Exiles thread - Exeter (H)

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

LPE
Fresh Alias

Re: Exiles thread - Exeter (H)

Post by LPE »

Conceding too many late goals this season have been very costly.

Barnsley, Lincoln and Exeter. Probably others.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Stan1972 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:26 am
Cheshunto wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:23 pm When Pigott was on the pitch it was a bit like 10 v 11 even then.
RW obviously made a few errors with the subs but probably thought by just defending our box we might hang on and still get a win. Anyway, it was all a bit meaningless but Exeter were a decent side who moved the ball around well and maybe deserved a point .
Obeiro again looked decent while Sweeney won’t come across much better than the Chelsea loanee he was marking.
For 66mins with Piggot on the pitch we were playing with 10 men, surely he won’t be an Orient player next season.
By far the worst No.9 I have ever seen in an Orient shirt.
The problem is if we don’t play Piggot (a L1/L2 player lacking in confidence who doesn’t fit our system), we have to play Edwards (a non league standard inexperienced kid).

Richie really has been shafted.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Richie said some players aren’t listening to instructions so gives us a decision for next year. Wonder who that is.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

I think Hunt and Sweeney are at risk. Piggot doesn’t fit the RW way, and looks to have gone the same way as Smith. I think he will keep Moncur. Desperate for a striker and El Miz and to get our wingers back fit.
Highwood Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Highwood Man »

Our performance in the last 20 minutes was just bizarre. We were only down to 10 men not 8. You have to keep some sort of shape in those circumstances and our shape was non-existent. Nine people on the edge of the penalty area with no outlet ball whatsoever. We just hoofed it up the park to nobody and, surprise surprise, it just came strike back again. Surely we must practice going down to 10 in training? It looked like we'd never played with a man short in our lives.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Highwood Man wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:17 am Our performance in the last 20 minutes was just bizarre. We were only down to 10 men not 8. You have to keep some sort of shape in those circumstances and our shape was non-existent. Nine people on the edge of the penalty area with no outlet ball whatsoever. We just hoofed it up the park to nobody and, surprise surprise, it just came strike back again. Surely we must practice going down to 10 in training? It looked like we'd never played with a man short in our lives.
Absolutely. I know easier said than done but surely Agyei stays up top to give the team an outball. We couldn’t keep the ball in a team of ball players. Ever so frustrating to watch. Enjoyed the game though, particularly first half.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

DrWindy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:00 am I think Hunt and Sweeney are at risk. Piggot doesn’t fit the RW way, and looks to have gone the same way as Smith. I think he will keep Moncur. Desperate for a striker and El Miz and to get our wingers back fit.
He definitely isn’t a Sweeney fan. I don’t get that, thought he was excellent again last night.

Moncur and Piggot have to go.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Highwood Man wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:17 am Our performance in the last 20 minutes was just bizarre. We were only down to 10 men not 8. You have to keep some sort of shape in those circumstances and our shape was non-existent. Nine people on the edge of the penalty area with no outlet ball whatsoever. We just hoofed it up the park to nobody and, surprise surprise, it just came strike back again. Surely we must practice going down to 10 in training? It looked like we'd never played with a man short in our lives.
We basically were down to 9 men with Moncur out there.

Ordinarily, if we’d had a red card, you’d take off Moncs and go 4-4-1. But you can’t line up in that formation with George out there.

The only alternative was to put George up top but even then, every clearance has to be directly at him.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:39 am
DrWindy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:00 am I think Hunt and Sweeney are at risk. Piggot doesn’t fit the RW way, and looks to have gone the same way as Smith. I think he will keep Moncur. Desperate for a striker and El Miz and to get our wingers back fit.
He definitely isn’t a Sweeney fan. I don’t get that, thought he was excellent again last night.

Moncur and Piggot have to go.
I genuinely don’t mind Sweeney. I just think if we want players to take us to the next level then he’s not it. My guess is RW wants a TJ type player who is comfortable on the ball and can defend. Sweeney has his strengths but he’s not going to take us to the Championship.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Sweeney is technically talented and is a good athlete so does well in 1-1s, but hes got a lot of learning to do on his decision making and positioning. I can see that annoying Wellens who is very much a systems guy.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Hes absolutely got the makings of a L1 standard full back. I’d have gone as back up all day long.

Accept that he’s not a Wellens type full back, tho.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:51 am Hes absolutely got the makings of a L1 standard full back. I’d have gone as back up all day long.

He’s a good defender. Offensively he’s poor. He’s reluctant to cross or play an attacking ball and when he does he more often than not hits the first defender. He has time to improve but he’s behind TJ and Rob Hunt currently I would think. I think he’s under threat as he can only play left full back. Time will tell.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Forward play is definitely improving - I hope he starts on Saturday.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

DrWindy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:59 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:51 am Hes absolutely got the makings of a L1 standard full back. I’d have gone as back up all day long.

He’s a good defender. Offensively he’s poor. He’s reluctant to cross or play an attacking ball and when he does he more often than not hits the first defender. He has time to improve but he’s behind TJ and Rob Hunt currently I would think. I think he’s under threat as he can only play left full back. Time will tell.
Blimey, I'd have gone the other way - he's better going forward than he is defending. He's decent 1 v 1 just because of his athleticism but I don't have him down as a natural defender; you don't see him covering round the centre backs as someone like Hunt would.

Agreed he's behind both TJ and Hunt and that he's limited by the roles he can play. (Although could do a job as wing back and LW, I guess).

I'd still keep him as a squad player. As with others, depends if he's happy with that at this stage of his career.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

RW talked about players with their contracts up end of season that we are 50/50 on.
I believe Sweeney & Moncs are under contract for next season.
Contracts up who played last night are Hunt, James, Obiero, Simpson & Soririou.
So assume RW was referring to Obiero, Hunt & James.
I think Obiero looks worth keeping. Hunt & James, depends if we can do better on our budget. Simpson , for his first full game in 8 months, looks good and can only improve from here with game time.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

James is definitely another one that infuriates Richie.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Hunt wasn’t at his best last night but I would be keeping him. TJ can be hot and cold but I would keep him too.

I am not sure I would go along with the belief that players under contract will automatically be here next season.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

DrWindy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:31 am Hunt wasn’t at his best last night but I would be keeping him. TJ can be hot and cold but I would keep him too.

I am not sure I would go along with the belief that players under contract will automatically be here next season.
I agree with that, thinking of Pigott and, to a lesser extent, Moncs. But RW did specifically say players at the end of their contracts, hence my post.
Players under contract, yes, we can try to shift them on, but ultimately that’s out of our control.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:30 am James is definitely another one that infuriates Richie.
Think it's more than James doesn't fulfill his obvious technical potential. How many lower leagues full backs are completely two footed, capable of scoring absolute bangers and have an incredible range of passing? But he is so lax at times and switches off way too often.

Reckon we try to keep him and Hunt, but sign another full back so that Galbraith isn't covering right back anymore.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

On our budget compromises have to be made.
TJ could well be one of those compromises.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

TJ at his best walks into the team. RW has to manage him in a way that makes him more consistent.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

He'll keep James, he is one the team playmakers, it's why Richie likes Ethan there too, he likes one of his full-backs to be able to spray the ball and step into midfield
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:40 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:30 am James is definitely another one that infuriates Richie.
Think it's more than James doesn't fulfill his obvious technical potential. How many lower leagues full backs are completely two footed, capable of scoring absolute bangers and have an incredible range of passing? But he is so lax at times and switches off way too often.

Reckon we try to keep him and Hunt, but sign another full back so that Galbraith isn't covering right back anymore.
It's that 'fight' that he's missing. Richie had that little bit of niggle as a player, he can't understand those that don't have it. It's why he loves Ruel and has question marks over TJ, Sweeney, even Happe.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

I don't know if thats 100% true Hoover, but I know why you say it. He's had TJ and Hunt at previous clubs and neither has real niggle about them, so he must appreciate their abilities.