Ratings v Oxford

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Ratings v Oxford

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Not usually a task I would take on, but here goes

Brynn 7 - Didn't have a great deal to do but I was impressed by his constant attempts to get the Os going forward via fast distribution of the ball by throw or kick out. Shame the match officials ignored Oxford's repreated obstruction tactics in our penalty area which often thwarted Brynn's attempts to send the ball forward

Galbraith 8 - Great on the ball and at beating the man. For a lttle fellow he's also good in the air. A real find.

Beckles 7 Had a couple of routine nervy moments but otherwise played well

Cooper 7 Has great ability to pick out a pass but I think he was absent when Oxford had acres of space to get down the wing and score with practically their first attack. Booked

James 7 - Possibly responsible for Oxford's goal but made some first class tackles in defence and always looks comfortable on the ball. Unlucky with free kick

Pratley 7 Did what he does making midfield a bit of a no-go area for Oxford. For an elderly gentleman he did a lot of running back and forth

El Mizoumi 9 MOM - Had a great game and bossed the field. Some temendous runs and incisive passing. Harshly booked

Forde 7 Caused Oxford a lot of problems. Thought he played for a penalty - but I think most people in the ground felt that Forde was fouled and the Os ought to have had a penalty just before half time. Referee thought otherwise (see below). Forde seemed physically exhausted after the hour mark but over all he played well

Moncur 8 A great goal and a 90 minute performance. Show's what the man is capable of but regrettably rarely delivers.

O'Niell 9 Another great signing. This boy has a very promising future. A cool shot for equaliser plus assist for Moncur's winner. O'Niell seems to elevate players around him - such as El Mizoumi. Booked after a foul that ought to have resulted in Oxford player's dismissal for kicking out.

Sotiriou 7 - I thought he had a quiet game

Subs

Hunt 6 - Did his job
Edwards/Sanders - not on long enough to comment about

Referee - It said in Oxford program that this was his final game as an official. I think he was poor - too easily booking our players for innocuous fouls whilst allowing some onfeld brutality for Oxford to go unpunished even to the extent of whistling for a foul. Should have booked the player obstructing Brynn that lead to Wellens sending off

Wellens 7 - only marked down for being sent off again

I went yesterday because I was utterly convinced we would beat Oxford. But the Os exceeded my expectations with a thoroughly impressive performance as we dominated the game throughout.
Last edited by ContrifibulatoryFred on Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Ratings v Oxford

Post by Orient Punxx »

It was O’Neill that the Oxford player kicked out on.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Ah thanks - My eyesight let me down there!
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Good ratings.

It was Pratleys man that ran in behind James after Cooper, Beckles and James all got pulled in. Galbraith didn’t cover himself in glory either but then again, he’s not really a defender (although is filling in as a footballing full back superbly).

Great to see Moncur looking fit at last. The best part about his goal wasn’t driving into the box at players and curling the ball into the net, we know he can do that. It was the sprint into space to force the pass to him in the first place. He’s so much more dangerous when able to do that rather than receiving the ball to feet, generally with back to goal.

It’s hard to blame Richie for the sending off. I’m not sure how anyone is expected to accept such inept refereeing. It was so clearly a foul on Brynn.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

Love to read the ratings, thanks.
We’ve got some great young players who are only going to get better, Galbraith, O’Neill, Brown. And we’ve had 2 seasons out of El Miz. Be great if we could sign him, but probably a lot of competition for him, deservedly so.
I’d written Moncs off, but he looks fit, sharp and one of our best players now. Long May that continue.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:12 am Good ratings.

It was Pratleys man that ran in behind James after Cooper, Beckles and James all got pulled in. Galbraith didn’t cover himself in glory either but then again, he’s not really a defender (although is filling in as a footballing full back superbly).

Great to see Moncur looking fit at last. The best part about his goal wasn’t driving into the box at players and curling the ball into the net, we know he can do that. It was the sprint into space to force the pass to him in the first place. He’s so much more dangerous when able to do that rather than receiving the ball to feet, generally with back to goal.

It’s hard to blame Richie for the sending off. I’m not sure how anyone is expected to accept such inept refereeing. It was so clearly a foul on Brynn.
You touched on it with your fitness comment, but I’d argue that the best thing about Moncur’s goal is that it came in the 77th minute of a match he started in. The guy would hardly manage 30 mins of competitive football about 2 months ago. What a turnaround. Deserves massive credit.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

The Reverend wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:25 pm

You touched on it with your fitness comment, but I’d argue that the best thing about Moncur’s goal is that it came in the 77th minute of a match he started in. The guy would hardly manage 30 mins of competitive football about 2 months ago. What a turnaround. Deserves massive credit.
Somewhat of a mystery as to why he has not been in the starting lineup for most of this season ? Was it lack of fitness, an injury or any other unknown reason, we shall probably never know what the answer is ?
RBMarshall
Fresh Alias

Post by RBMarshall »

I'm a massive fan of Galbraith and certainly would start him, but he does show that Bauldry like quality of looking like a Premiership player for 89 minutes and a Conference league South Player for 1 minute.
I know he's young but it's a cool head and awareness he needs to work on. Hope he pays O'Neils fine for that pass. On another day, a yellow card so early could have ended in disaster for the young man and the team.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

That's right it's not really Richies fault. Besides, at the end of the day it's just passion..
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

All credit to Moncur. It is always strange to unlock what can effect a player's form.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

Think it was mentioned on another thread that Moncs took a long time to get over Covid.
Could he have been suffering from long covid?
Not sure that explains what has been some turn around.
Looks a different player now.
Long may that continue.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:34 pm

Somewhat of a mystery as to why he has not been in the starting lineup for most of this season ? Was it lack of fitness, an injury or any other unknown reason, we shall probably never know what the answer is ?
George claims he’s doing nothing different, it’s just been God’s way of testing his faith. But it’s noticeable that the puerile antics with the shirt raising seem to have stopped.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I'm only purely speculating here but I wonder if George has been suffering with long covid . I know he had covid fairly badly so I'm wondering if he's only getting over it now .Maybe that's why he's struggled for fitness . If I'm actually right than hopefully yesterday is a sign George is getting back to his best .
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

PKM wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:50 pm Think it was mentioned on another thread that Moncs took a long time to get over Covid.
Could he have been suffering from long covid?
Not sure that explains what has been some turn around.
Looks a different player now.
Long may that continue.
Ah, I've only just seen this post . You beat me to it . Anyway I think long covid is a plausible explanation.
Mickys Bullock
Fresh Alias

Post by Mickys Bullock »

Long Covid what a load of Botox

It just shows how good the propaganda machine is. Military grade psyop doing its job.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

I know someone who lost almost two years of their life to long COVID and barely being able to get out of bed. Kindly go do one.

Moncur, if fit and form, makes us a much better attacking team, simple as that. He speeds everything up, he makes us less predictable as he'll pop up anywhere in the final third, his ball retention is incredible. Only hesitation about depending on him for next season is that he sort of did this last year, looking fitter and more on it towards the end of the season. And then he was clearly in awful shape at beginning of this one.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:00 pm Only hesitation about depending on him for next season is that he sort of did this last year, looking fitter and more on it towards the end of the season. And then he was clearly in awful shape at beginning of this one.
This, along with avoiding teams with awful pitches are the kind of percentage improvements that need to be made this pre-season to get us off on a better footing come August.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

[##] he

Valid point.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:00 pm
Moncur, if fit and form, makes us a much better attacking team, simple as that. He speeds everything up, he makes us less predictable as he'll pop up anywhere in the final third, his ball retention is incredible. Only hesitation about depending on him for next season is that he sort of did this last year, looking fitter and more on it towards the end of the season. And then he was clearly in awful shape at beginning of this one.
Much better attacking team but a much worse defensive team.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Cooper showed his balling abilities yesterday with at least 3 passes that dissected the midfield. Having Big George there to receive showed both players off in a really good light.

Really pleased we got the win we deserved. Even a draw would have been rough justice. Everyone played their part and whilst we can critique their goal it was actually a bloody good move. Likewise our first goal was just too good for the opposition to stop.

A real solid performance from a very good team yesterday.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

LittleMate wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:36 pm Cooper showed his balling abilities yesterday with at least 3 passes that dissected the midfield. Having Big George there to receive showed both players off in a really good light.

Really pleased we got the win we deserved. Even a draw would have been rough justice. Everyone played their part and whilst we can critique their goal it was actually a bloody good move. Likewise our first goal was just too good for the opposition to stop.

Agree about their goal - very good move.

Disagree about our first goal - they had ample opportunity to clear, if we’d conceded that I’d be fuming.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

RBMarshall wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:40 pm I'm a massive fan of Galbraith and certainly would start him, but he does show that Bauldry like quality of looking like a Premiership player for 89 minutes and a Conference league South Player for 1 minute.
I know he's young but it's a cool head and awareness he needs to work on. Hope he pays O'Neils fine for that pass. On another day, a yellow card so early could have ended in disaster for the young man and the team.
Premiership player for 89 minutes and a Conference league South Player for 1 minute.

I’ll take that split every game, all season 👍
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

LittleMate wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:36 pm Cooper showed his balling abilities yesterday with at least 3 passes that dissected the midfield. Having Big George there to receive showed both players off in a really good light.

Nobody does it better than Tom James when it comes to defence splitting first time passes. He did it for the ElMizouni goal against Port Vale and again yesterday.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

B.whitehouse+10more wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:31 am
Nobody does it better than Tom James when it comes to defence splitting first time passes. He did it for the ElMizouni goal against Port Vale and again yesterday.
That was one hell of a pass from TJ for the Port Vale goal. What was the one yesterday?

Agreed that Cooper deserves credit for his passing yesterday. The first time passes into El Miz and Moncs to bypass midfield and launch 2 attacks were quality.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Moncur does split people’s opinion on here. There’s no doubt there’s a player in there but he just hasn’t turned up for long periods of the season, we the supporters are not privy to the reasons why he goes off the boil. What I would say it’s the sole responsibility of the coach to get the best out of the team and every player in the club. Does he start to perform at the back end of the season because he wants to stay or play for a new contract, I don’t know, however like I said it’s down to the manager to sort that one out.