Players who we don’t need any more

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Players who we don’t need any more

Post by The Reverend »

In no particular order. Realise some of these are loanees, in which case I’m saying “I hope you had fun here, but we won’t be needing you next season”.

1. Moncur - given he must be one of the highest earners at the club, a handful of decent halves of football over the course of a season is simply not good enough. Down to the lower echelons of League 2 with him, where he can eek out a living whilst he retrains for a post playing career as a member of the clergy

2. Pigott - can’t run, can’t shoot, can’t hold the ball up, can pass, can’t press. Looked like he’s just finished the London Marathon after 30 mins on the pitch. A complete disaster of a centre forward. I’d honestly suggest paying up his contract and getting him gone on a free, as I really can’t see anyone paying a fee for him. But then again, somebody did pay for Drinan. Get on the blower to Swindon and ask if they want a CF.

3. Jack Simpson - No idea why we signed a racist in the first place. I hope the club sees sense and quietly releases him with a grand total of 0 appearances for the Os and we all forget that this misjudged move ever happened

4. Sol Brynn - Not reliable enough. And we have no suitable back up. Need an experienced goalie for next season or some sort of future super star loan from a Premier League club if we continue down the borrowing players route.

5. Edwards & Abu-Adjeyei - nowhere near ready for League 2 football. If I were their parent clubs I’d be scoping out the closest Conference South teams to get theses boys some game time at a suitable level

6. Adam Thompson - released
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Players who we don’t need any more

Post by gshaw »

Agree with that with exception of Simpson, need to see him play which I think should be the case from next week on?

Somewhat outside this list but a question is what to make of Sotiriou, on one hand some will point to double digit goals this season but on the other hand he's not happy being a bit-part player yet RW doesn't seem him as a first choice striker. We looked a better side when Agyei came in and Ruel dropped to the bench imo.

Similarly he wouldn't get in first XI out wide ahead of Graham / Archibald / O'Neill and isn't that effective at CAM either. Would both parties be better off going their separate ways come summer? If not where does he fit in the side?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Bit daft to suggest releasing Simpson without seeing him play.

But otherwise, yeah. Piggot and Moncur will both find L2 takers but might require a pay off to subsidise their drop in wages.

I was prepared to give Adjei 2 the benefit of the doubt but after today, nah. He’s as off the pace as Edwards was.

I thought Thompson had already gone?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

gshaw wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:52 pm Agree with that with exception of Simpson, need to see him play which I think should be the case from next week on?

Somewhat outside this list but a question is what to make of Sotiriou, on one hand some will point to double digit goals this season but on the other hand he's not happy being a bit-part player yet RW doesn't seem him as a first choice striker. We looked a better side when Agyei came in and Ruel dropped to the bench imo.

Similarly he wouldn't get in first XI out wide ahead of Graham / Archibald / O'Neill and isn't that effective at CAM either. Would both parties be better off going their separate ways come summer? If not where does he fit in the side?
Would happily have him here as cover. Depends if he’s happy with that or would rather be first choice at Col Utd or somewhere similar?
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

My vote:

The buffoon who sits at the back of the TJS who spent the bulk of the game berating our keeper and or screaming “Go to him!” whenever PU attacked … as he does every week TBH.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Hoover Attack wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 pm
gshaw wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:52 pm Agree with that with exception of Simpson, need to see him play which I think should be the case from next week on?

Would happily have him here as cover. Depends if he’s happy with that or would rather be first choice at Col Utd or somewhere similar?
That's my take too, as RW said a "super sub" to throw on for a touch of the unexpected. Whether Ruel goes for that will perhaps be dependent on if he gets other offers come summer.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I agree with the OP but yeah, I'd like to see Simpson play first before we bin him off . Whether we should have signed him or not is all on the Simpson thread but since we did sign I'd like to see what he can do . As for Pigott he should be the first one out the door in the Summer .
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Ruel and Happe if decent offers come in I’d take them,get rid of Sweeney, Pigott , Moncur and Hunt.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Monkey Boy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:10 pm Ruel and Happe if decent offers come in I’d take them,get rid of Sweeney, Pigott , Moncur and Hunt.
I agree except I would keep Sweeney and Hunt.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:12 pm
Monkey Boy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:10 pm Ruel and Happe if decent offers come in I’d take them,get rid of Sweeney, Pigott , Moncur and Hunt.
Sweeney imo is not strong enough for this league and i don’t think Wellens does otherwise he would be a regular,same for Hunt.I’m not to sure about Graham and Theo. Not because there not good enough but not sure if they can come back from there injuries. The club operate on a tight budget and a fairly small squad,can we afford to carry players that won’t possibly play for most of next season?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Wrong (as normal).

Question has already been correctly answered above.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Hoover Attack wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:29 am
Wrong (as normal).

Question has already been correctly answered above.
Right so your the message board police,didn’t know? Pedantic (as usual)
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Maybe controversial, but Beckles. Seems to make more mistakes as he gets older.
Stamford O
Fresh Alias

Post by Stamford O »

Think Tom James needs to move on
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Forde?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Ruel, Happe, Hunt and James are all out of contract at the end of the season. Although we have an option of another year on Happe.
Ruel has been watched by Peterborough several times this season and tbh honest I think it’s time for most of those to move on.

Sweeney, Moncur and Pigott all have another 12 months so unless we can sell them or find a club willing to take over the final year of their contract will be expensive to let them move on, they would be entitled to have their contracts paid up in full.

After doing well up to the last few weeks Forde has looked off the pace and disinterested in recent games perhaps it’s more fatigue than anything and the two loan kids are nowhere near ready.

I think depending on who goes we need:- an experienced permanent goalkeeper, a right back, a left back a central defender a goal scoring midfielder, a right sided winger and two strikers……..oh and if we can Idris permanently.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Monkey Boy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:27 am
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:12 pm
Sweeney imo is not strong enough for this league and i don’t think Wellens does otherwise he would be a regular,same for Hunt.I’m not to sure about Graham and Theo. Not because there not good enough but not sure if they can come back from there injuries. The club operate on a tight budget and a fairly small squad,can we afford to carry players that won’t possibly play for most of next season?

Very often though and particularly with knees players come back from injury stronger than before although Happe is an exception to that and why I would not take up the option of another year on his contract.
georgeleyo
Fresh Alias

Post by georgeleyo »

Sweeney???? Did you not watch the game yesterday? Best player on the pitch for the Orient?.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Story of O wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:05 am Maybe controversial, but Beckles. Seems to make more mistakes as he gets older.
Beckles' main problem is overplaying it.

Sounds harsh but I think he thinks he's better on the ball than he actually is.

If he sticks to the basics he's perfectly fine.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

o-no wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:10 am
Story of O wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:05 am Maybe controversial, but Beckles. Seems to make more mistakes as he gets older.
Beckles' main problem is overplaying it.

Sounds harsh but I think he thinks he's better on the ball than he actually is.

If he sticks to the basics he's perfectly fine.
He was immense during our best period of the season - and those two things are connected. He's a perfectly good Lg1 CB, but neither him nor Cooper can play much football, and that's what Wellens wants them to do.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Monkey Boy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:27 am The club operate on a tight budget and a fairly small squad
Neither of these things are really true.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

georgeleyo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:49 am Sweeney???? Did you not watch the game yesterday? Best player on the pitch for the Orient?.
Yes I did actually and I’ve watched him all season when he’s played,apart from one cross that admittedly we scored from(great finish btw) did you by chance see the corner he took in the second half. His crossing is generally poor and he struggles because of his physicality. He often passes sideways or backwards,he’s not pro active imo. He plays one good game and several poor ones. Like I said if he was that good he would be first choice and he’s not.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

OyinbO wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:25 am
Monkey Boy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:27 am The club operate on a tight budget and a fairly small squad
I’m afraid they do. Fact.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Monkey Boy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:30 am
OyinbO wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:25 am
I’m afraid they do. Fact.
We have a top 10 budget for this division, and only 8 clubs in it have larger squads than us.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Sweeney played ok yesterday, but overall he's not league 1 standard, and if it were up to me, I wouldn't offer him a contract.
Pigott is truly awful, but I don't know who would want him... We may be stuck with him for another year.
I wouldn't want Happe either, simply because he's injury prone. Three successive seasons he's had a serious injury.
Sotiriou, I would offer a contract to, but he needs to play as a striker all the time .
I think we need to sign quite a few in the summer of decent quality.