Peter Bennett

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Peter Bennett

Post by cockhat »

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned that he’s died.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Peter Bennett

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Very sad to hear this. Also, I was very surprised that no one on here seemed to mention the passing of Malcolm Lucas.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

To be fair, both have been mentioned on the "Births Deaths And Marriages" thread.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:48 pm Very sad to hear this. Also, I was very surprised that no one on here seemed to mention the passing of Malcolm Lucas.
Lee, Lucas and Bishop, the best half back line I’d ever seen play for us.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Agree, but you said it in the wrong order...to give it more of a ring it was always known as; Lucas Bishop, Lea !!
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

I know Bennett was versatile, but what was his best position?
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

I only recall him as a right half. In todays formations I think a holding midfielder...I think.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Interesting. In 71/72 he used the 4,5,6 and 10 shirt.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

We lost 2-0 at home to Sheffield United back in the day and I recall Peter Bennett doing his best to get us back in the game. But he still smiling and didn’t look as crushed by defeat as 10 year old me would have liked.
That day I realised that football is not and never should be a matter of life and death. You can get beat but still keep your humour
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Bergen wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:44 pm I know Bennett was versatile, but what was his best position?
Peter Bennett was a midfielder at West Ham but played as a centre back alongside Terry Mancini when he first arrived at the O’s and stayed in that position ( alongside Paul Harris) after Mancini left. After a very serious groin injury sustained in the 72/73 season he was out for almost 18 months and by the time he returned Phil Hoadley and Tom Walley were the established centre back pair. Bennett reverted to midfield and later also had a short run of 3 or 4 games at centre forward - during which time he scored against both Luton (2) and Millwall in O’s victories. He was a genuinely good footballer wherever he played for us and he always gave 100% . Hard to ask for anymore than that! RIP Peter.
timothy
Fresh Alias

Post by timothy »

redintheface wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am
Bergen wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:44 pm I know Bennett was versatile, but what was his best position?
Peter Bennett was a midfielder at West Ham but played as a centre back alongside Terry Mancini when he first arrived at the O’s and stayed in that position ( alongside Paul Harris) after Mancini left. After a very serious groin injury sustained in the 72/73 season he was out for almost 18 months and by the time he returned Phil Hoadley and Tom Walley were the established centre back pair. Bennett reverted to midfield and later also had a short run of 3 or 4 games at centre forward - during which time he scored against both Luton (2) and Millwall in O’s victories. He was a genuinely good footballer wherever he played for us and he always gave 100% . Hard to ask for anymore than that! RIP Peter.
Nice post red. Hopefully a minutes applause/silence on Monday. It would be nice to show our appreciation.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

timothy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am
redintheface wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am
Nice post red. Hopefully a minutes applause/silence on Monday. It would be nice to show our appreciation.
Agreed - let’s hope the club feel the same.👍
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

...and if there is a minutes applause let's hope they double up with Mal Lucas.