Steve Evans leaves Stevenage

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

FilipinO
Fresh Alias

Steve Evans leaves Stevenage

Post by FilipinO »

https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2024/a ... ll-league/

He only just signed a new contract as well, not even seeing out the season. Really interesting to see what next for them!
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Steve Evans leaves Stevenage

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Blimey, it had all come full circle in ten years hasnt it?

Probably do well at Rotherham. But Stevenage bottled it this year
FilipinO
Fresh Alias

Post by FilipinO »

Yeah, he seems to do ok where ever he goes. I'm more interested in Stevenage, did he think they'd gone as far as they can and that the momentum will start to falter.

Alex Revell in charge for the time being.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Suspect he definitely saw them as having hit a ceiling. Expect them to fall away next year especially if they don't hold on to Reid.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:58 pm Blimey, it had all come full circle in ten years hasnt it?

Did we bottle it too? Or just fail to last the distance with limited resources?
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

A hard act to follow because of his management style and approach to games. Has a certain type of player that responds to him. They could struggle next season.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Not surprised given the incredible job he’s done at Stevenage

His record speaks for itself how he regularly gets success and promotions at a lot of the clubs he goes to

Someone I think Travis should take a look at when Wellens eventually leaves.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:22 pm Not surprised given the incredible job he’s done at Stevenage

His record speaks for itself how he regularly gets success and promotions at a lot of the clubs he goes to

Agree. Is it a stretch to perhaps move RW “upstairs” now and see if we could get Evans?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Beradogs wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:24 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:22 pm Not surprised given the incredible job he’s done at Stevenage

Agree. Is it a stretch to perhaps move RW “upstairs” now and see if we could get Evans?
Would be an ambitious move by the board but would almost certainly mean a promotion to the Championship within three seasons
WhetstoneO
Fresh Alias

Post by WhetstoneO »

I feel for the Rotherham fans, after watching essentially a league one team in the Championship and getting battered every week, now they have old Fat Boy's wonderful brand of 'football' to look forward to.

Think he realised the race was run at Stevenage, it's no surprise that their form fell right off after Christmas when they started playing teams for the second time and had been worked out, just like we did to them. One trick pony
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Too late now he has gone to Rotherham. Also due to the dislike many Os fans have for him, I would guess Orient is about one of the last clubs he would want to manage !
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:03 pm Suspect he definitely saw them as having hit a ceiling. Expect them to fall away next year especially if they don't hold on to Reid.
As I said on another thread, I’d expect Evans to raid Stevenage to take their best players . I think he’ll have the budget to do it otherwise I doubt he would have gone back to there
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

WhetstoneO wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:58 pm I feel for the Rotherham fans, after watching essentially a league one team in the Championship and getting battered every week, now they have old Fat Boy's wonderful brand of 'football' to look forward to.

Think he realised the race was run at Stevenage, it's no surprise that their form fell right off after Christmas when they started playing teams for the second time and had been worked out, just like we did to them. One trick pony
Exactly . We matched their physicality with ours and that’s why I believe we won .
Don Keybollock
Fresh Alias

Post by Don Keybollock »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:59 pm

Too late now he has gone to Rotherham. Also due to the dislike many Os fans have for him, I would guess Orient is about one of the last clubs he would want to manage !
Exactly, I doubt there's many O's fans who would want the fat w*nker anywhere near our club.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:11 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:58 pm Blimey, it had all come full circle in ten years hasnt it?

Your point is accurate. They, like us, have limited resources and were probably over stretched, like us.

But they've been top 7 pretty much all season so the optics are more that they are bottlers. Whereas we were bottom half for about 2 months.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

:lol:
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Looking forward to Richie running up the touchline, past Evans, holding up his trousers as Piggot scores a worldy to win us the playoffs.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

LittleMate wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:15 pm A hard act to follow because of his management style and approach to games. Has a certain type of player that responds to him. They could struggle next season.
This, especially if we remember - I think I'm correct - they were only in the EFL because Bury went bust and so Stevenage were not relegated to the NL when they finished bottom of L2 in season 19/20 or was it due to the one off Pandemic rules for ending that season? Some boarder will know the ins and outs by heart, I am sure.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:03 pm Suspect he definitely saw them as having hit a ceiling. Expect them to fall away next year especially if they don't hold on to Reid.
IRotherham are obviously able to pay him a considerably higher salary which will have had more to do with it
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:28 pm
Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:11 pm

Your point is accurate. They, like us, have limited resources and were probably over stretched, like us.

But they've been top 7 pretty much all season so the optics are more that they are bottlers. Whereas we were bottom half for about 2 months.
Bottom half as early doors we got 0 points from our first 4 games because we didn't think we deserved to be at this level. Bottlers.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Don Keybollock wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:19 pm

Exactly, I doubt there's many O's fans who would want the fat w*nker anywhere near our club.
I for one wouldn't ☹️
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Quite right, the insults he gets on here from some boarders is just way over the top and disrespectful. Just see Don k on this thread...
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Was tempted to taunt Stevenage fans for their worshipped hero bolting on them as soon as a better offer came along, but thought better of it...
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

WhetstoneO wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:58 pm I feel for the Rotherham fans, after watching essentially a league one team in the Championship and getting battered every week, now they have old Fat Boy's wonderful brand of 'football' to look forward to.

I think the number of promotions Evans has had at different clubs suggests he is more than a one trick pony, I don't like his style of football but he certainly gets results/promotions.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Think your a little off the mark there dogs, Wellens has a good few years of coaching in him and I don’t think he would like that at the moment. The question is,will RW stay? I wouldn’t be surprised if Rotherham had made an offer to Wellens?