.

Subs:
Gorman - 4 - wrong sub but had a decent shot near the end. Completely bottled two tackles in injury time, not good enough.
Dennis - 3 - just when we needed an impact sub he was nowhere near the game. Massively disappointing so far.
Harrold - na

Ross - 5 - didn’t mind the starting xi but needs to make subs qualifier. We needed one after about 50 mins. Putting Gorman on for Clay instead of JMD was also a mistake and too negative.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Some of those marks are a tad harsh. Ling was better than average, some nice touch’s but when will he ever be positive when in a good position. Always looking to duck responsibility. Widdowson was decent, had a go and defended well. Thought Brophy had a good game, our best player. Nobody particularly bad. Nobody particularly great. No one to stick the ball away. A real worry
Rambling Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Rambling Man »

Enough of an O's fan to be quietly pleased we didn't lose 1-0. Not enough quality into the box and the pace of the build-up play allowed them to get men back behind the ball.
HavantO
Fresh Alias

Post by HavantO »

Can’t see attendances being maintained all season if that’s what we can expect to see. Played well enough but absolutely zero goal threat
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Brill - 7
Ling - 6
Happe - 6
Coulson - 5
Ekpiteta - 6
Widdowson - 6
Clay - 5
Wright - 6
Brophy - 7
Angol - 6
Wilkinson -6

Dennis - 5
Gorman - 6
Harrold - 6

Thought we played well enough today we just didn't create a huge amount and the chances we did create we wasted. Thought Ling had some excellent touches today and really looked the part and won lots of headers in attacking positions which is good to see. Coulson had a real off-day, especially in possession. Happe looked worryingly poor on the ball at times as well. Clay had an off day but still looked to be positive which is good to see. Brophy was outstanding until the final ball. Wilkinson worked hard and did okay I though. Angol needs a goal then we will see him score plenty I hope. Gorman did well when he came on and justified his introduction to a fair extent. Dennis didn't really get into the game again which is a shame.

Not too worried about the result or performance, but our final ball as a team has been poor so far this season and we really need to start creating chances more regularly.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:11 pm We absolutely controlled the game but Stevenage expected that. They sat deep a knew we would struggled to break them down. Clay and Wright are so similar and we just didn’t have someone in there who could create a real chance out of nothing.
They were there for the taking. Imo the subs were wrong and too late.

If anyone again questions why we need a new 3rd choice striker that can score and not just bully defenders, this game is exhibit A.

Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll see worse sides for BR this season. Didn’t enjoy one minute of it unfortunately :(

Brill - 7 - good saves at the start and end of the game, albeit ones he’d expect to make. Distribution was much faster and half decent. Didn’t have a thing to do for 85 mins though.

Ling - 5 - not tested much defensively. Played in one excellent cross but that’s the issue. About 10 chances to cross and one was good.
Ekpiteta- 6 - looked close to his former self, calm and collected.
Coulson - 5 - positionally a bit at sea one or two times but a pretty easy day.
Happe - 5 - we didn’t get punished but a couple of time he lost his man and/or miss judged a long ball. He’s struggled this year imo.
Widdowson- 5 - solid as expected. Showed nothing going forward.

Clay - 4 - lightweight in the tackle, no attacking threat. Either he was out last night or injured.
Wright - 6 - thought he had a half decent game. Passing was accurate.
Brophy - 7 - tore them apart first half and for the first time this season, he helped us get up pitch by carrying the ball. But for all the flashy runs, he created very little with his final ball.

Wilkinson - 5 - has got to do more if he wants to keep his place. Put the work in and had one good shot saved. Will have to see it back but thought he had an easy chance in the last 5 mins from the 6 yard line and fluffed it.
Angol - 6 - came deep to pick it up but Stevenage we’re happy for him to have it there. No goal threat at all.

Subs:
Gorman - 4 - wrong sub but had a decent shot near the end. Completely bottled two tackles in injury time, not good enough.
Dennis - 3 - just when we needed an impact sub he was nowhere near the game. Massively disappointing so far.
Harrold - na

Ross - 5 - didn’t mind the starting xi but needs to make subs qualifier. We needed one after about 50 mins. Putting Gorman on for Clay instead of JMD was also a mistake and too negative.
I'm sorry but those ratings are well off. Unbelievably harsh on Ling, Widdowson, Gorman and Dennis.

I'm don't really see why this game would justify your point about another striker. They need the service to be able to score, and I don't think they were 'bullied' at all today. The strikers did fine today. In any case, if they could score, they would probably be 1st choice right now.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Where did I say we got bullied?

Dunno what you saw Dennis do to say I was harsh but each to their own.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Red_Army wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm
I'm don't really see why this game would justify your point about another striker. They need the service to be able to score, and I don't think they were 'bullied' at all today. The strikers did fine today. In any case, if they could score, they would probably be 1st choice right now.
The strikers scored 0 goals, nothing to be particularly pleased about from their perspective.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:50 pm Where did I say we got bullied?

Misread the bully bit. You gave him a 3, I think that's harsh.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

gshaw wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:53 pm
Red_Army wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm
The strikers scored 0 goals, nothing to be particularly pleased about from their perspective.
They can put in fair performances without scoring. They had once chance each really, 5 seconds apart. They did fine in my opinion and are not where the reason we didn't score today lies.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Red_Army wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:59 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:50 pm Where did I say we got bullied?

Misread the bully bit. You gave him a 3, I think that's harsh.
Tbf it wasn’t necessarily his performance, of lack thereof, but more the situation. At that point in the game, 0-0 at home, you want your striker to come on and affect the game, create chances, run at defenders. Imo he is nowhere near fit and did nothing like what was required today.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

HavantO wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:32 pm Can’t see attendances being maintained all season if that’s what we can expect to see. Played well enough but absolutely zero goal threat
Zero goal threat? Can`t agree with that.

We had 9 shots on goal. More than the first two games put together. Angol, Wright and Wilkinson missed big chances. We should have won 3-0.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Long was probably our second best player behind brophy who faded out in the last 1/4 of the game.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Most of his crosses were Long as well
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

Stevenage were poor and we were far too pedestrian at times, but we were unlucky not to win. Brophy and Happe were excellent first half I thought, but Brophy faded.

Coulson and Clay poor today and after a quiet first half Wright came into it a bit more and played some nice passes.

Wilkinson and Angol good with the ball at their feet but both missed good chances to score. Angol with a header in the first half Bonne would've scored and then in the 2nd half his rebound to Wilkinson's effort after he cut in.

Brill - 6
Ling - 6
Ekpiteta - 6
Coulson - 5
Happe - 7
Widdowson - 7
Clay - 4
Wright - 6
Brophy - 8
Wilkinson - 6
Angol - 6

Subs were also very disappointing as others have said. They were also made far too late, Harrold would have been a good option to come on earlier - but we lack quality on the bench anyway which needs adressing.
LOFC1948
Fresh Alias

Post by LOFC1948 »

We lacked that bit of quality and composure in the final third. The two new men up front show some nice touches but are not yet looking like a duo that will score us many goals. One goal in four games is getting a bit concerning.
Based on today’s performance lack of goals is going to cost us this season.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

Brill 7
Ling 7
Widdowson 6
Ekpiteta 6
Coulson 6
Happe 5
Clay 6
Wright 5
Brophy 7.5
Angol 6
Wilkinson 5

Gorman 6
Dennis 5
Harrold 5

Not brilliant, not terrible but definitely room for improvement. Still believe in Ross & the boys
Delamod
Fresh Alias

Post by Delamod »

I think Angol is probably a more gifted player than Bonne, not convinced he’s a better goal scorer though.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

He just needs better service. I thought Angol played well.
Tom Chance
Fresh Alias

Post by Tom Chance »

RicketyCricket wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:59 pm Stevenage were poor and we were far too pedestrian at times, but we were unlucky not to win. Brophy and Happe were excellent first half I thought, but Brophy faded.

Coulson and Clay poor today and after a quiet first half Wright came into it a bit more and played some nice passes.

Wilkinson and Angol good with the ball at their feet but both missed good chances to score. Angol with a header in the first half Bonne would've scored and then in the 2nd half his rebound to Wilkinson's effort after he cut in.

Brill - 6
Ling - 6
Ekpiteta - 6
Coulson - 5
Happe - 7
Widdowson - 7
Clay - 4
Wright - 6
Brophy - 8
Wilkinson - 6
Angol - 6

Subs were also very disappointing as others have said. They were also made far too late, Harrold would have been a good option to come on earlier - but we lack quality on the bench anyway which needs adressing.
What on earth did Widdowson do to deserve a 7. Everytime he's involved in an attack you just know nothing will come of it.
At least Ling took it on his chest a couple of times and went forwards with it.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Happe 7 ? nearer a 5 for me
WGC O
Fresh Alias

Post by WGC O »

not too bad a performance...just can't find that final touch... created a lot ...which is encouraging.... to be fair they did play the majority of the game against a 17 year old defender making his league debut ...so maybe should have made more of that situation.