Low gate (not tickets sold) on Saturday

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

LPE
Fresh Alias

Low gate (not tickets sold) on Saturday

Post by LPE »

Huge amount of empty seats left ahead of Saturday which I can’t see being shifted due to BH weekend, lots of people still away, £32 adult tickets and having to have an existing account so no casual fans able to buy tickets.

Such a shame as should be an electric atmosphere against the biggest club in the division.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Low gate (not tickets sold) on Saturday

Post by PoundhillO »

LPE wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:42 pm Huge amount of empty seats left ahead of Saturday which I can’t see being shifted due to BH weekend, lots of people still away, £32 adult tickets and having to have an existing account so no casual fans able to buy tickets.

Such a shame as should be an electric atmosphere against the biggest club in the division.
Ticket prices too much.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

£32 before transport, then food, drink etc, you can watch ahem online for free basically too
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

One of my mates wanted to come along with his 6 year old, so I said try the family stand, but it was £40 for 1 adult and 1 child ticket, plus food and transport, so basically he said “No, it’s too much”
It’s not just the tickets, it’s the total of everything.

And some say we need a bigger stadium…….not at these prices.

The club may consider giving the away club a bigger allocation to fill the stadium.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Reap what you sow
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Cheshunto wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:56 pm One of my mates wanted to come along with his 6 year old, so I said try the family stand, but it was £40 for 1 adult and 1 child ticket, plus food and transport, so basically he said “No, it’s too much”
It’s not just the tickets, it’s the total of everything.

And some say we need a bigger stadium…….not at these prices.

The club may consider giving the away club a bigger allocation to fill the stadium.
If we had a bigger stadium we would not have to maximise prices they way we have to with limited capacity. In a 20k stadium prices could be roughly £22.98.

Of course to fill a bigger stadium we would need to get good at football and we all know that's not going to happen any time soon.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Bet the club are gutted arguably the two biggest sides at home are both in august when people are on holiday.

Agree with the sentiment though. I couldn’t go to this originally but now I can. With train fare it’s £60 before I’ve watched the game. It’s too much for any league one side. I’ll wait for one of the cheaper games where we won’t be well beaten…
MassiveForehead
Fresh Alias

Post by MassiveForehead »

Ticket prices are just too high. Paying £32 to watch us struggle against Birmingham is just a bit of a rip off for me.

Plymouth tickets are £27, and they get to look at Wayne Rooney shouting on the touchline. Brentford at home to Villa would be £40.

£32 for league one seems steep.
Zorro
Fresh Alias

Post by Zorro »

It all seems a far cry from 'kids for a quid', 'bring a mate for a fiver', and complimentary guest tickets for ST holders. And a doughnut.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Stevenage have sold 10 tickets for their away game vs Burton Albion on Saturday. It must be expensive at the Pirelli stadium. :o
MassiveForehead
Fresh Alias

:off
Bergen wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:24 pm Stevenage have sold 10 tickets for their away game vs Burton Albion on Saturday. It must be expensive at the Pirelli stadium. :o
Thought some of the Stevenage fans could have got some nice brand new wheels for their house there as well.

Reality is - 12:30 kick off and they don't have a huge fanbase, tickets are only £18. Can't justify paying £37 on the day like some fans might this weekend.

Do think the little bit of success we did have has got to the heads of the owners. We had bigger crowds thanks to a post COVID surge to watch football generally in the country, and the fact we were doing very well. I suspect we will be begging to buy tickets on a cold Tuesday against Bristol Rovers for years to come if we're lower mid table.
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

Until the club is in the Championship there is no requirement for a new ground. The fan base is not there yet, and won’t be with £32 tickets.

I sit in the East and would have no problem with the stand being given up 3-4 times a season to maximise revenue. Blues would have sold 5k tickets for this match easy so another 2k away or so in the East would be an additional c.£60k in the coffers.

As the season progresses and gates (ticket sales) dip as casuals turn away I’m sure we’ll see a few ‘STH mates for a fiver’ and kids for a quid matches.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

You’d think if they were eying up a new stadium they’d do ticket offers to get as many new fans in and kids in as possible. New football fans to the area who don’t currently support orient ain’t gonna spend that money as a casual
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

I believe that without major new investors the major problem is that the club have insufficient funds to get the club any further, so their answer is to put ticket prices out at unreasonable prices.We got so close to the play offs last year and had we had new investors along with not bringing in duff players we could have got there.
Sadly our club whilst they must surely have ambition it appears that it cannot fund a quality squad with a chance of getting into the Championship any time soon and may end up stagnating in this league or possibly even being relegated.
For me the only answer is new investors and stop bringing in players that are not of the quality needed to get us the promotion we all want.Without this I believe that home attendances will fall and we will have to endure stagnation or relegation.
Reflecto
Fresh Alias

Post by Reflecto »

It seems we are in a holding position. We are trying to maximise everything we have - a small stadium, a good manager and a low to mid table budget to hold our own or a little better in this division. I think the underlying problem is that we need new investors - but T&T don't want to lose voting control of the club - and that limits many can be brought in. Also Nigel said that new investors would be interested in a new stadium build - but we are not there yet.

Re: Saturday's crowd - we might not sell-out, but I guess we will still get well over 8000 - not bad given our crowds just a few years ago
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

I can see why the club chanced it with these prices as we were near capacity most of last season, but reality is Birmingham City aren't exactly a fallen giant. Most of my lifetime they've been a middling championship club who had a decent few years in the prem. The idea that they are such a name that your casual match goer is going to fork out 32 quid for it is obviously ridiculous.

Appreciate that the club has a difficult balancing act between generating the revenue they need to push on at this level and keeping things accessible to the non hardcore, but gouging people is going to undo a lot of the good work they've done in increasing attendances and creating a positive vibe around the club. The prices they are charging across the board are the first serious missteps they've made imo and hopefully prompts a rethink next year.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

It's a shame because this game should be a sell out . Birmingham are the biggest club in our league and arguably the biggest club we've played against in the league since we got promoted back from the National League . I know another Orient supporter who told me he'd love to go but he can't afford it .
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Mistadobalina wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:20 am I can see why the club chanced it with these prices as we were near capacity most of last season, but reality is Birmingham City aren't exactly a fallen giant. Most of my lifetime they've been a middling championship club who had a decent few years in the prem. The idea that they are such a name that your casual match goer is going to fork out 32 quid for it is obviously ridiculous.

Appreciate that the club has a difficult balancing act between generating the revenue they need to push on at this level and keeping things accessible to the non hardcore, but gouging people is going to undo a lot of the good work they've done in increasing attendances and creating a positive vibe around the club. The prices they are charging across the board are the first serious missteps they've made imo and hopefully prompts a rethink next year.
You'd hope so but it's pretty rare to see prices come down. Once they've been raised, you're unlikely to see a climb down, even if they acknowledge they've got the pricing wrong.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Would be surprised if the tiering experiment really works and that's quite an easy thing to scrap. Shows a misunderstanding of what a casual punter views an Orient game as. A decision to go will be some combination of the form we're in, time of year and cost, unless we're playing a properly 'big' club (like Leeds or Sunderland). For anyone under the age of 40, Birmingham won't even be the biggest team in the division - Bolton and Charlton have had more memorable success in the top flight over the last couple of decades.
MassiveForehead
Fresh Alias

Mistadobalina wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:39 am Would be surprised if the tiering experiment really works and that's quite an easy thing to scrap. Shows a misunderstanding of what a casual punter views an Orient game as. A decision to go will be some combination of the form we're in, time of year and cost, unless we're playing a properly 'big' club (like Leeds or Sunderland). For anyone under the age of 40, Birmingham won't even be the biggest team in the division - Bolton and Charlton have had more memorable success in the top flight over the last couple of decades.
Wigan as well. They've won the FA Cup more recently than Birmingham won the League cup.
CharlieO
Fresh Alias

Post by CharlieO »

Mistadobalina wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:20 am I can see why the club chanced it with these prices as we were near capacity most of last season, but reality is Birmingham City aren't exactly a fallen giant. Most of my lifetime they've been a middling championship club who had a decent few years in the prem. The idea that they are such a name that your casual match goer is going to fork out 32 quid for it is obviously ridiculous.

The direction of travel re the supporters club too will also lose a lot of goodwill. The SC has proved significantly more successful than the playing side over the years. There is of course a balance but Devlin's aggressive monetisation, membership cards and categorising games etc, taken from the Premier league playbook could prove counterproductive unless there is sustainable achievement on the pitch.
Lifelongfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Lifelongfan »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:05 am It's a shame because this game should be a sell out . Birmingham are the biggest club in our league and arguably the biggest club we've played against in the league since we got promoted back from the National League . I know another Orient supporter who told me he'd love to go but he can't afford it .
Derby are bigger and so are Bolton
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:22 am

You'd hope so but it's pretty rare to see prices come down. Once they've been raised, you're unlikely to see a climb down, even if they acknowledge they've got the pricing wrong.
Still a chance. Once the club realised they had overpriced matchday dining last season there were all sorts of special offers 3 for 2 and BOGOFFS and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again with matchday tickets. Devlin IMHO is out of touch with what the supporters can/can't afford. We should free up the whole or at least 2/3rds of the East stand to away fans if we want to sell out on occasion this season.

I sense a bit of discontent with the fans this season over the way things are being done and a perceived lack of ambition on the playing side with lack of support for RW and only four permanent signings and four loans so far.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Asking people to pay nearly twice as much for a ticket as they were paying two seasons ago, when we haven't really made a single marquee signing this summer to indicate we're going for anything other than a solid mid table finish (which is fine), is a tough sell really.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Mistadobalina wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:51 pm Asking people to pay nearly twice as much for a ticket as they were paying two seasons ago, when we haven't really made a single marquee signing this summer to indicate we're going for anything other than a solid mid table finish (which is fine), is a tough sell really.
Spot on !!