No more FA Cup replays

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: No more FA Cup replays

Post by Hoover Attack »

Story of O wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 pm
Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:49 pm Why should efl teams dislike this?
So we get a draw at Old Trafford, but no longer get the money from a replay at home and maybe money from being on the tv
We get a draw at Old Trafford, we only have to win a pen shoot out and we’re in the next round.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm It immediately removes one of the good possible outcomes from drawing a big side in R3 onwards.
What good possible outcome?

Get an away draw at one of the big teams, you’ve had your luck.

Get a home draw against one of the big teams, you’ve now got more of a chance of putting them out and progressing to the next round and playing another big team.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:22 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm It immediately removes one of the good possible outcomes from drawing a big side in R3 onwards.

Get a home draw against one of the big teams, you’ve now got more of a chance of putting them out and progressing to the next round and playing another big team.
This WUM is going over my head, I must admit.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Im not sure if he’s on a WUM or not but he’s convinced me anyway
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

So all Jonathan Tehoue's goal against the Arsenal would have just earned us another 30 minutes for them to pump us (plus pens if needed) - rather than the £1 Million (admittedly a number picked out the air by Baz, but I'd imagine pretty close) we got from going to the Emirates?
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

The focus of the discussion so far has been on the impact this will have on EFL teams in relation to games against Premier League teams, but I actually think scrapping replays in rounds 1 & 2 really screws over non-league teams who make it that far.

For a team in the conference south or lower, the income from two games (initial fixture and replay) against the likes of a Charlton, Pompy or dare I say it an Orient could be a serious lifeline.

When it comes to professional clubs versus part timers a system which forces extra time massively benefits the professional club as in general their players will be fitter due to them being able to train every day. They’ll also have larger squads of fitter players. I’m not suggesting that semi-pro players aren’t fit, but if you gave a semi pro club the option between ending on a draw and replaying or playing an extra 30 mins against pros I’m sure the vast majority would choose the replay option.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

StillSpike wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:30 pm

So all Jonathan Tehoue's goal against the Arsenal would have just earned us another 30 minutes for them to pump us (plus pens if needed) - rather than the £1 Million (admittedly a number picked out the air by Baz, but I'd imagine pretty close) we got from going to the Emirates?
I’ve already said it would be better going straight to pens, not extra time. We then have a 50:50 chance of dumping Arsenal out of the cup and making it into the next round. If we go to a replay, we’re guaranteed to get battered.

All everyone is focusing on is the prospect of small club drawing at home and missing out on replay away at big team. You’re missing the point that we would have a genuine of progressing to the next round, making history for the club and pulling another big team in the next round.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

We don’t want to draw with Carlisle at home in round 1 at home and have to go all the way there for an additional Tuesday night game in an already busy November.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

The Reverend wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:36 pm The focus of the discussion so far has been on the impact this will have on EFL teams in relation to games against Premier League teams, but I actually think scrapping replays in rounds 1 & 2 really screws over non-league teams who make it that far.

For a team in the conference south or lower, the income from two games (initial fixture and replay) against the likes of a Charlton, Pompy or dare I say it an Orient could be a serious lifeline.

When it comes to professional clubs versus part timers a system which forces extra time massively benefits the professional club as in general their players will be fitter due to them being able to train every day. They’ll also have larger squads of fitter players. I’m not suggesting that semi-pro players aren’t fit, but if you gave a semi pro club the option between ending on a draw and replaying or playing an extra 30 mins against pros I’m sure the vast majority would choose the replay option.
It’s exactly the same for them against us as it is for us against Prem.

Chelmsford City play us at home in round 2. They’re not going to win but they could get a draw and beat us on pens, then pull out a really big side away in round 3.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:26 pm
The Reverend wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:36 pm The focus of the discussion so far has been on the impact this will have on EFL teams in relation to games against Premier League teams, but I actually think scrapping replays in rounds 1 & 2 really screws over non-league teams who make it that far.

Chelmsford City play us at home in round 2. They’re not going to win but they could get a draw and beat us on pens, then pull out a really big side away in round 3.
I’d argue that it’s not the same as a LG1 team playing against Premier league team for the reasons I mentioned above about fitness.

A lot of non-league teams are part time. Playing an additional 30 mins against a professional outfit is way more difficult than starting fresh in a replay.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

It’s also worth pointing out that the financial bonus for a team getting a big exciting draw away at Man Utd is entirely luck based and so
A: isnt anything that any club relies on happening in any given season, or even any given 5-10 year period

B: is something that if the club in question is small enough where the money from a cup game is such a massive deal, then that’s a piece of luck that could impact negatively on clubs around them that don’t get that luck, if that team invests the money in the squad and goes up/avoids relegation etc
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

The Reverend wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:09 pm

I’d argue that it’s not the same as a LG1 team playing against Premier league team for the reasons I mentioned above about fitness.

A lot of non-league teams are part time. Playing an additional 30 mins against a professional outfit is way more difficult than starting fresh in a replay.
Do you have any statistics about lower league team results against prem teams in matches that go to extra time Vs lower league teams against prem teams in a 90 minute replay?
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

Do you have any statistics about lower league team results against prem teams in matches that go to extra time Vs lower league teams against prem teams in a 90 minute replay?
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

CEB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:14 pm

Not to hand but I’m sure they exist. Feel free to go look for yourself and come back to us with the results.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

I’ve already said I’d do away with extra time and go straight to pens.

Ok, I don’t know exactly how much fitter Prem players are than League 1/2 players, or how much fitter League 1/2 players are than step 1/2/3 players, but the circumstances are very similar if not exactly the same. Prem teams will also have a larger number of quality squad players available to them to bring on from the bench.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

CEB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:12 pm It’s also worth pointing out that the financial bonus for a team getting a big exciting draw away at Man Utd is entirely luck based and so
A: isnt anything that any club relies on happening in any given season, or even any given 5-10 year period

B: is something that if the club in question is small enough where the money from a cup game is such a massive deal, then that’s a piece of luck that could impact negatively on clubs around them that don’t get that luck, if that team invests the money in the squad and goes up/avoids relegation etc
This is daftness.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

I like this, I think there'll be more upsets and make the later rounds more interesting.

Not sure why everyone is up in arms at the EPL, surely the FA have made this decision, or does the FA cup have nothing to do with them anymore?
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 am

I’ve already said I’d do away with extra time and go straight to pens.

Ok, I don’t know exactly how much fitter Prem players are than League 1/2 players, or how much fitter League 1/2 players are than step 1/2/3 players, but the circumstances are very similar if not exactly the same. Prem teams will also have a larger number of quality squad players available to them to bring on from the bench.
You are right with the straight to pens suggestion but that isn’t what will actually happen so I still say the decision, in its current form, is a poor one.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

'This hypothetical system that isn't being introduced is much fairer'.

If the deal had come with an agreement to distribute more tv money through the pyramid then I could sort of see an argument for it. But it isn't. It's just once again furthering the interests of a small number of clubs who dominate the game.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Adz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:49 am
Not sure why everyone is up in arms at the EPL, surely the FA have made this decision, or does the FA cup have nothing to do with them anymore?
It's obviously a carve up between the two. The fa wouldn't have done this if the epl wasn't asking for it, that much is clear from the statement they made.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

I wonder if the clubs were consulted about this
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

A statement from Tranmere

Tranmere Rovers condemn the disgraceful decision taken by The FA and the Premier League to change the format of the FA Cup, including the scrapping of replays.

There was no consultation with Football League clubs, National League clubs or grassroots clubs to whom the competition represents not only their best opportunity to create life-long memories for supporters but also a hugely important source of income. We also understand that FA Council members were not consulted about the changes.

The decision, and the way it was taken, demonstrate a total lack of respect for the football pyramid and its fans. Football belongs to all of us and decisions should not be taken in back room deals in which only the very wealthiest clubs are allowed to participate. It is yet another eloquent example of the 19th-century governance that means that football simply cannot regulate itself and needs the Independent Football Regulator to have real teeth.

We condemn the changes wholeheartedly and urge The FA to suspend them immediately until all stakeholders in the game are properly consulted.
KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by KenleyO »

This is also being driven by the EFL new tv deal with sky. With a match weekend now running Friday to Monday it could potentially mean a short notice cancellation of a televised game.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:49 pm Don't see the issue.
Just think. Without replays you'd have missed out on the opportunity to fund my bar bill at the Emirates.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mistadobalina wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:07 am 'This hypothetical system that isn't being introduced is much fairer'.

If the deal had come with an agreement to distribute more tv money through the pyramid then I could sort of see an argument for it. But it isn't. It's just once again furthering the interests of a small number of clubs who dominate the game.
I've not said the revised system is 'much fairer'. I just said that I don't see the issue.

The upsides are obvious - less fixture congestion, less injuries and that benefits all teams.

The only downside is the smaller club at home against a bigger side missing out on a replay at the bigger teams ground. My argument is that small side now have a better chance of knocking that team out and progressing to the next round than they would under the current system. Their name then goes back in the hat and they have the chance of another tie.

How many times would this have impacted us in the last 40 years? The Arsenal game in 2010 is the only one that springs to mind.