Is he that good?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Is he that good?

Post by Monkey Boy »

I know this maybe controversial but is Pep Guardiola that good? Personally his possession type of football is driving round the bend,went to see City play a couple of weeks ago and also watched the games against Real Madrid all be it on the box,they won’t shoot unless there in the six yard box and are so laboured in there build up. Yes they have good players but so they should with the amount of money they have. I tend to think that Guardiola coaches footballers natural talent out of them. Stones gets a look in now and again and Grealish isn’t the player he was a couple of years ago. You could argue that he’s been successful at all of his teams however he’s always had shed loads of money available at Munich,Barcelona plus City. To my mind he so predictable,always keeping his two wingers or wingbacks hugging the touch line. In this country people seem to think foreign coaches are the dogs some are,but some are no better than ours. I’ve noticed that José Mourinho wasn’t doing so well at slightly smaller clubs and I would love to see Guardiola manage a first or second division club without a small country backing him. Yep some will disagree I know.
soloman
Fresh Alias

Re: Is he that good?

Post by soloman »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:02 am I know this maybe controversial but is Pep Guardiola that good? Personally his possession type of football is driving round the bend,went to see City play a couple of weeks ago and also watched the games against Real Madrid all be it on the box,they won’t shoot unless there in the six yard box and are so laboured in there build up. Yes they have good players but so they should with the amount of money they have. I tend to think that Guardiola coaches footballers natural talent out of them. Stones gets a look in now and again and Grealish isn’t the player he was a couple of years ago. You could argue that he’s been successful at all of his teams however he’s always had shed loads of money available at Munich,Barcelona plus City. To my mind he so predictable,always keeping his two wingers or wingbacks hugging the touch line. In this country people seem to think foreign coaches are the dogs some are,but some are no better than ours. I’ve noticed that José Mourinho wasn’t doing so well at slightly smaller clubs and I would love to see Guardiola manage a first or second division club without a small country backing him. Yep some will disagree I know.
Shouldn't you be in school ! This has got to be the worse piece of crap you've posted ever . Have you never seen De Bruynre , Rodric or Foden play yet ! :lol: :lol:
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

soloman wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:32 am
Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:02 am I know this maybe controversial but is Pep Guardiola that good? Personally his possession type of football is driving round the bend,went to see City play a couple of weeks ago and also watched the games against Real Madrid all be it on the box,they won’t shoot unless there in the six yard box and are so laboured in there build up. Yes they have good players but so they should with the amount of money they have. I tend to think that Guardiola coaches footballers natural talent out of them. Stones gets a look in now and again and Grealish isn’t the player he was a couple of years ago. You could argue that he’s been successful at all of his teams however he’s always had shed loads of money available at Munich,Barcelona plus City. To my mind he so predictable,always keeping his two wingers or wingbacks hugging the touch line. In this country people seem to think foreign coaches are the dogs some are,but some are no better than ours. I’ve noticed that José Mourinho wasn’t doing so well at slightly smaller clubs and I would love to see Guardiola manage a first or second division club without a small country backing him. Yep some will disagree I know.
Shouldn't you be in school ! This has got to be the worse piece of crap you've posted ever . Have you never seen De Bruynre , Rodric or Foden play yet ! :lol: :lol:
I have but I bet you haven’t watched them in a game live, the trouble with stupid people like yourself is that you can’t think for yourself. That’s the trouble with this country and footballin general,to many people are to frightened to say what they think. People like yourself want to shout them down or go along with the majority. I’ve been to coaching seminars and people don’t say what there thinking they want to keep there jobs. Solomon you have a problem with me you always have had for some reason I have my suspicions why but just for the record, I haven’t with you, I just feel a bit sorry for you.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

I suspect he’s as good as there is. He’s proven this at the very elite level for many years. Mourhino in his prime was as good I think. Plenty of managers have failed when given the opportunity at the very top level. Moyes at United and Rodgers at Liverpool spring to mind.

You make an interesting point about how he would do say in League One with limited resources. I suspect he would be successful but I don’t think we are likely to find out. The only manager I can think of recently who has dropped significantly down the pyramid is Mark Hughes and he struggled. Maybe Stevenage could go for Pep so he can prove his craft.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Yes, I have to say that Manchester City, though full of talent and skill, are nevertheless a boring watch.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

I get your argument Monkey boy because the vast majority if not all managers eventually fail. In the PL the best teams generally have the most money and in the lower leagues it’s blind luck mixed in with the most money. Look at league one this year, it’s almost exactly as you would imagine with the best supported teams at the top and the teams with less money at the bottom. Without looking, who can name the manager of Portsmouth? Without a big budget it’s almost certain that RW will eventually get fired if he doesn’t leave first. Pep is at a side with the most money ergo he does well. If he went to say Burton I can guarantee he’ll fail eventually.
Nad2008
Fresh Alias

Post by Nad2008 »

Thought this thread was going to be about Brynn. Have seen more and more posts on social media recently calling out Brynn.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

I feel that pep had got a bit arrogant this season, and feels he can win with any eleven players he puts out. For half the season they've been playing 4 centre halves, and have got away with things due to the quality of their attacking players
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

One set of financial doping cheats played the other and Pep got outsmarted by the a shrewd operator. Put the clubs on a level playing field then we'd see who really has the skills
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Said this loads but there’s not a sliding scale of managers from “best” to “worst”. There are managers suited to different tasks.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Nad2008 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:39 pm Thought this thread was going to be about Brynn. Have seen more and more posts on social media recently calling out Brynn.
I don’t think Brynn is a bad keeper at this level, the last half a dozen games have basically been meaningless and impetus and concentration levels have dropped and you can see this throughout the team imo.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

if Pep Guardiola isn’t ‘that good’ then there are no good managers in football. Has to be one of the most stupid posts that has been posted on here.

The man is a genius. His Barca, Bayern and City teams have all played differently and he continues to modify the way City play.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

gshaw wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 pm One set of financial doping cheats played the other and Pep got outsmarted by the a shrewd operator. Put the clubs on a level playing field then we'd see who really has the skills
Outsmarted? It was a penalty shootout.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:31 pm if Pep Guardiola isn’t ‘that good’ then there are no good managers in football. Has to be one of the most stupid posts that has been posted on here.

The man is a genius. His Barca, Bayern and City teams have all played differently and he continues to modify the way City play.
That’s your opion somewhat as stupid and ignorant reply as Soloman wonder why🤔 trust me you’ve made more stupid posts than mine, didn’t you slag off the girl in the office a week or two ago? Pot kettle black comes to mine. I much prefer people’s opion when they put a serious argument together other than yours, but there again sheep do seem to stick together 💁‍♀️
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

The guy completely changed how the game was played with his Barca team and continues to come up with new ideas that everyone else copies. Even lower league English teams mimic the template he's created, our whole set up is for all intents and purposes based on how Pep's teams play. I can't think of another manager in my lifetime who comes close to how influential he is.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

imo all successful managers are something of a myth. Reputations grant benefit of the doubt, and careers are based on small moments.

Perhaps Guardiola’s best quality for his own reputation is leaving on his own terms, from clubs where he doesn’t under achieve
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:32 pm
gshaw wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 pm One set of financial doping cheats played the other and Pep got outsmarted by the a shrewd operator. Put the clubs on a level playing field then we'd see who really has the skills
Outsmarted? It was a penalty shootout.
Had Real 1 up on the night then kept his side solid to take it to pens despite City dominating possession albeit with very little end product. Nearly nicked it at the end on the counter too in ET.

If it were possible I wanted both teams to lose, hoping Bayern can do a job on them next round.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:44 pm The guy completely changed how the game was played with his Barca team and continues to come up with new ideas that everyone else copies. Even lower league English teams mimic the template he's created, our whole set up is for all intents and purposes based on how Pep's teams play. I can't think of another manager in my lifetime who comes close to how influential he is.
I take your opion on board however all this playing out from the back and keeping possession is fine until they come under pressure and eventually end up punting forward,how many times have we seen Beccles and the back four poncing about with back and forth this season and eventually getting caught. Even Richie says we are not direct enough sometimes. Pep wants his keeper as another CB, shouldn’t there priority be to stop the ball going into the net. All his teams have been in place or he’s had the money to go and buy who he wants. It’s easy to tell players like Foden to play and control a ball but I seriously think he would have his work cut out trying to teach Ruel to control a ball.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:16 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:44 pm The guy completely changed how the game was played with his Barca team and continues to come up with new ideas that everyone else copies. Even lower league English teams mimic the template he's created, our whole set up is for all intents and purposes based on how Pep's teams play. I can't think of another manager in my lifetime who comes close to how influential he is.
I take your opion on board however all this playing out from the back and keeping possession is fine until they come under pressure and eventually end up punting forward,how many times have we seen Beccles and the back four poncing about with back and forth this season and eventually getting caught. Even Richie says we are not direct enough sometimes. Pep wants his keeper as another CB, shouldn’t there priority be to stop the ball going into the net. All his teams have been in place or he’s had the money to go and buy who he wants. It’s easy to tell players like Foden to play and control a ball but I seriously think he would have his work cut out trying to teach Ruel to control a ball.
''it’s easy to tell players like Foden to play and control a ball but I seriously think he would have his work cut out trying to teach Ruel to control a ball.''

That thought made me laugh, true though !!!
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:16 pm
Dare I say it, but I think you underestimate his mental skills as a coach. I doubt very much he does any actual coaching. His role will be to demand the standards he wants and get them. His knack of getting the best from his players and even wanting to sign is not luck. Ferguson could do it too.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:41 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:31 pm if Pep Guardiola isn’t ‘that good’ then there are no good managers in football. Has to be one of the most stupid posts that has been posted on here.

That’s your opion somewhat as stupid and ignorant reply as Soloman wonder why🤔 trust me you’ve made more stupid posts than mine, didn’t you slag off the girl in the office a week or two ago? Pot kettle black comes to mine. I much prefer people’s opion when they put a serious argument together other than yours, but there again sheep do seem to stick together 💁‍♀️
I criticised her for something that happened to me last season where they were unable to to communicate between themselves and put me into debt I didn’t want and took up time I didn’t want to give to cover what happened.

Pep has a system and that comes first. There’s no space for individuality outside of the system and that’s why they’re so dominant. He’s made Stones a better player, just like he made Kimmich a better player at Bayern.

He won the treble at Barca. He won the treble at City. He did the double twice at Bayern.

And you think he’s not that good. Give your head a wobble.
MassiveForehead
Fresh Alias

Post by MassiveForehead »

He's phenomenal and the whole of the British pyramid is trying to copy him. OP is ridiculous.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Pep is a great Manager, of course he is, I would however like to see him take charge of Leyton Orient for say 1 season just to see what difference he would make.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Can’t believe how many bites this nonsense has got.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Pep likes to be unpredictable…one way of keeping people on their toes, which is one facet of effective management.

When Grealish and another player went totally awol on a bender, he was asked if he was angry. He replied yes, only because he “wasn’t invited.” You can bet he was livid behind the scenes…and Grealish paid the price.

Contrast this with the predictable way that Ten Hag deals with similar issues by trying to impose his authority. Has a player ever attempted to badmouth Pep?