Ollie O’Neill

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

PKM
Fresh Alias

Ollie O’Neill

Post by PKM »

What a cracking signing!
5 goals and three assists. Well spotted by the club (Lingy?)
He’s hit the ground running. Does seem a contrast between O’Neill, ex academy, to the two from Arsenal/Bournemouth.Maybe the loan to Derry City gave him valuable experience.
I’m excited by the development of our young players, they can only get better!
Thinking of

O’Neill
Brown
Galbraith
Sotiriou
Be great if we could sign El Miz and/or Forde, both young players that have developed very well this season
Obiero has shown promise in the last two matches. Jury seems out on Sweeney, but I definitely think there is a player there and if anyone can develop him then RW is our man.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Re: Ollie O’Neill

Post by Top of the JES »

Don’t get too excited about Ruel.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

PKM wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:46 pm Well spotted by the club (Lingy?)
Kudos to Lingy for discovering him.....in the game he played against us in the mickey mouse cup. Amazing scouting.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Top of the JES wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:01 pm Don’t get too excited about Ruel.
sounds ominous.

Do you know something that we dont?
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

Top of the JES wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:01 pm Don’t get too excited about Ruel.
11 goals and 5 assists this season, seems a more than reasonable return. Not sure why he has so many detractors. Ok, he ain’t the perfect article, missed some sitters but least he was in the right place! I will be very happy to see Ruel here next season.
Seems a bit like Hector in terms of he had his detractors on here but has gone on to do well at Posh. Maybe Ruel needs to move on for his own development, who knows. Can’t be too many clubs where the leading marksman gets such a luke warm response. I think someone else described it as ‘marmite’ , maybe more apt.
RW loves him, that’s good enough for me. Two more years please Ruel.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

PKM wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:43 pm
11 goals and 5 assists this season, seems a more than reasonable return. Not sure why he has so many detractors. Ok, he ain’t the perfect article, missed some sitters but least he was in the right place! I will be very happy to see Ruel here next season.
Seems a bit like Hector in terms of he had his detractors on here but has gone on to do well at Posh. Maybe Ruel needs to move on for his own development, who knows. Can’t be too many clubs where the leading marksman gets such a luke warm response. I think someone else described it as ‘marmite’ , maybe more apt.
The problem with Ruel if he doesn't score he doesn't lead the line well and passing / link up play isn't great either. When we went on that good run when Agyei returned we looked a better side with Ruel on there bench instead of starting. As RW has said he's a great "super sub" but would you start him ahead of any of these?

Agyei upfront
O'Neill, Graham, Archibald or Forde out wide

If he's happy to sign knowing he'll be predominantly a bench player, be especially once we replace Pigott (hopefully) and Drinan's vacant role then great. However if he gets offers elsewhere his place in the squad here might not be so appealing.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

gshaw wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:40 pm
PKM wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:43 pm
The problem with Ruel if he doesn't score he doesn't lead the line well and passing / link up play isn't great either. When we went on that good run when Agyei returned we looked a better side with Ruel on there bench instead of starting. As RW has said he's a great "super sub" but would you start him ahead of any of these?

Agyei upfront
O'Neill, Graham, Archibald or Forde out wide

If he's happy to sign knowing he'll be predominantly a bench player, be especially once we replace Pigott (hopefully) and Drinan's vacant role then great. However if he gets offers elsewhere his place in the squad here might not be so appealing.
I think youre barmy, thinking Ruel will be a bench player next season. He will play most weeks from the start, and so he deserves to

He scores, he hassles oppo players, he has loads of energy, he can play in various different positions

Im concerned that he might not sign again, which if it happens, youll have your wish
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:00 pm I think youre barmy, thinking Ruel will be a bench player next season. He will play most weeks from the start, and so he deserves to
So, tell me which player you'd drop for him from the selection previously provided and also include Galbraith / Sanders in the 10 role (not counted Moncur as he's never fit enough to be in contention on a regular basis)

Personally I think a front 3 of O'Neill, Agyei and Graham has so much talent there I wouldn't swap any if they're all fit.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

If everyone else is fit and available, then of course he won’t start. But that doesn’t happen. He’ll have plenty of minutes here again next season.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:07 pm If everyone else is fit and available, then of course he won’t start. But that doesn’t happen. He’ll have plenty of minutes here again next season.
Hence what I said sub / squad player, not first choice starter and that's before we hopefully get some new strikers in over summer
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

He’s the worst footballer that is somewhat effective I have seen at Orient for a long while. I don’t care if he goes to be honest and no, he definitely shouldn’t be starting if those mentioned are fit and yes, we were a much better team when he was on the bench.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

You said it - you don't always have to be the best footballer to have an impact for your team.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

Beradogs wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:40 pm He’s the worst footballer that is somewhat effective I have seen at Orient for a long while. I don’t care if he goes to be honest and no, he definitely shouldn’t be starting if those mentioned are fit and yes, we were a much better team when he was on the bench.
Glad Ritchie is the manager!
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

gshaw wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:03 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:00 pm I think youre barmy, thinking Ruel will be a bench player next season. He will play most weeks from the start, and so he deserves to
So, tell me which player you'd drop for him from the selection previously provided and also include Galbraith / Sanders in the 10 role (not counted Moncur as he's never fit enough to be in contention on a regular basis)

Personally I think a front 3 of O'Neill, Agyei and Graham has so much talent there I wouldn't swap any if they're all fit.
Its a squad game & having only 14-15 players that do a job is why we fell short. This nonsense about starting or best 11's is why we will struggle for play offs. Ruel chipping in as 1 of 5 or 6 fit attacking squad players scoring a dozen puts us bang amongst the play offs & is the least of our worries
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:11 pm You said it - you don't always have to be the best footballer to have an impact for your team.
Here's the thing we've had those kind of impact players in our more successful sides e.g. Tehoué, Batt, Harrold

The trick imo is recognising those players for the strengths they bring and not trying to turn them into starters, which requires different qualities
Rubex Kube wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:49 pm

Its a squad game & having only 14-15 players that do a job is why we fell short. This nonsense about starting or best 11's is why we will struggle for play offs. Ruel chipping in as 1 of 5 or 6 fit attacking squad players scoring a dozen puts us bang amongst the play offs & is the least of our worries
And yet since our only "starter" quality striker (Agyei) got injured we suddenly looked toothless upfront again which as you say cost us the playoff push. That points to needing more quality coming in which would have the effect of pushing Ruel further down the pecking order.

Or our another way, if Pigott had been in any way useful to the side this season and Drinan not been injured for most of it how many minutes would Ruel have seen?
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

gshaw wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:51 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:11 pm You said it - you don't always have to be the best footballer to have an impact for your team.
Here's the thing we've had those kind of impact players in our more successful sides e.g. Tehoué, Batt, Harrold

The trick imo is recognising those players for the strengths they bring and not trying to turn them into starters, which requires different qualities

And yet since our only "starter" quality striker (Agyei) got injured we suddenly looked toothless upfront again which as you say cost us the playoff push. That points to needing more quality coming in which would have the effect of pushing Ruel further down the pecking order.

Or our another way, if Pigott had been in any way useful to the side this season and Drinan not been injured for most of it how many minutes would Ruel have seen?
No, I said Ruel being fit & getting 11 goals kept us in it so long. Take his goals away & wed be bottom 8. Agyei Pigott Theo & Graham scored how many goals this season exactly? Thats why we fell short. Ruel kept us in touch.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Rubex Kube wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:11 pm

No, I said Ruel being fit & getting 11 goals kept us in it so long. Take his goals away & wed be bottom 8. Agyei Pigott Theo & Graham scored how many goals this season exactly? Thats why we fell short. Ruel kept us in touch.
Ruel scores goals and puts in a lot of work putting defenders under pressure. When Matt Harrold brought Ruel back into the team after Kenny Jackett departed as manager, Ruels goals were one of the factors that helped Os climb away from the relegation zone and his goal scoring continued when Richie took over as the new manager. Much the same people who knock Ruel most of the time are much the same people as those who did not rate Hector when he was here and he has done very well since moving to the ''Posh'' Lastly another good thing about Ruel is that crossed fingers, he does not miss many games due to injury whereas some of the Os forward players that people rave about on both forums miss so many games due to recurring injuries !
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

You're not making any sense. It's not Ruels fault he's had to be more than an impact sub this season.

We are not going to have 2 Agyeis competing for the striker role.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:50 am
Ruel scores goals and puts in a lot of work putting defenders under pressure. When Matt Harrold brought Ruel back into the team after Kenny Jackett departed as manager, Ruels goals were one of the factors that helped Os climb away from the relegation zone and his goal scoring continued when Richie took over as the new manager. Much the same people who knock Ruel most of the time are much the same people as those who did not rate Hector when he was here and he has done very well since moving to the ''Posh'' Lastly another good thing about Ruel is that crossed fingers, he does not miss many games due to injury whereas some of the Os forward players that people rave about on both forums miss so many games due to recurring injuries !
Come on, I like Ruel and think he warrants a squad place here but he's not in the same class as Kyprianou.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Loads. I don't see how this is an argument for letting him go. He's covered for injuries on the wings, Moncur being unfit and Sanders being crocked, and for all our strikers being either injured or rubbish, or when we've had to go 2 up top (which is the system he's best in). He's one of our most versatile players, which is why we should keep him on.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:58 am
Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:50 am
Come on, I like Ruel and think he warrants a squad place here but he's not in the same class as Kyprianou.
They are two completely different footballers with different roles in a team. So i don't think you can make a comparison because of this.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Mistadobalina wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:09 am Loads. I don't see how this is an argument for letting him go. He's covered for injuries on the wings, Moncur being unfit and Sanders being crocked, and for all our strikers being either injured or rubbish, or when we've had to go 2 up top (which is the system he's best in). He's one of our most versatile players, which is why we should keep him on.
It's not an argument about letting him go, rather whether he would be happy staying to be that versatile squad player as opposed to first name on the team sheet in any particular position.

That all depends on what offers (if any) come in and how choosy the player can be as a result
Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:57 am
If we want to be pushing top 6 next season there absolutely needs to be. Even within the squad this season there were 3 players for that role, unfortunately 2 of them in Drinan and Pigott were miles off the required standard.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

gshaw wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:38 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:09 am Loads. I don't see how this is an argument for letting him go. He's covered for injuries on the wings, Moncur being unfit and Sanders being crocked, and for all our strikers being either injured or rubbish, or when we've had to go 2 up top (which is the system he's best in). He's one of our most versatile players, which is why we should keep him on.
It's not an argument about letting him go, rather whether he would be happy staying to be that versatile squad player as opposed to first name on the team sheet in any particular position.

That all depends on what offers (if any) come in and how choosy the player can be as a result
If we want to be pushing top 6 next season there absolutely needs to be. Even within the squad this season there were 3 players for that role, unfortunately 2 of them in Drinan and Pigott were miles off the required standard.
Pigott& Drinan scored more goals than Archibald & Graham. Should we be getting rid of those 2 as well?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Agyei was here as a winger initially, I believe. Drinnn was here as a striker, Piggot possibly here as a 10 listening to Richie’s early interviews. We need players that can play a number of different positions across the front line.

We won’t have 2 top L1 strikers competing for the number 9 role.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:53 pm

Agyei was here as a winger initially, I believe. Drinnn was here as a striker, Piggot possibly here as a 10 listening to Richie’s early interviews. We need players that can play a number of different positions across the front line.

We won’t have 2 top L1 strikers competing for the number 9 role.
We could have two top L1 strikers if only the owners would invest more. What could possibly go wrong?