Broadband options

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Broadband options

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Hello all

I spent an hour in the phone to BT today trying to review my broadband arrangements. I’m on what they call Halo and have no TV or anything but up till now my £70 a month includes landline which used to be compulsory.

I had looked on line and see that BT does a broadband only deal for new customers for 29.99 a month on an 18 month contract. When I called BT they said this was only for new customers and after keeping me on the phone for ages finally came back with a revised monthly tariff of £58. This is purely for broadband - no tv and no landline.
I thought this was manifestly unfair - charging existing customers 40% more than new ones so I served notice to quit.
I now have a month in which to find an alternative broadband supplier and would be grateful for any advice as to where I should go for a good and reliable deal.
I live in Woodford Green

Thanks a lot for any help or advice you can provide me with.
Cheers
CF
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Broadband options

Post by Long slender neck »

Apart from Virgin, it all goes through the same Openreach infrastructure i believe. You may be able to get a deal through your mobile network provider.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:36 pm Hello all

I spent an hour in the phone to BT today trying to review my broadband arrangements. I’m on what they call Halo and have no TV or anything but up till now my £70 a month includes landline which used to be compulsory.

I had looked on line and see that BT does a broadband only deal for new customers for 29.99 a month on an 18 month contract. When I called BT they said this was only for new customers and after keeping me on the phone for ages finally came back with a revised monthly tariff of £58. This is purely for broadband - no tv and no landline.
I thought this was manifestly unfair - charging existing customers 40% more than new ones so I served notice to quit.
I now have a month in which to find an alternative broadband supplier and would be grateful for any advice as to where I should go for a good and reliable deal.
I live in Woodford Green

Cheers
CF
That's disgraceful Fred.
I've had Virgin for 3 years, (broadband only) and it crept up to £38 (from an initial £24)- - then they said it was going up to £54

No way I am paying that, so I said I was leaving immediately.

After some to-ing and fro-ing they dropped it to £26 for 2 years..

They just try it on, to see who puts their hand up.
They won't let you leave, ordinarily- - get a figure from a competitor you can quote to them and they should adjust down.
Broadband should not cost more than £30 a month.
Three do it for about £12, though granted that is via a 4G/5G signal so may not be as reliable as fixed broadband..

I need steady broadband for work (who doesn't ) otherwise I'd have jumped to Three.
Also, take note of the contract expiry date and set a reminder for 1 month prior. (this is when they'll advise of the "new" contract price), and jump on the phone to them then.

However- you need to be prepared to leave (your current provider) before you get on the phone. Play hardball. £25 a month to them is better than £0
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

I live in Woodford Green

Cheers
CF
I thought the practice of only offering “best deals” to new customers had been made unlawful. Use a comparison site to narrow down your choice.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

That might just be for insurance
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

We pay £28 for broadband only, but also have very limited choice who we use as our block has OFNL.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Long slender neck wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:05 pm That might just be for insurance
OK but you would think it could be applied to other areas principle is the same.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

I have a BT land line ( I don't use it a lot ) and BT internet ( unlimited data ) at home £38 per month.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

Had talktalk for a couple of years now & only £24
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Don't know if they are active in Woodford Green CF but Gigaclear have just posted a deal for Superfast (200) 18 month Contract £17 or Ultrafast (500) 18 months £22, includes router and 1 mesh extender also have cheap landline deals.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Just cancel your bt and they’ll probably offer you a deal to get back. I’ve had sky, virgin and bt broadband and bt is easily the most reliable and cheapest
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

I live in Woodford Green

Cheers
CF
That seems strange. We just moved and are paying 25 pounds for broadband only and we were existing customers.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Fresh Alias

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Was with TalkTalk paying £23.99 a month. This was going up to £32.94 a month at end of contract. Was offered a new contract at £26 a month. Terminated contract and signed up with Vodaphone, for £26 a month, plus £70 Tesco Voucher and £50 cash back from Topcashback/Uswitch. Was rung a few days later by TalkTalk retentions and was offered £23 a month plus a £130 Voucher. Cancelled Vodaphone during calling off period and stayed with TalkTalk. No hassle of changing kit. Did similar 18 months ago, just ludicrous you have to cancel and leave before they come up with the decent offer.