Best Central Defenders

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Best Central Defender

Omar Beckles
20%
Dan Happe
35%
Brandon Cooper
14%
Jack Simpson
29%
Harrison Sodje
No votes
Nathan Light
2%
Phil Chinedu
2%

Total votes: 66

PKM
Fresh Alias

Re: Best Central Defenders

Post by PKM »

Could do with reading your own rules?

This one sounds appropriate, perhaps others as well.
I would like to see your post deleted
It would be the right thing to do

Message Board Rules

DO NOT post allegations against a person, organisation, company or group without making it clear that your comment is an allegation and do not present it as a fact. When making an allegation, this must be supported by evidence from a reputable source.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

PKM wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:22 pm Could do with reading your own rules?

Message Board Rules

DO NOT post allegations against a person, organisation, company or group without making it clear that your comment is an allegation and do not present it as a fact. When making an allegation, this must be supported by evidence from a reputable source.
“ Former Cardiff City defender Jack Simpson issues public apology after being banned for calling his Asian team-mate a 'dirty P***'... and pleads for chance to salvage his career”

Hope that helps
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:04 pm

Message Board Rules

“ Former Cardiff City defender Jack Simpson issues public apology after being banned for calling his Asian team-mate a 'dirty P***'... and pleads for chance to salvage his career”

Hope that helps
Not at all. So it’s quite acceptable then for a moderator to slur one of our players in the most disgusting of ways and suggest and association with an organisation guilty of murders and much more besides?
In fact the moderator hadn’t even got the balls to say it, just his oh so clever snidey underhand way.
If that’s acceptable behaviour on here then we’re below the bottom of the barrel . And trying to justify an ‘anything goes’ stance because of JS’s reprehensible actions it very very poor. Shame on you if you think that is fine.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

PKM wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:17 pm

Message Board Rules

Hope that helps
Not at all. So it’s quite acceptable then for a moderator to slur one of our players in the most disgusting of ways and suggest and association with an organisation guilty of murders and much more besides?
In fact the moderator hadn’t even got the balls to say it, just his oh so clever snidey underhand way.
If that’s acceptable behaviour on here then we’re below the bottom of the barrel . And trying to justify an ‘anything goes’ stance because of JS’s reprehensible actions it very very poor. Shame on you if you think that is fine.
I’m more of the thought that racism is worse than calling someone a racist.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:24 pm

Hope that helps
Racism in whatever form is to be deplored.
But what LSN did is beyond the pale and if you can’t see or understand that then I’m afraid there is little hope here.
Associating someone with such an organisation goes beyond the pale.
But if you’re ok with that, fine.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

PKM wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:33 pm

But what LSN did is beyond the pale and if you can’t see or understand that then I’m afraid there is little hope here.
Go to bed
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:48 pm
PKM wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:33 pm
Go to bed
Says it all really
Truly pathetic, which, tbf, is a lot better than being an obnoxiously ott snidey c*nt like our esteemed mod.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

OyinbO wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:37 pm Still can’t quite understand the flak Beckles gets. Our best form in many years was when he and Happe were together at the start of this year. When he’s good, Orient are good, and it’s clear how highly Wellens rates him.
There’s definitely something behind the flak Omar gets, I just can’t work out what it is. Same thing happened with Vigaroux last season….

When the opposition have a big, powerful striker, I know which defender I want up against him. No question, Beckles s every time.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 am
OyinbO wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:37 pm Still can’t quite understand the flak Beckles gets. Our best form in many years was when he and Happe were together at the start of this year. When he’s good, Orient are good, and it’s clear how highly Wellens rates him.
There’s definitely something behind the flak Omar gets, I just can’t work out what it is. Same thing happened with Vigaroux last season….

When the opposition have a big, powerful striker, I know which defender I want up against him. No question, Beckles s every time.
I may well be missing something, but it does seem off that he can’t have a couple of iffy moments without folk wanting him shipped off to League Two, whereas Jack Simpson is considered a shoe-in for next season’s promotion campaign on the strength of a couple of hours’ ok football.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

It’s very odd, isnt it.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

Simpson probably is but he has played three games
Happe on paper is a manager's dream, big, can play a pass
Beckles I think in theory is a very good League One CB but I think in his head he overestimates his own ability and thus makes mistakes
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Yeah, lets keep starting the almost 33 year old who has lost a yard of space with poor concentration levels and gets dragged out of position all the time. It would be absolutely bizarre to replace him with a better player who will be playing in their peak for a few years
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

OyinbO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:46 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 am

I may well be missing something, but it does seem off that he can’t have a couple of iffy moments without folk wanting him shipped off to League Two, whereas Jack Simpson is considered a shoe-in for next season’s promotion campaign on the strength of a couple of hours’ ok football.
You have people demanding Beckles stays because he has a good game once every couple of months
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

PKM wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:51 pm Omar struggles to concentrate for 90 mins, just too relaxed sometimes and it costs us.
I don’t think he should be in the first choice pairing but a decent enough back up.
No he doesn’t. That’s a really lazy assessment.

What he does do is overplay on occasion, where he thinks he’s better on the ball than he is.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Anyone calling out Beckles for a lack of pace but ignoring Simpson and Happes shortfall in this area is proper dodgy…
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:07 am
PKM wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:51 pm Omar struggles to concentrate for 90 mins, just too relaxed sometimes and it costs us.
I don’t think he should be in the first choice pairing but a decent enough back up.
No he doesn’t. That’s a really lazy assessment.

What he does do is overplay on occasion, where he thinks he’s better on the ball than he is.
You’re wrong with the first part and right with the second
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 am Anyone calling out Beckles for a lack of pace but ignoring Simpson and Happes shortfall in this area is proper dodgy…
Lack of pace is fine if you’re positionally sound.

One of the reasons Sam Ling was so unbelievably sh*t.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

He's fine, has the occasional brainfart but can handle a battle which we need as we haven't got a squad that is able to scrap much. I don't think he's a promotion quality center back but I guess the hope is that Cooper can kick on to be that player for us.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:34 pm
I fully accept Jack Simpson has looked comfortable on the ball. That said he has only been involved in the last four matches where we have conceded seven goals. At Derby we conceded from three corners and looked a shambles at the back. Obviously not all Simpsons fault, but I've not seen a commanding defence with him in the team. Not saying he's awful, only that the jury is still out IMHO. Not sure how he is clearly above the other three just because he can pass a ball.
Yeah, fair comment. Not sure he had much input in the first two but the third one was definitely on Jackkk, he was bullied at the far post.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

The “Omar thinks that he’s better than he is” line is also unfair IMO. He’s being asked to play a certain way by Wellens and the coaching staff because that’s how the team is set up to play.

Omar is not daft: at 32 he will know his strengths and weaknesses, and that the best way to improve is to actually get out there and do it in a match situation. It’s totally in keeping with the Club’s current ethos of “try things and if they don’t work, try better” and personally I much prefer it to reverting to kick it, lump it, boot it a la Steve Evans.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

OyinbO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:15 am The “Omar thinks that he’s better than he is” line is also unfair IMO. He’s being asked to play a certain way by Wellens and the coaching staff because that’s how the team is set up to play.

Omar is not daft: at 32 he will know his strengths and weaknesses, and that the best way to improve is to actually get out there and do it in a match situation. It’s totally in keeping with the Club’s current ethos of “try things and if they don’t work, try better” and personally I much prefer it to reverting to kick it, lump it, boot it a la Steve Evans.
But he does. He often does that silly drag back when he's 1v1 (and gets away with it 4 times out of 5).

Richie wants us playing football, he doesn't want defenders taking unnecessary risks. It wouldn't surprise me if this is one of the things he means when he talks about players not listening.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:25 am
OyinbO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:15 am The “Omar thinks that he’s better than he is” line is also unfair IMO. He’s being asked to play a certain way by Wellens and the coaching staff because that’s how the team is set up to play.

But he does. He often does that silly drag back when he's 1v1 (and gets away with it 4 times out of 5).

Richie wants us playing football, he doesn't want defenders taking unnecessary risks. It wouldn't surprise me if this is one of the things he means when he talks about players not listening.
A bit strange that he keeps giving him the armband then.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Is it?

Becks has been called out by Richie several times this season, very publicly.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

Wellens often calls out the slow build up play but we still do that every week, Wellens at times is strange, I think he wants to challenge players to achieve more, Richie himself is very ambitious and still has that players mindset so I think he expects that of his players, ie you're good why not get better
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

essexfootball wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:04 pm Wellens often calls out the slow build up play but we still do that every week, Wellens at times is strange, I think he wants to challenge players to achieve more, Richie himself is very ambitious and still has that players mindset so I think he expects that of his players, ie you're good why not get better
I too find it strange about the slow build up play. Is he or is he not the coach. He’s had over two seasons to get the team to move the ball more quickly and yet in a lot of interviews he often has a go at the players for not doing so. Is he covering his own backside or are the players just not listening?