Happy St George’s Day

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Happy St George’s Day

Post by Monkey Boy »

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Happy St George’s Day

Post by Long slender neck »

Oh racist.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Yeah this is a bit much. We can’t let this racism stand, surely?
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Where’s Emily Thornberry when you need her?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Let’s all celebrate with the Rwanda bill going through 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am Let’s all celebrate with the Rwanda bill going through 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
To be honest, I don’t think it’s going to work anyway but something had to be done. The French don’t seem to be tackling the people smugglers so I don’t think the Labour idea will work either . I can’t see immigration stopping until something breaks. What that break entails or how far down the road it will be , I don’t know but I think it will end in tears
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Happy St George’s Day lads!

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Monkey Boy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:59 am 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Many news reports on BBC about this years St Georges day celebrations, here is just one of them !

Hundreds of young people march for St George's Day.
By Rachel Russell
BBC News
Hundreds of young people and volunteers took to the streets in North Yorkshire for a St George's Day celebration parade.

The Yorkshire Volunteer Band led the procession from Clifford's Tower to the Minster in York on Sunday.

Among those marching in their uniforms and waving flags were the region's Scouts, Beavers, Brownies and Rainbows.

John Ives, from North Yorkshire Scouts, said the event was honouring St George being the Patron Saint of Scouting.

He said: "We are delighted that our VIPs were once again able to join the service this year, which was led by Canon Tim Goode, and included items from members of Scouts and Girlguiding.

"It looked at the shared values of Girlguiding and Scouts of caring, including and empowering and gives thanks for our founders Lord and Lady Baden Powell."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-68869701
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:24 am
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am Let’s all celebrate with the Rwanda bill going through 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
To be honest, I don’t think it’s going to work anyway but something had to be done. The French don’t seem to be tackling the people smugglers so I don’t think the Labour idea will work either . I can’t see immigration stopping until something breaks. What that break entails or how far down the road it will be , I don’t know but I think it will end in tears
I'm not sure the following will help stem the flow that much but the EU recently has passed a bill that means all EU countries have taken some form of joint financial liability for the cost of immigration into the EU zone. Them sneaky French will be charging us to help for the problem whilst reclaiming something out of the EU pot!
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:17 am
I'm not sure the following will help stem the flow that much but the EU recently has passed a bill that means all EU countries have taken some form of joint financial liability for the cost of immigration into the EU zone. Them sneaky French will be charging us to help for the problem whilst reclaiming something out of the EU pot!
This thread is supposed to be about the old tradition of celebrating St Georges and not the Rwanda bill going through. Suggest you or someone else starts a new thread on that subject ?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 am
Absolutely . We owe them a debt I doubt we could ever repay .
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:51 am Happy St George’s Day lads!

Whose flag is that ?
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Sid Bishop wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:22 am

This thread is supposed to be about the old tradition of celebrating St Georges and not the Rwanda bill going through. Suggest you or someone else starts a new thread on that subject ?
What old traditions Sid?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The old tradition of staying well clear of Twitter/X on today of all days.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:45 am
What old traditions Sid?
A feast day of St George has been celebrated in England for hundreds of years on 23 April, which was possibly the date of his martyrdom. Following the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, St George's Day became one of the most important feast days in the English calendar.

9 things you didn't know about St George | English Heritage
English Heritage
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk › visit › whats-on
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Is the main course at the St Geo's Banquet Turkey?
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Sid Bishop wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:19 am
Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:45 am

What old traditions Sid?
A feast day of St George has been celebrated in England for hundreds of years on 23 April, which was possibly the date of his martyrdom. Following the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, St George's Day became one of the most important feast days in the English calendar.

9 things you didn't know about St George | English Heritage
English Heritage
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk › visit › whats-on
What traditions do people actually partake in though. I don't remember growing up this being a thing and seems like it's only started being talked about again in the last ten years as people scramble for opportunities to be publicly patriotic.

Compared to the Irish and Welsh patrons saints, it's a rubbish one anyway. Zero connection to England, imposed by monarchs fighting wars abroad.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:28 ammonarchs fighting wars abroad.
We should celebrate the day with this old English tradition.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Let's declare war on France!
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

OyinbO wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:02 am Where’s Emily Thornberry when you need her?
Lovely, likeable endearing lady..
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:05 pm
OyinbO wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:02 am Where’s Emily Thornberry when you need her?
Lovely, likeable endearing lady..
The ''White Van Man'' lady.

Emily Thornberry’s resignation from the Labour shadow cabinet for posting an image of a house in Rochester has provoked fury in Britain and bafflement abroad. While political commentators in the UK were divided over whether she should have resigned, they were fairly united in the belief that Thornberry had committed an embarrassing and potentially devastating faux pas.
At worst, she had shown her (and therefore Labour’s) contempt for the patriotic working classes. According to the prime minister, David Cameron, “effectively what this means is Ed Miliband’s Labour party sneers at people who work hard, who are patriotic and who love their country. And I think that’s completely appalling.” https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... de-britain
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:40 am Let's declare war on France!
I know you're joking but there is something in this.

Each year, on the evening of the 22nd April, there should be an Ant and Dec hosted show where various National Treasure celebrities state their case for which country we attack the following morning. The public then text vote (calls costing £1 plus standard network messaging cost, 10% of profits from the text-in going to Help for Heroes and building a new HMS warship) to decide the outcome. One lucky voter is drawn at random to press the button the next day to launch the first missiles.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:34 pm
Dunners wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:40 am Let's declare war on France!
I know you're joking but there is something in this.

Each year, on the evening of the 22nd April, there should be an Ant and Dec hosted show where various National Treasure celebrities state their case for which country we attack the following morning. The public then text vote (calls costing £1 plus standard network messaging cost, 10% of profits from the text-in going to Help for Heroes and building a new HMS warship) to decide the outcome. One lucky voter is drawn at random to press the button the next day to launch the first missiles.
A decent idea, that. However, I'm still waiting for my telly show idea to get commissioned, so don't hold your breath.

viewtopic.php?t=12826