Hearts friendly accommodation advice

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

LPE
Fresh Alias

Hearts friendly accommodation advice

Post by LPE »

Looking for some guidance please as I know there are some Scottish O’s on here.

I’ve only visited Edinburgh as a child so have no geographical knowledge of the city. Going to book airbnb this week but looking for tips on where is good to stay but not on the Royal Mile. Ideally a decent neighbourhood no more than 15 minutes from the main action.

Would love to have a few nice non-touristy boozers to tick off so pub recommendations would also be most welcome. (We’ll tick off the Oxford (big Rankin fan) and Gravediggers but some traditional Scotch houses would also be great.

TIA.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Hearts friendly accommodation advice

Post by Give it to Jabo »

The Ox is a great pub. Nothing like I imagined from the Rebus novels - is that the fault of Rankin the writer, or me the reader? Me, I reckon.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

LPE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:07 am Looking for some guidance please as I know there are some Scottish O’s on here.

I’ve only visited Edinburgh as a child so have no geographical knowledge of the city. Going to book airbnb this week but looking for tips on where is good to stay but not on the Royal Mile. Ideally a decent neighbourhood no more than 15 minutes from the main action.

Would love to have a few nice non-touristy boozers to tick off so pub recommendations would also be most welcome. (We’ll tick off the Oxford (big Rankin fan) and Gravediggers but some traditional Scotch houses would also be great.

TIA.
Hi. I've lived in Edinburgh for about 16 years now so have a little local knowledge. You're right about not wanting to be on the Royal Mile so I'd suggest either somewhere in the New Town area (uphill walks to the City Centre or possibly the Newington area - lots of b and b's there. Have you considered the new Tynecastle Hotel? Places are likely to be quite pricey.

Now. Pubs. All of these are no more than 10 minutes walk from Princes Street

The Bow Bar on Victoria Street. A bit of a cheat as it looks older than it actually is (reconstructed in the 1980's, I think) but it's a cracker anyway
The Blue Blazer on Spittal Street. A classic traditional pub. Usually a decent selection of ales and a big range of whisky.
Bennetts Pub on Leven Street. Again an old school boozer. Stained glass is nice.
Robertsons (No.37 Bar). Based at 37 Rose St so right in the heart of town but not really touristy. If you like old fashioned unnreconstructed boozers this is the one for you.

Pre game (these are 10/15 minutes from Princes St) - You already know about The Diggers
Ryries - On the corner of Gorgie Road and Haymarket station. Very much a Hearts pub so likely to be busy before the game
Caley Sample Room - Angle Park Terrace. Fairly modern but looks traditional. Does decent food.
The Roseburn Bar on Roseburn Terrace. A nice traditional bar near Murrayfield Stadium, about a 10 minute walk to the ground. Again likely to be busy before the game.

Hope these help.

Also if this is your thing the Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival starts on Friday 12th July and goes on for a week - https://ejbf.co.uk/
Last edited by EH16 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

I've seen One Day, just be careful crossing the road.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Your best bet is to stay in Glasgow and travel through on match day.
PastryChwfJames
Fresh Alias

Post by PastryChwfJames »

Go to Kircaldy
Only 20 minutes past Edingburgh & on
The main line to London.
Place isn't the nicest but it'll be cheap
Stamford O
Fresh Alias

Post by Stamford O »

4 of us Staying in riccarton Saturday night as was only £63 a night and short train journey in and then into Edinburgh Sunday night
Last edited by Stamford O on Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Wouldn’t mind going to this but not sure I can bare all the patriotics and war guff…
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

Hi. I've lived in Edinburgh for about 16 years now so have a little local knowledge. You're right about not wanting to be on the Royal Mile so I'd suggest either somewhere in the New Town area (uphill walks to the City Centre or possibly the Newington area - lots of b and b's there. Have you considered the new Tynecastle Hotel? Places are likely to be quite pricey.

Now. Pubs. All of these are no more than 10 minutes walk from Princes Street

The Bow Bar on Victoria Street. A bit of a cheat as it looks older than it actually is (reconstructed in the 1980's, I think) but it's a cracker anyway
The Blue Blazer on Spittal Street. A classic traditional pub. Usually a decent selection of ales and a big range of whisky.
Bennetts Pub on Leven Street. Again an old school boozer. Stained glass is nice.
Robertsons (No.37 Bar). Based at 37 Rose St so right in the heart of town but not really touristy. If you like old fashioned unnreconstructed boozers this is the one for you.

Pre game (these are 10/15 minutes from Princes St) - You already know about The Diggers
Ryries - On the corner of Gorgie Road and Haymarket station. Very much a Hearts pub so likely to be busy before the game
Caley Sample Room - Angle Park Terrace. Fairly modern but looks traditional. Does decent food.
The Roseburn Bar on Roseburn Terrace. A nice traditional bar near Murrayfield Stadium, about a 10 minute walk to the ground. Again likely to be busy before the game.

Hope these help.

Also if this is your thing the Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival starts on Friday 12th July and goes on for a week - https://ejbf.co.uk/
[/quote]

Superb intel. I’m very grateful. Thanks.

The pub info especially as that is a huge part of the trip (I’m a pub writer) so looking forward to exploring what Edinburgh has to offer.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

PastryChwfJames wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:04 pm Go to Kircaldy
The main line to London.
Nearer 40 minutes. The rest of the post is fairly accurate. Do NOT stay at the Beveridge Park hotel.
PastryChwfJames
Fresh Alias

Post by PastryChwfJames »

StillSpike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:55 pm
PastryChwfJames wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:04 pm Go to Kircaldy
The main line to London.
Nearer 40 minutes. The rest of the post is fairly accurate. Do NOT stay at the Beveridge Park hotel.
Lol
I was snagging a woman up there &
The last station always flew by 😁
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

It’s been a while, but a couple of Guinness and one of their famed meat pies should see one rendered immobile….

https://thomsonsbaredinburgh.co.uk/contact/