No more FA Cup replays

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: No more FA Cup replays

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:49 pm Don't see the issue.
Just think. Without replays you'd have missed out on the opportunity to fund my bar bill at the Emirates.
This is the main driver behind my contrary take on the topic.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

CEB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:08 pm
Could this potentially force big teams to take it seriously from the start, or, alternatively (and even better) mean that when big clubs use their squad players in cup ties, they face a greater risk of a cup exit if the tie has to be decided on the night?
Missed this on first read through - yes, definitely.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 am
Could this potentially force big teams to take it seriously from the start, or, alternatively (and even better) mean that when big clubs use their squad players in cup ties, they face a greater risk of a cup exit if the tie has to be decided on the night?
So basically you think this is good as it could force Spurs to take it more seriously?
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Where did I say this could force teams to take it seriously?
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

Maybe they should get rid of 2 leg ties and extra time in European matches as well.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:13 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 am
So basically you think this is good as it could force Spurs to take it more seriously?
He said “big teams”….
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Damn, my reply deliberately omitted “big” in the hope nobody would pick up on that aspect…
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Leyton Orient
News
Matches
Teams

3 HOURS AGO
CLUB
CLUB STATEMENT : FA CUP REVISED FORMAT
By LOFC Media

Leyton Orient Football Club are extremely disappointed with the recent decision made by the FA and Premier League to dispense with FA Cup replays from the first round.

O’s CEO Mark Devlin said: “For this decision to be made without a full consultation with EFL clubs and the wider game is quite incredible.

“The FA are the guardians of the entire English game, not just the top of it and this decision is potentially very damaging for our football pyramid.

“At Orient, we have seen first-hand exactly how beneficial FA Cup replays can be. The revenue the club generated from its FA Cup run in 2011, which concluded with a replay at Arsenal, made the club almost £2m, which was circa 30 per cent of that year’s annual turnover.

“Financial sustainability in football is, of course, a hot topic at present and although as a club you would never budget for a big FA Cup tie or replay, the funds they do generate can make a huge difference to clubs outside of the Premier League and their local communities.

“As well as the obvious financial advantages, there is the excitement that comes with the FA Cup as a whole and replays. Since I have joined Orient, I have been told many times about the crazy 8-2 victory over Droylsden. The removal of replays takes all that away.

“My personal belief is that this decision has been made to accommodate an expanded Champions League fixture list, which now looks very much like a European Super league but in different clothing.

“I am concerned that an increased number of European fixtures will also threaten the future of the EFL Cup and Premier League participation within it, which will impact the revenue made available to EFL clubs.

“For this decision to be made after the Premier League had argued against the introduction of an independent regulator and whilst they are dragging their heels over a new distribution deal for the EFL is upsetting for all clubs at our level.

“I am extremely disappointed that the FA has seen fit to make these changes ahead of any firm agreement and commitment to EFL clubs and redistribution.

“I hope that the FA will have the courage to put this decision on hold and hold a full consultation with EFL and non-league clubs before coming to a final decision.”
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Story of O wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 pm
“At Orient, we have seen first-hand exactly how beneficial FA Cup replays can be. The revenue the club generated from its FA Cup run in 2011, which concluded with a replay at Arsenal, made the club almost £2m, which was circa 30 per cent of that year’s annual turnover.
Any other examples in the last 40 years, Mark?

Regardless, if that had happened in the new format, we would have had the opportunity to knock Arsenal out in a penalty shoot out at our place. Something we could have realistically achieved. Having conquered Arsenal, we would then have been rewarded with a quarter final tie against Manchester United at Old Trafford. I know what I (and my wallet) would have preferred.
Last edited by Hoover Attack on Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Story of O wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 pm“As well as the obvious financial advantages, there is the excitement that comes with the FA Cup as a whole and replays. Since I have joined Orient, I have been told many times about the crazy 8-2 victory over Droylsden.
Have you, Mark? Have you really?

Regardless, if that had happened in the new format, Droylsden would have had the chance to knock us out on penalties at their place in the original tie. Something they could very likely have accomplished. They would have then been rewarded with a trip to Norwich's Carrow Road in the next round. Ask them where they would have preferred to play....
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:19 pm
Story of O wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 pm
Any other examples in the last 40 years, Mark?

Regardless, if that had happened in the new format, we would have had the opportunity to knock Arsenal out in a penalty shoot out at our place. Something we could have realistically achieved. Having conquered Arsenal, we would then have been rewarded with a quarter final tie against Manchester United at Old Trafford. I know what I (and my wallet) would have preferred.
Your wallet would not have been any safer in Manchester.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

One of the most famous FA Cup goal was scored in a replay, Ronnie Redford against Newcastle
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Also Scott Houghton's arse got his famous goal in a replay.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Story of O wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 pm “My personal belief is that this decision has been made to accommodate an expanded Champions League fixture list, which now looks very much like a European Super league but in different clothing.
Nailed it right there
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:39 pm Absolutely bullshit decision.
Agree. Obviously Premier league decision. Why can’t we have replays on Rounds 1 and 2 when the premier clubs are not involved
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

if 40 or more clubs refuse to play FA cup matches, the FA wont have an FA cup

They'll have to back down
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

Isn’t it about time every club outside the PL got together and forced a vote of no confidence in the FA? They’re clearly not fit for purpose any longer.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Stowaway wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:59 am Isn’t it about time every club outside the PL got together and forced a vote of no confidence in the FA? They’re clearly not fit for purpose any longer.
Absolutely, they're a disgrace

As per the post above if the FA refuse to roll this back boycott the FA Cup next season and play the EFL Trophy seriously as its replacement for the EFL and NL sides. Kick out the U23 B Teams to revert another unwanted change too.

In amongst all this no-one has mentioned the Carabao Cup. Would anyone be upset if that one got the boot so we could keep the FA Cup in its current format?