All aboard the Lioness Line

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

All aboard the Lioness Line

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Change at the next station for Suffragette and Windrush line services

Guess TFL aren’t broke any more

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transpo ... 39198.html
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: All aboard the Lioness Line

Post by EliotNes »

Interesting take on the Upminster to Romford Line - the Liberty Line -
"According to TfL, it is named "to reference the historical independence of the people of the borough of Havering", through which it runs, as well as the celebrating "a defining feature of London"."

:roll: :roll:
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

I know a fair few people are saying "LOL this is great cos all the usual suspects will be REALLY mad about this" - and it seems some of them are - but come on, some of these names are really cringe.

I understand the rationale for making the lines more individually identifiable as they cover a wide area and being lumped together as the orange line wasn't always particularly helpful but just go with stuff that says where they go to/through/from.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

I just don’t see the need, the overground isn’t that hard to navigate and it says on every train and every platform which branch you’re getting on.

The names are double cringe but I can’t say I’m surprised, it’s very in keeping with the gesture politics over substance I’ve come to expect.

On a personal point, I’m colourblind so adding more colours to an already congested map is annoying
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

It will always be the Goblin Line and The East London Line to me.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

There were already perfectly fine names in (sort of) use (Goblin line, Lea Valley line etc).
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Probably vote for Khan as he's less of a pr!ck than Starmer and the Tory alternative is terrifying but it's very difficult to justify the huge expense on this at a time when the Central line is absolutely jiggered and he's making travel free on Fridays. Seems a real misstep.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

What a complete waste of money.
Surely £6 million would be better used reducing fares.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

EliotNes wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:16 pm Interesting take on the Upminster to Romford Line - the Liberty Line -
"According to TfL, it is named "to reference the historical independence of the people of the borough of Havering", through which it runs, as well as the celebrating "a defining feature of London"."

https://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/ ... erty-line/
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:28 pm Probably vote for Khan as he's less of a pr!ck than Starmer and the Tory alternative is terrifying but it's very difficult to justify the huge expense on this at a time when the Central line is absolutely jiggered and he's making travel free on Fridays. Seems a real misstep.
The Central line’s issues aren’t Khan’s fault
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

BiggsyMalone wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:15 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:28 pm Probably vote for Khan as he's less of a pr!ck than Starmer and the Tory alternative is terrifying but it's very difficult to justify the huge expense on this at a time when the Central line is absolutely jiggered and he's making travel free on Fridays. Seems a real misstep.
The Central line’s issues aren’t Khan’s fault
I didn't say they were, he gets blamed for all sorts of ridiculous things that aren't his fault. But the fact is TfL are spending this money when it's arguably needed more urgently elsewhere and it's a bad look which his opponents will undoubtedly exploit.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

cockhat wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:34 pm What a complete waste of money.
Tfl can do this, even though they are complaining that income is down because passenger numbers are still not at pre-Covid levels, and because of the drop in income they can't find the money to paint Hornchurch station (or Elm Park, or Upminster Bridge). Gesture politics to try and get a few votes in the May elections.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Here is an idea why don’t they keep it just the way it is,this country‘s history is slowly being a eradicated with stupid ideas such as ULEZ and spending money on irrelevant things( like this)that don’t need tampering with.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Monkey Boy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:04 pm Here is an idea why don’t they keep it just the way it is,this country‘s history is slowly being a eradicated with stupid ideas such as ULEZ and spending money on irrelevant things( like this)that don’t need tampering with.
How is ulez eradicating our country's history?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

£6m wouldn't go far, there are 4 million tube journeys a day. So you'd give people £1 off for er...a day and a bit?
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:12 pm
Monkey Boy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:04 pm Here is an idea why don’t they keep it just the way it is,this country‘s history is slowly being a eradicated with stupid ideas such as ULEZ and spending money on irrelevant things( like this)that don’t need tampering with.
Dunno just thought I’d throw it in the mix🫢
ChorizO
Fresh Alias

Post by ChorizO »

Monkey Boy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:21 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:12 pm
Dunno just thought I’d throw it in the mix🫢
Are you confusing ULEZ with the LGBT agenda?

Just thought I’d throw that into the mix.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Can we replace the East London line with the East, East, East London line please?
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:14 pm
£6m wouldn't go far, there are 4 million tube journeys a day. So you'd give people £1 off for er...a day and a bit?
It’s far better than wasting the money on farcical rebranding,
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:55 pm I know a fair few people are saying "LOL this is great cos all the usual suspects will be REALLY mad about this" - and it seems some of them are - but come on, some of these names are really cringe.

I understand the rationale for making the lines more individually identifiable as they cover a wide area and being lumped together as the orange line wasn't always particularly helpful but just go with stuff that says where they go to/through/from.
Some of the people saying “love these names!!! Lol gammons will go mad!” are people who think that only the right wing are enthusiastically fighting a culture war
E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

The last 3 Underground lines were named after the current royal lineage: Victoria, Jubilee and Elizabeth. IMO a serious case of lacking imagination and forelock tugging in the extreme. At least the overground rebranding tries to give wider recognition to the achievements of more ordinary people.
The Windrush generation contributed so much to the rebuilding of this country after WWII and their children and grandchildren still do. It is also a reminder of the fact that they have been treated shamefully by more recent governments. Recognition of the Mildmay mission also feels good - but naming a line after the women's football team is a bit of a desperate attempt at 'football glory'. ;) (because it was a one off shortlived event and did not make a major contribution to life in this country). As somebody who studied Textile Engineering I also like the fact that Weavers receive recognition. Without their amazing skills the royals wouldn't have had their glorious satin and brocade gowns, carpets, curtains, etc. and ordinary people wouldn't even had the basic fabrics for making clothes.
Last edited by E10EU on Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

CEB wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:44 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:55 pm I know a fair few people are saying "LOL this is great cos all the usual suspects will be REALLY mad about this" - and it seems some of them are - but come on, some of these names are really cringe.

Some of the people saying “love these names!!! Lol gammons will go mad!” are people who think that only the right wing are enthusiastically fighting a culture war
Is this really enthusiastically fighting a culture war?
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

They all become the “Chunder Line” after 23:00.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

I think Greater Anglia own that trade mark
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

EliotNes wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:16 pm Interesting take on the Upminster to Romford Line - the Liberty Line -

Shouldn’t that have been The Coke Line.