Anyone think Richie might be off?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Re: Anyone think Richie might be off?

Post by Rubex Kube »

gshaw wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:28 pm With his contract not yet signed either I'm the least confident in keeping him that I have been in a while.

I think much will come down to what calibre of signings come in early in the summer. There's some significant turnover coming in the squad so if he can see we won't be competitive other offers will become far more tempting than this time last year.

One thing for sure, the board won't find a better manager and fit for this club than what Richie has brought so if they're serious about future ambitions he needs full backing.
Here untill end of 2025 season, what contract hasn't been signed?
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

We already bleed money backing the manager. Going beyond what the current ownership can reasonably subsidise doesn't seem like a sensible idea, no matter who is in charge.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:48 pm We already bleed money backing the manager. Going beyond what the current ownership can reasonably subsidise doesn't seem like a sensible idea, no matter who is in charge.
Current budget is adequate - we’ve had 3 big earners in Piggot, Moncs and Thompson contribute sod all. Replace those 3 with the decent players their wages should provide and we’ll be there or thereabouts.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:55 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:48 pm We already bleed money backing the manager. Going beyond what the current ownership can reasonably subsidise doesn't seem like a sensible idea, no matter who is in charge.
Current budget is adequate - we’ve had 3 big earners in Piggot, Moncs and Thompson contribute sod all. Replace those 3 with the decent players their wages should provide and we’ll be there or thereabouts.
True . The only problem is how to move out Pigott and Moncur because they are both still under contract
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Rubex Kube wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:37 pm
gshaw wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:28 pm With his contract not yet signed either I'm the least confident in keeping him that I have been in a while.

I think much will come down to what calibre of signings come in early in the summer. There's some significant turnover coming in the squad so if he can see we won't be competitive other offers will become far more tempting than this time last year.

One thing for sure, the board won't find a better manager and fit for this club than what Richie has brought so if they're serious about future ambitions he needs full backing.
The one Kent Teague has been referring to in recent interviews, no doubt a longer term extension.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

B.whitehouse+10more wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:28 pm
The Reverend wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:25 am
Story of O wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:35 am I love RW, but he is not the most successful manager out there yet. If clubs want a manager with promotion success on their CV there are better options out there
Yeah but Rotherham already snapped up Stevie Evans
And this is the boarder who pilloried Simpson :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Strange how you go after this obvious tongue in cheek comment and yet have no issue with the one above me claiming that Wellens is overrated.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

gshaw wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:29 pm

The one Kent Teague has been referring to in recent interviews, no doubt a longer term extension.
An extension to his current contract then & not to be confused with your Lie of an unsigned contract. :clown
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:59 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:27 pm I wouldn't particularly want Wellens to go chiefly because I wouldn't really know who to replace him. I think he is overrated though.
He’s the best manager we’ve had in my 40+ years.

I’m not sure what people expect someone to achieve in a little over 2 years.
Those people won't know what they had until he's gone.

I liked Russell Slade a lot, but as a club we got fortunate that Kevin Lisbie dropped into our hands. Just imagine if we'd had a Lisbie like character up front this season?????

If anyone needs a reminder of his ability, just look at his record in his first 12 games compared to the 12 previous to when he took over.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Rubex Kube wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:07 pm

An extension to his current contract then & not to be confused with your Lie of an unsigned contract. :clown
The club has offered him a new contract, he hasn't signed it yet. That makes it an unsigned contract until it is signed. Seems like you need to keep up with the interviews if you didn't even know, because you wouldn't just be playing semantics to be awkward would you :roll:
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

gshaw wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:07 pm
Rubex Kube wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:07 pm

The club has offered him a new contract, he hasn't signed it yet. That makes it an unsigned contract until it is signed. Seems like you need to keep up with the interviews if you didn't even know, because you wouldn't just be playing semantics to be awkward would you :roll:
Ive listened to said Interviews & RW is under Contract through to 2025. The board want him to stay & have offered him an updated deal. He has to sign it before June 2025 as that is when his current contract expires. Keep telling your self Lies :clown
3GO
Fresh Alias

Post by 3GO »

An I the only one who thought it was a bit insulting to RW and the players that 90% of the crowd left straight after the final whistle on Saturday?

Is that how we encourage him to stay..
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

If the players want to walk round straight after the game with management team, that’s cool.

If they want us to wait while the owners waddle down from their balcony so we can clap them too, I’m out.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

LittleMate wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:38 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:27 pm I wouldn't particularly want Wellens to go chiefly because I wouldn't really know who to replace him. I think he is overrated though.

Those people won't know what they had until he's gone.

I liked Russell Slade a lot, but as a club we got fortunate that Kevin Lisbie dropped into our hands. Just imagine if we'd had a Lisbie like character up front this season?????

If anyone needs a reminder of his ability, just look at his record in his first 12 games compared to the 12 previous to when he took over.
Lisbie was the player that made that forward line work. His linkup play was terrific and his partnership with Mooney was superb.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Richie has only just got his CV looking halfway decent after the failures at Salford and Doncaster. He must realise that the grass is not always greener elsewhere. However money talks and the prospect of a big payoff when sacked might just tempt him - remember Slade and Cardiff.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Story of O wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:35 am I love RW, but he is not the most successful manager out there yet. If clubs want a manager with promotion success on their CV there are better options out there
2 L2 promotions and the EFL trophy in the last 5 years. Not claiming he's peak Mourinho but name 3 of the "better options out there" that would be realistic targets for Leyton Orient Football Club.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

In football these days, a contract means absolutely nothing. If a manager/Coach is head hunted, providing the club that wants him pays the club hes currently at, compo, he's gone.

People seem to think if a manager signs a contract for 2 years, he's there for 2 years guaranteed....not so

Fatty Evans signed a contract with Stevenage not long ago, but last week he left...............as i said means nowt

As far as Richie is concerned, he will be here until he feels the club are not supporting him, at which time he will leave, contract or not, so the club better support him, starting this summer by bringing in the players he wants
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Yes, I think he's overrated, not so much as to where he's taken us but his brand of football which seems to lack fresh ideas. Many performances this season have been below par, quite boring at times and frustrating. We badly lack a goal threat in many games and never look like scoring. The contribution from midfield is virtually non existent which doesn't help either. (We have fired about 17 blanks this season) The manager is responsible for some of our dire performances as well as the players.
Yes, you have the opinion that he is our best manager in 40 years and I have the opinion that he's somewhat overrated- especially on this board, anyway.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

DuvB wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:55 am Richie has only just got his CV looking halfway decent after the failures at Salford and Doncaster. He must realise that the grass is not always greener elsewhere. However money talks and the prospect of a big payoff when sacked might just tempt him - remember Slade and Cardiff.
Would he have gone if the clown had not been in charge
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:57 am
2 L2 promotions and the EFL trophy in the last 5 years. Not claiming he's peak Mourinho but name 3 of the "better options out there" that would be realistic targets for Leyton Orient Football Club.
I was talking about him being a target for other clubs, those that are bigger than us
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

We're already guaranteed to have our 4th highest finish in 30 years, despite it being our first season up at this level and a horrendous injury situation. By a club our size standards, he has done an objectively superb job. I really don't know what some people were expecting from this season.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

DuvB wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:55 am Richie has only just got his CV looking halfway decent after the failures at Salford and Doncaster. He must realise that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.
The grass is not always greener here - remember, there were a fair few people wanting him removed when we had that dodgy spell late last year.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

There comes a point where you have to ask if the owner’s ambition is the same as Wellens? Theoretically they are,however they have a ten year plan and that’s to find a new ground to accommodate more supporters. You have to ask the question will Wellens want to wait ten years for that to come to fruition. His stock is high at the moment and if he’s not given the backing (remembering the last window debacle) and is offered a bigger club,it’s a no brainier. Do I want him to go?of course not but he’s a young passionate manager who wants success and I’m not sure the club has the financial clout to match that ambition.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

3GO wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:33 am An I the only one who thought it was a bit insulting to RW and the players that 90% of the crowd left straight after the final whistle on Saturday?

Is that how we encourage him to stay..
Obviously a lot of people had the hump that we'd lost to an already relegated side rather than see the bigger picture.

I like our board (Travis and Teague anyway) not sure why they had to do a lap of honour. If you want to say thanks to the fans pop in the bars after the ground like Teague does.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:17 am In football these days, a contract means absolutely nothing. If a manager/Coach is head hunted, providing the club that wants him pays the club hes currently at, compo, he's gone.

People seem to think if a manager signs a contract for 2 years, he's there for 2 years guaranteed....not so

Fatty Evans signed a contract with Stevenage not long ago, but last week he left...............as i said means nowt

As far as Richie is concerned, he will be here until he feels the club are not supporting him, at which time he will leave, contract or not, so the club better support him, starting this summer by bringing in the players he wants
Contracts mean protection financially to both parties. You must know that?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Mistadobalina wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:31 am We're already guaranteed to have our 4th highest finish in 30 years, despite it being our first season up at this level and a horrendous injury situation. By a club our size standards, he has done an objectively superb job. I really don't know what some people were expecting from this season.
At start of season many people (myself included) had the sight firmly set at comfortable L1 safety as early as possible. That was achieved with room to spare so pleasing in that regard.

The element of disappointment is having put ourselves in a superb position at the turn of the year RW wasn't given the tools he asked for to go one better and hit the play-offs. Greedy, maybe but definitely a missed opportunity.

With recency bias of the lacklustre "on the beach" games more fresh in mind over the excellent results in December / January it comes out as disappointment to some at the season overall, which isn't the case.

Which takes us to summer window and needing to do far better than January's attempt.