Anyone think Richie might be off?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Anyone think Richie might be off?

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

We seem to get a thread like this every now and again and it’s irritating . Richie will leave in the end because no manager stays at any club forever but hopefully it isn’t for a very long time. For the near future, no , I don’t think Richie will leave . Richie is happy at the club and he knows we love him here . Just get behind the man and start looking forward to next season
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Hoover Attack wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:33 am
DuvB wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:55 am Richie has only just got his CV looking halfway decent after the failures at Salford and Doncaster. He must realise that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.
The grass is not always greener here - remember, there were a fair few people wanting him removed when we had that dodgy spell late last year.
Maybe you are making this assumption that 'a fair few' people want Wellens removed because they don't sing his praises as high as you do..
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm We seem to get a thread like this every now and again and it’s irritating . Richie will leave in the end because no manager stays at any club forever but hopefully it isn’t for a very long time. For the near future, no , I don’t think Richie will leave . Richie is happy at the club and he knows we love him here . Just get behind the man and start looking forward to next season
If only the investors could also get behind Richie and give him the budget he needs to sign the quality of player he wants.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:58 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm We seem to get a thread like this every now and again and it’s irritating . Richie will leave in the end because no manager stays at any club forever but hopefully it isn’t for a very long time. For the near future, no , I don’t think Richie will leave . Richie is happy at the club and he knows we love him here . Just get behind the man and start looking forward to next season
If only the investors could also get behind Richie and give him the budget he needs to sign the quality of player he wants.
Only time will tell on that one but hopefully they will. From what I read the budget has already been agreed for next season so we’ll see what happens.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:45 pm
DuvB wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:55 am Richie has only just got his CV looking halfway decent after the failures at Salford and Doncaster. He must realise that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.
The grass is not always greener here - remember, there were a fair few people wanting him removed when we had that dodgy spell late last year.
Maybe you are making this assumption that 'a fair few' people want Wellens removed because they don't sing his praises as high as you do..
No assumptions. I'm just repeating what the mood was like last November/December. There were some people who thought he should go.

Absolute madness, as I said at the time.
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:21 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:59 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:27 pm I wouldn't particularly want Wellens to go chiefly because I wouldn't really know who to replace him. I think he is overrated though.
He’s the best manager we’ve had in my 40+ years.

I’m not sure what people expect someone to achieve in a little over 2 years.
Yes, I think he's overrated, not so much as to where he's taken us but his brand of football which seems to lack fresh ideas. Many performances this season have been below par, quite boring at times and frustrating. We badly lack a goal threat in many games and never look like scoring. The contribution from midfield is virtually non existent which doesn't help either. (We have fired about 17 blanks this season) The manager is responsible for some of our dire performances as well as the players.
Yes, you have the opinion that he is our best manager in 40 years and I have the opinion that he's somewhat overrated- especially on this board, anyway.

This. The football we’ve played has been successful enough but it’s not exactly great to watch. It’s always quite cautious and the lack of goals means we’re always vulnerable to defeat. The football we played under Slade and Edinburgh was better imho.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Stowaway wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:55 pm

Yes, I think he's overrated, not so much as to where he's taken us but his brand of football which seems to lack fresh ideas. Many performances this season have been below par, quite boring at times and frustrating. We badly lack a goal threat in many games and never look like scoring. The contribution from midfield is virtually non existent which doesn't help either. (We have fired about 17 blanks this season) The manager is responsible for some of our dire performances as well as the players.
Yes, you have the opinion that he is our best manager in 40 years and I have the opinion that he's somewhat overrated- especially on this board, anyway.

This. The football we’ve played has been successful enough but it’s not exactly great to watch. It’s always quite cautious and the lack of goals means we’re always vulnerable to defeat. The football we played under Slade and Edinburgh was better imho.
Absolutely disagree.

Slade was entertaining enough with Moses and Cox, but under Justin we were as dull as you like.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

From what I recall at the end of the promotion season our midfield was faltering badly so Justin had to shore things up with a back five. The style of football was atrocious but working with what he had he got us over the line.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Yet there was time people on here wanted Slade to go . Quotes like Russell has never had a promotion on his CV etc . People forget we’ve had major injury problems this season which has curtailed the way we’ve played. Incidentally, I’ve noticed Paul Smyth has gone through the whole season at QPR with only one slight niggle that kept him out for a game or two. Yet when he was with us he seemed to get injured quite a lot . Is it really all just down to luck .?
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Hoover Attack wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:45 pm

No assumptions. I'm just repeating what the mood was like last November/December. There were some people who thought he should go.

OK, from a fair few to some...
Agree Slade football was attractive, Edinburgh's very dull.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Yet there were times when people on here wanted Slade to go . Quotes like Russell has never had a promotion on his CV etc . People forget we’ve had major injury problems this season which has curtailed the way we’ve played. Incidentally, I’ve noticed Paul Smyth has gone through the whole season at QPR with only one slight niggle that kept him out for a game or two. Yet when he was with us he seemed to get injured quite a lot . Is it really just all down to luck .?
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Smyth had a bad injury in his first season with us then basically none at all during the second, the club actually managed to work out how to keep an injury prone player fit.
Lifelongfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Lifelongfan »

EliotNes wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:51 pm On that performance, what Chairman of a club would want him. He can't keep blaming the players, he sets them up to play like way.

At least 6 times today we were in an attacking position just outside the Fleetwood box and 10-ish seconds and 6 backward passes later it's back with Brynn. Oh well, time to enjoy the late spring and summer.
I agree. They wont have been impressed by Wigan away, Exeter home, Twice v Fleetwood, Derby away, Barnsley away. Great for us but not ready for the Championship yet
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

I've no doubt that if Richie gets a decent offer from a Northern club he will be off to be nearer his family 🤔
PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

Monkey Boy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:44 am There comes a point where you have to ask if the owner’s ambition is the same as Wellens? Theoretically they are,however they have a ten year plan and that’s to find a new ground to accommodate more supporters. You have to ask the question will Wellens want to wait ten years for that to come to fruition. His stock is high at the moment and if he’s not given the backing (remembering the last window debacle) and is offered a bigger club,it’s a no brainier. Do I want him to go?of course not but he’s a young passionate manager who wants success and I’m not sure the club has the financial clout to match that ambition.
Totally agree, a ten year plan maybe what’s needed to identify and build a new stadium but is understandably totally unacceptable to get promoted. Bearing in mind how far we got with a lot of injuries and players like Piggot and the two PL loanies that are nowhere the quality and standard needed, RW must be given the funds needed to bring in quality players that he chooses to get promoted next season, no ifs no buts.
I believe that failure to back RW with the funds to bring in the players he chooses will se us loose him and the buck will stop with the owners and the pathetic transfer committee.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Do people have a reasonable limit to how much money we should be giving Wellens in order to keep him? What scale of losses should we be comfortable with to fulfill this?

I ask as Wellens will leave at some point in the future, whether cause he keeps succeeding or it goes wrong for him. In either instance, people will talk about the owners ambition or backing being to blame. Yet I don't think anyone has a clue what they think is reasonable. Current losses suggest he is getting backed plenty, the current squad suggest we have largely got recruitment right but stuffed up a key position in January.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Off to Barnsley?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Mistadobalina wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:18 pm Do people have a reasonable limit to how much money we should be giving Wellens in order to keep him? What scale of losses should we be comfortable with to fulfill this?

I ask as Wellens will leave at some point in the future, whether cause he keeps succeeding or it goes wrong for him. In either instance, people will talk about the owners ambition or backing being to blame. Yet I don't think anyone has a clue what they think is reasonable. Current losses suggest he is getting backed plenty, the current squad suggest we have largely got recruitment right but stuffed up a key position in January.
In the short term I'd rather give Wellens the next round of investment money than spend it on a training ground.

The budget is one thing but getting the signings done to RW standard in quality and speed is something that needs to be improved. Details on what the changes he's asked for are being kept close to their chest so will be interesting to see how things progress over summer.

The Pigott transfer seemed at the time like a late panic signing and it's proved to be an expensive mistake. January again was in RW's words "too slow" so again that's not a monetary thing.
North Stand Dave
Fresh Alias

Post by North Stand Dave »

No not Barnsley, off to Buckhurst Hill, he's moving his family down here and going nowhere for now.
Scaremongering again 🥱😴
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:16 pm

What a pedant.

There were people - on here and elsewhere - who thought his time was up. Are you disputing that? We can dig out all such posts if you like?

The reason for making that valid point was in relation to the comment that he needed to stay here longer to rebuild his stock after Salford be Doncaster. I was only saying that he’s one bad run of games away here from fans getting on his back again and him getting the sack. It’s always a possibility, so if a big offer did come his way, he’d have to consider it.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

gshaw wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:55 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:18 pm Do people have a reasonable limit to how much money we should be giving Wellens in order to keep him? What scale of losses should we be comfortable with to fulfill this?

In the short term I'd rather give Wellens the next round of investment money than spend it on a training ground.

The budget is one thing but getting the signings done to RW standard in quality and speed is something that needs to be improved. Details on what the changes he's asked for are being kept close to their chest so will be interesting to see how things progress over summer.

The Pigott transfer seemed at the time like a late panic signing and it's proved to be an expensive mistake. January again was in RW's words "too slow" so again that's not a monetary thing.
Not to be rude but taking a calculated gamble on short term success vs investment in the clubs long term infrastructure, with all the benefits that would bring financially and sporting wise, would be absolutely crackers.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Hoover Attack wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:21 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:16 pm

What a pedant.

There were people - on here and elsewhere - who thought his time was up. Are you disputing that? We can dig out all such posts if you like?

The reason for making that valid point was in relation to the comment that he needed to stay here longer to rebuild his stock after Salford be Doncaster. I was only saying that he’s one bad run of games away here from fans getting on his back again and him getting the sack. It’s always a possibility, so if a big offer did come his way, he’d have to consider it.
You don't have to dig anything out, and I'm not saying there wasn't anyone wanting him to go. The tone you set was that there was quite a few people that wanted him sacked. Well, I'm saying that I think there was a quite a few in that lot that wouldn't necessarily have wanted him to go but were critical of the man. And because of your fixation with Wellens anything negative said against him you would conveniently interpret as those wanting him out on his ear. In other words there's no middle ground with you.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Fixation? 😄
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

If he stays so be it and in that case I assume he will have got certain assurances from the board.
On the other hand he goes, but the club and its supporters will endure.
We recovered from the Italian maniac and Justin's death, losing a manager pales into insignificance next to those two events.
Not forgetting the financial collapse of Tony Wood and the ensuing club for a fiver fiasco.

Personally would like to see what he can do, but I am struggling to see how small clubs can compete these days.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

3GO wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:33 am An I the only one who thought it was a bit insulting to RW and the players that 90% of the crowd left straight after the final whistle on Saturday?

Is that how we encourage him to stay..
I feel a bit bad about it now, but it was an awful performance which pissed me right off.