Times up Nigel

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Mightynewsman
Fresh Alias

Times up Nigel

Post by Mightynewsman »

Lovely guy done a good job but time to sell up, with clubs like burton and Wycombe getting billionare takeovers we should be as well, yes we had one before but things have changed now. London club lots of potential, can build a new stadium and training complex this club can do a Bournemouth.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Times up Nigel

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

If we had a half decent keeper in goal we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

It is mission accomplished by getting us back to league one. A new stadium would really be the icing on the cake.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Long slender neck wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:50 pm It is mission accomplished by getting us back to league one. A new stadium would really be the icing on the cake.
Having got back to League One it would be nice to stay there .
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

I suspect Nigel would agree. The right deal would see him OFF I’m sure.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

I like NT. He’s done a lot for this club and created a culture I think we can be proud of. Let’s lay off the guy and be careful what you wish for.
MassiveForehead
Fresh Alias

Post by MassiveForehead »

DrWindy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:48 am I like NT. He’s done a lot for this club and created a culture I think we can be proud of. Let’s lay off the guy and be careful what you wish for.
Remember, we did have a guy who was going to petrify West Ham who was worth half a billion turn up at the Orient once.

Wonder how that went.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Long slender neck wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:50 pm It is mission accomplished by getting us back to league one. A new stadium would really be the icing on the cake.
Having trouble filling our current stadium
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I think he’s making some strange decisions recently and we should be questioning and challenging but there’s a ton of rich nutters out there (as we know).
Calling for his head might make him make some rash decisions about the future of this club
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

The icing on the cake would be promotion to the Championship but unfortunately Solar panels,refurbishments and ridiculous game prices seem to be the clubs priority .
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Mightynewsman wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:39 pm Lovely guy done a good job but time to sell up, with clubs like burton and Wycombe getting billionare takeovers we should be as well, yes we had one before but things have changed now. London club lots of potential, can build a new stadium and training complex this club can do a Bournemouth.
A decade ago we thought we'd got an owner that was worth half a billion. Be very careful what you wish for. Besides how many billionaires want a football club like ours? We are basically assetless - with the intangible being our location. Personally I'd be more worried about running our of investment funds than running around looking for a billionaire type.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

No more “time’s up” posts, please. Let us see where we are in a couple of months. I for one, am happy with both manager and owners..
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:07 am I think he’s making some strange decisions recently and we should be questioning and challenging but there’s a ton of rich nutters out there (as we know).
Calling for his head might make him make some rash decisions about the future of this club
Kent seemed to "get it" more than you'd expect American investors to. However, he's reduced his financial commitment to the club and hence some of his control. It seems that the new backers are more in the usual mould of American entrepreneurs i.e. this is how we do it in the US - take it or leave it.

Nigel is the titular head but he has to listen to the money men.

Those wishing for Nigel to move on - I can only imaging it's to grab attention for themselves, are they really that stupid - need to consider why any other investors/owners would behave differently. Wrexham is a bit of a one-off but, as mentioned elsewhere, there aren't that many billionaires prepared to splurge their money on small football clubs.
Mightynewsman
Fresh Alias

Post by Mightynewsman »

LittleMate wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:01 pm
Mightynewsman wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:39 pm Lovely guy done a good job but time to sell up, with clubs like burton and Wycombe getting billionare takeovers we should be as well, yes we had one before but things have changed now. London club lots of potential, can build a new stadium and training complex this club can do a Bournemouth.
A decade ago we thought we'd got an owner that was worth half a billion. Be very careful what you wish for. Besides how many billionaires want a football club like ours? We are basically assetless - with the intangible being our location. Personally I'd be more worried about running our of investment funds than running around looking for a billionaire type.
Wycombe and burton got billionare owners so that’s how clubs like ours get purchased
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Cheshunto wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:13 am
But it doesn't work like that.... a new stadium for a London club (and I don't want to leave Brisbane road, by the way ) shows ambition and generates interest from other football fans, especially if results are going well. Tickets are easier to sell to outsiders, it's a gradual build up of a fan base. Saying we don't get the crowds now so we may as well just jog along as we are is a negative approach. That's how Hearn duped the club into thinking this way. He then made as many pounds as he could out of us and then pissed off.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

DrWindy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:48 am I like NT. He’s done a lot for this club and created a culture I think we can be proud of. Let’s lay off the guy and be careful what you wish for.
Exactly . Look what happened when Beelzebub took over so be careful what you wish for . Personally I hope Nigel , Kent and the rest of the current board stay for many more years to come . It's disappointing we haven't been able to compete with other clubs in the transfer market this Summer but I feel the club is in safe hands . That's the most important thing to me .
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:11 pm
Cheshunto wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:13 am
But it doesn't work like that.... a new stadium for a London club (and I don't want to leave Brisbane road, by the way ) shows ambition and generates interest from other football fans, especially if results are going well. Tickets are easier to sell to outsiders, it's a gradual build up of a fan base. Saying we don't get the crowds now so we may as well just jog along as we are is a negative approach. That's how Hearn duped the club into thinking this way. He then made as many pounds as he could out of us and then pissed off.
💯👍
North Stand Dave
Fresh Alias

Post by North Stand Dave »

Another attention seeking opening post by someone who has clearly not been supporting our club long.
As Littlemate rightly put looked what happened before with Benshitti took over.
Mightynewsman would of only been six then so he would have no memory of this.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Mightynewsman wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:05 pm
LittleMate wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:01 pm
Wycombe and burton got billionare owners so that’s how clubs like ours get purchased
It is too early in their journey's to judge how that is going to go. I didn't know about Burton but I've not heard noises about them building a championship squad or 20,000 seater stadiums. I'm sure Wycombe's owner will have a go but I'd imagine Adams Park has the same sort of issues as Brisbane Road. In terms of having the funds they may be ahead of us, so it could be interesting to just see how it plays out.

FWIW our board are committed to developing a larger stadium. Its essential under new spending rules that are coming in. Kent told me personally (I happened to spend an hour with him at the Hearts game as he stood with me) that spending will be directly tied to ground size and that consigns us to L1/L2 status. Therefore they want a 15-16k stadium will room for expansion and will be seeking funding to do that as the funds are not presently at the club. They also want championship football but again need a sponsor as the smallest loss in the championship was something like £8m and the average was c.£20m.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Unfortunately, Barry Hearne has buggered this club from top to bottom and their lies your problem.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Monkey Boy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:33 am Unfortunately, Barry Hearne has buggered this club from top to bottom and their lies your problem.
I didn't think so at the time but looking back now I have to agree with you .
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Monkey Boy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:33 am Unfortunately, Barry Hearne has buggered this club from top to bottom and their lies your problem.
The flats were a short term solution to Orients needs but a long term problem - whilst Hearn benefitted massively - both in getting paid back his investment and getting future income from it.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

I’ve always been 50/50 re Bazza. I mean how many of us thought we’d be selling 8-9k tickets every week in L1? A pushing 10k capacity seemed absolutely fine other than for the odd cup match once every 5-10 years.
True, it’s come back to bite us in the ar*e now, but it was hard to forecast at the time.
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

What happened last time a billionnaire bought the club?!
DaveDunmore
Fresh Alias

Post by DaveDunmore »

SHORT MEMORY half a cup is better then none at all