So who did we actually replace El Miz with?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

So who did we actually replace El Miz with?

Post by The Reverend »

The most important player in the squad for the past two seasons, and whilst it was never going to be possible to find a like for like replacement have we replaced him with anyone even a fraction as good?

I thought this Warrington kid was supposed to be his replacement but the guy can’t even get into the starting line up of a pointless match against a youth team.

Obiero? A monumental risk replacing the best player in our squad with a developing youth team product.

Perkins and Donley? This pair are attacking players, right?

So have we honestly not replaced El Miz at all? Absolutely unforgivable transfer window.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: So who did we actually replace El Miz with?

Post by DrWindy »

As we all know, El Miz was just relentless. Energy and tenacity all over the field. We don’t have a similar player in the squad and our midfield is much poorer for it.

Of course replacing him is easier said than done.
Norlington Road
Fresh Alias

Post by Norlington Road »

He was our engine room , not easy to replace
Norlington Road
Fresh Alias

Post by Norlington Road »

I thought Warrington was the replacement ?
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Not sure if we were oversold on Warrington or if we've ballsed up the recruitment.

None of the new recruits have the energy and drive in the 8 role to replace El Miz. The thinking must have been that would come internally - Brown being played further forward (replaced by Warrington at 4), Obeiro, Galbraith etc.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Norlington Road wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:33 am He was our engine room , not easy to replace
I’m not saying we could replace him like for like (unless we got extraordinary lucky with another loan) but I genuinely can’t figure out who is supposed to even attempt to fill the gap he left.

Surely it’s this Warrington bloke? But the guy can’t get in the starting line up. That’s a spectacular balls up in recruitment if so.

I’d be fuming if I were Wellens. He has been properly stitched up here.

The GK situation, as dire at it is, I can at least understand. Hemming was supposed to replace Brynn but he’s just rubbish. Again it’s poor recruitment but at least there is some logic behind it.
Last edited by The Reverend on Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Warrington is, by all accounts, a 4. So no.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Some seem to think Brown would be the (internal) replacement but he's nowhere near the same quality as El Miz and struggling without him there cleaning up the loose balls and sniffing out danger.

Although there was talk of El Miz playing further forward last season his best work was still that defensive side, which we badly miss. Add to that the other senior pro departures in midfield and Pratley aside there's no experience left.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

Brown is a plodder, got abuse for it at the time but he totally and utterly is, Miz was the class in that duo
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

El miz is a championship player. To get that in league one you have to pay and we ain’t paying.

Saying that, Warrington has had injuries and we’ve not seen him to write him off yet. Big boots to fill though and realistically el miz was the reason we did so well last year
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 7:20 pm Saying that, Warrington has had injuries and we’ve not seen him to write him off yet. Big boots to fill though and realistically el miz was the reason we did so well last year
That's really amateurish recruitment though if they know Warrington hasn't played for 8 months and can't come straight in who's meant to hold midfield together in the meantime? Richie didn't get the experienced CM he asked for, with Sanders and Moncur both leaving too.

Seems like it's all going to rest on Pratley for now, might have to over-use him in the short-term to buy enough time for others to get up to speed.
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

Have none you been keeping your eye on Obiero, might be young and still abit raw, but the guy has been all over the pitch trying to stop the opposition and has even got forward a few times.

He's as close to Idris as we are going to get.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

gshaw wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:33 pm Some seem to think Brown would be the (internal) replacement but he's nowhere near the same quality as El Miz and struggling without him there cleaning up the loose balls and sniffing out danger.
There’s no other explanation.

I’m not suggesting Brown is as good as El Miz - he isn’t - but he is a perfectly serviceable L1 midfielder, is still young and is still improving season on season.

I guess it was hoped that we could improve the other midfield spots - for 8 and 10 Galbraith / Obeiro / Donkey / ONeill > Moncur / Sanders / Ruel, and at 4 Warrington > Brown, but it hasn’t worked that way.

Saying that, I don’t think midfield is our problem area, despite the obvious lack of experience.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

gshaw wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 7:45 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 7:20 pm Saying that, Warrington has had injuries and we’ve not seen him to write him off yet. Big boots to fill though and realistically el miz was the reason we did so well last year
That's really amateurish recruitment though if they know Warrington hasn't played for 8 months and can't come straight in who's meant to hold midfield together in the meantime? Richie didn't get the experienced CM he asked for, with Sanders and Moncur both leaving too.

Seems like it's all going to rest on Pratley for now, might have to over-use him in the short-term to buy enough time for others to get up to speed.
In the meantime you mean 5-6 games?

Patience
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 7:20 pm El miz is a championship player. To get that in league one you have to pay and we ain’t paying.

Saying that, Warrington has had injuries and we’ve not seen him to write him off yet. Big boots to fill though and realistically el miz was the reason we did so well last year
El-Miz cost Oxford £400,000. I know that's a lot of money but El Miz has left such a big hole in the team I'm wondering if we should have just paid Ipswich's asking price . The trouble is now how much would relegation cost the club in lost revenue if we go down . Good luck with putting up season ticket prices next season if we find ourselves back in League Two . As the old saying goes " Going cheap can be more expensive in the long run "
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Fellowo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:56 pm Have none you been keeping your eye on Obiero, might be young and still abit raw, but the guy has been all over the pitch trying to stop the opposition and has even got forward a few times.

He's as close to Idris as we are going to get.
I'm fast becoming a big fan of Obiero's . If he carry's on the way he's going he's going to be some player . I think he's definitely destined to play at a higher level than League One .
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:26 pm

Patience
Until January when we can get a senior pro signed.

There is no time for patience when you're rock bottom with 0 points, unless you want to be aiming for a top 3 finish... of the bottom 8
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:05 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 7:20 pm El miz is a championship player. To get that in league one you have to pay and we ain’t paying.

El-Miz cost Oxford £400,000. I know that's a lot of money but El Miz has left such a big hole in the team I'm wondering if we should have just paid Ipswich's asking price . The trouble is now how much would relegation cost the club in lost revenue if we go down . Good luck with putting up season ticket prices next season if we find ourselves back in League Two . As the old saying goes " Going cheap can be more expensive in the long run "
His new wages would have been a bigger stumbling block than the £400k transfer fee. That and the fact he would presumably rather play Championship football than L1.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Shaq Forde was an important player for us, too.
Lifelongfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Lifelongfan »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:55 am
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:05 pm

His new wages would have been a bigger stumbling block than the £400k transfer fee. That and the fact he would presumably rather play Championship football than L1.
Probably on say £8000 plus so unaffordable
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

gshaw wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:25 am

Patience

There is no time for patience when you're rock bottom with 0 points, unless you want to be aiming for a top 3 finish... of the bottom 8
To be honest I'd be happy to finish anywhere this season but the bottom four . Therefore a top 3 finish of the bottom 8 would be enough for me . We've had all Summer to sign that senior pro you're talking about but it didn't happen . What makes you think it will happen in January ?
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:59 am Shaq Forde was an important player for us, too.
As was Ruel Sotiriou , our top goal scorer . It's already looking like we're going to really miss all three this season .
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Patience

Who said we are aiming for a top 3 finish.

Again, this anger is all because there is a massive disconnect between fans expectations this season and the club. The budget reflects that
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

The Reverend wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:08 am
Norlington Road wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:33 am He was our engine room , not easy to replace
I’m not saying we could replace him like for like (unless we got extraordinary lucky with another loan) but I genuinely can’t figure out who is supposed to even attempt to fill the gap he left.

Surely it’s this Warrington bloke? But the guy can’t get in the starting line up. That’s a spectacular balls up in recruitment if so.

I’d be fuming if I were Wellens. He has been properly stitched up here.

The GK situation, as dire at it is, I can at least understand. Hemming was supposed to replace Brynn but he’s just rubbish. Again it’s poor recruitment but at least there is some logic behind it.
How can Wellens be stitched up when he is an integral part of the recruitment team. Every decision goes to and through him. If you think there is a "spectacular balls up" in recruitment then Wellens is responsible too.

Its a sh*t start and I doubt it will get much better through this month - but we are not even 10% through the season.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:47 pm

Patience

Who said we are aiming for a top 3 finish.

Again, this anger is all because there is a massive disconnect between fans expectations this season and the club. The budget reflects that
The budget is 10% higher than last year. And that was whilst carrying full salaries for Moncur, Piggot and Edwards/Adu-Adjei rather than a proper footballer.